It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2010, 04:08 AM   #1
(female)

amarula HB User
Lightbulb Do bananas help or harm you & Other comprehensive list!

Hi everyone,

Do bananas help or hurt you? According to the "lists" bananas if ripe and speckled are supposed to help but yesterday I had one of these and felt terrible.

So I'm hoping that everyone could make a list of foods that help and hurt them individually to share with each other. Thus far, I've figured out the banana for me and as I learn/come across more for either category I'll post!

Last edited by amarula; 05-11-2010 at 04:09 AM.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Do bananas help or harm you & Other comprehensive list!

Bananas really are an individual thing. I've seen posters on here that have great luck eating them. I never had any luck with them personally they are a trigger food for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User

I can't eat the Bananas when they are ripe and speckled as you described.
It's always best i buy them green and eat just as they begin to turn yellow.

Be Well
BeHappy2

Old 05-12-2010, 05:05 AM   #4
(female)

amarula HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
Bananas really are an individual thing. I've seen posters on here that have great luck eating them. I never had any luck with them personally they are a trigger food for me.
That was the point of my post :-) The effect of foods are unique, naturally. I've read of people who can't eat things like plain potatoes but are fine on a glass of wine so very specific to each person. That said, my goal was to discuss what foods trigger or help you as an individual.

Since bananas are also a trigger food for you, I'd be interested in hearing what other foods are triggers? Thanks!

Old 05-12-2010, 05:08 AM   #5
(female)

amarula HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeHappy2 View Post
I can't eat the Bananas when they are ripe and speckled as you described.
It's always best i buy them green and eat just as they begin to turn yellow.

Be Well
BeHappy2
I'm liking your signature! Seems like ripe bananas are a trigger for many yet in all the list of foods to avoid they are not even mentioned. I spent some time yesterday looking and they were suggested as foods to actually eat. This was on consumer websites as well as medical journals.

I only recently started liking bananas again and go figure, they don't make me feel too good. I'm not a fan or any that are less than speckled so I'll have to stick to other fruits. What about other foods? Do the green/slight yellow actually help you or no effect? Thanks!

Old 05-12-2010, 08:57 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarula View Post
I'm liking your signature! Seems like ripe bananas are a trigger for many yet in all the list of foods to avoid they are not even mentioned. I spent some time yesterday looking and they were suggested as foods to actually eat. This was on consumer websites as well as medical journals.

I only recently started liking bananas again and go figure, they don't make me feel too good. I'm not a fan or any that are less than speckled so I'll have to stick to other fruits. What about other foods? Do the green/slight yellow actually help you or no effect? Thanks!
Bananas are wonderful food but I don't think so good for GERD. The ripe ones in particular have tons of sugar and carbs, both of which are not good for GERD. Ripe bananas feel good going down but give me heartburn. Maybe a small, not so ripe banana would be better.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User

Orange Juice.. I get terrible heart burn drinking Orange juice.

Now this may sound strange but i am still trying different brands of OJ
Generic brands are the worse for me.
Prairie Farms is not as bad, i want to try the Simply juice i think it's called.

I posted earlier about the Bananas and just thought about the orange juice and how it can effect me with heart burn. Hopefully i may find one that won't casue this..i hope.

Be well
BeHappy2

Closed Thread