It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2010, 08:18 PM   #31
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User
Re: Getting off PPI's and Acid Rebound-What has worked for me- Four months later

Thank you LMF:

Another pretty decent day today. I notice that Saturdays and Sundays tend to be reflux free days for me for the most part. It could be the stress of day to day work as well as the fact that I do more sitting and less exercising during the week when I am at work. I probably also eat faster during the week and sometimes have to go off my GERD diet due to availability of certain foods. Well, here is to a few more GERD free days ahead. I'll keep you all posted and thank you for all your support.

Rose

Old 07-26-2010, 08:51 AM   #32
(female)

tryingtorelax HB User
Re: Getting off PPI's and Acid Rebound-What has worked for me- Four months later

Hi- Just wanted to say thank you for your post - I tried the DGL, cal/mag, along with aloe vera juice 2x/day and enzymes with every meal and I've made it a week without my PPI. Gas-x is also relieving pressure and getting rid of the pain, go figure. Your encouraging story got me going in the right direction. Now that my esophagus isn't irritated I just have to find out what foods are possibly causing problems for me. Thanks rosebloom!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2010, 08:55 AM   #33
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtorelax View Post
Hi- Just wanted to say thank you for your post - I tried the DGL, cal/mag, along with aloe vera juice 2x/day and enzymes with every meal and I've made it a week without my PPI. Gas-x is also relieving pressure and getting rid of the pain, go figure. Your encouraging story got me going in the right direction. Now that my esophagus isn't irritated I just have to find out what foods are possibly causing problems for me. Thanks rosebloom!
Thank you for your kind post. I think we are here to help and support one another. Reading other people's posts and their struggles with this disorder has been the only thing that has kept me going this far without running back to the PPI's. I have not been able to receive much support from my family doctor other than to offer me yet another PPI or add another drug to deal with the side effects of the PPI, and I am sick of that.

What others have posted here has been incredibly helpful to me as well.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:20 AM   #34
(female)

missjade11 HB Usermissjade11 HB Usermissjade11 HB User

Wow nice! good for you there.

I'm also now PPI free and doing well using
Bastyr Formula B, Aloe Vera 2 X a day, digestive enzyme- I don't use the one with HCI (I dont think I have low acid) 3 X a week (you dont want to over use enzymes then your stomach will stop making them and rely on the enzyme-this was a doctor warning to me), VSL#3 probiotic, cal/mag, and Ulcetrol by Now Foods. And my gastritis and acid reflux is looking better these days. Of course eating a healthy diet!

Last edited by missjade11; 07-31-2010 at 10:23 AM.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:55 PM   #35
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by missjade11 View Post
Wow nice! good for you there.

I'm also now PPI free and doing well using
Bastyr Formula B, Aloe Vera 2 X a day, digestive enzyme- I don't use the one with HCI (I dont think I have low acid) 3 X a week (you dont want to over use enzymes then your stomach will stop making them and rely on the enzyme-this was a doctor warning to me), VSL#3 probiotic, cal/mag, and Ulcetrol by Now Foods. And my gastritis and acid reflux is looking better these days. Of course eating a healthy diet!
I am going to have to check into the Bastyr Formula. I think you are the second poster who has written about using it with success in combination with other remedies. I had another pretty decent day today and I even went off the diet a bit and had a little bit of a soda with no heartburn. I am not going to tempt the devil too much, but it is nice to have a "normal" day.

Rose

Old 08-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #36
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have had a string of three good days in a row, but I have continued to be very careful with what I eat. I have had to give up (sadly) on the green tea as it contains caffeine and it was irritating my stomach and causing heartburn. I had also been drinking some decaffeinated coffee and realized that it too was causing heartburn. I am by no means deprived as I eat a more limited but healthier diet at this point, but I miss the many things I used to be able to eat and drink while on the Aciphex.

I can have plenty of protein and vegetables, but only fruits in moderation. A banana sent me into a bout of horrible acid reflux last Monday. It appears I am going to have to give up bananas unless I cut them up and mix them with other foods or put a little bit in a fruit salad. I used to eat at least one banana a day.

I feel this is the way it is going to be with some good days and some bad days. Hopefully, I will be able to tolerate the bad days when I can anticipate a few good days coming up.

Here is to everyone's good health.

Rose

Old 08-08-2010, 06:03 AM   #37
(male)

gpinzone HB Usergpinzone HB User

I saw on another reflux board, People are taking Mastic Gum to help with the acid rebound. Anyone else try this?

Last edited by gpinzone; 08-08-2010 at 06:03 AM.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:55 PM   #38
Senior Veteran
(female)

I believe that Mastic gum is used to treat H-Pylori or the bacteria that can cause ulcers and heartburn in some people. I don't think it helps unless you suffer from H-Pylori.

Slippery elm capsules, on the other hand, are supposed to coat the esophagus and protect it from the acid. So is Aloe vera juice or in capsules as well as DGL.

I don't know if others have information on Mastic gum.

Rose

Old 08-10-2010, 08:36 AM   #39
(female)

abadgi HB User

Hey Rose,

Do you believe you are over the rebound now?
25th of this month will be my 3 moinths off.I still have bad days and good days in between.Can it last 3 months and more.
In specific how long did ur rebound last?

Thanks
Anu

Old 08-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #40
(female)

meggy8868 HB User

Take one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a tall glass of water 3x's a day.

I am completely off protonix now. The vinegar cures all the stomach ailments. Truly a wonder cure, and too cheap to be considered by drug companies.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #41
Inactive
(female)

SureBett HB User

Hi Rosebloom, I am new here....and read your post and updates, I want to say good luck with that...you were smart to research that med and attempt a different path, even if just to test the waters....sometimes we have to do that...

I wondered if you could mention what the acronym of the supplement w/magnesium in it...some of the acronyms on here are confusing as I am just starting on my journey to find information on relux

I also posted a question about the vinegar that is being used for reflux....is this a product purchased from a specialty store?

I noticed that they blocked the place you ordered one of your products from....I suppose this is an internet site that sells homeopathic products?

I hope you are still having good days with your new treatment trials....

good luck...thanks for any info

Old 08-10-2010, 09:09 PM   #42
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadgi View Post
Hey Rose,

Do you believe you are over the rebound now?
25th of this month will be my 3 moinths off.I still have bad days and good days in between.Can it last 3 months and more.
In specific how long did ur rebound last?

Thanks
Anu
Hi Abadgi:

I think my rebound is over now. I don't have the horrible "attacks" of heartburn I had those first three months. But I still have episodes of heartburn weekly. I have three or four good days and then usually two to three so-so days when I experience mild to moderate heartburn. I think that is just the course of the disorder or disease or whatever this is for me. I take Zantac on the days my stomach burns and nothing but the supplements on other days.

I think for most of us off meds, we can expect this is going to be the course of this disorder.

I am taking the apple cider vinegar, calcium/D3/magnesium supplements, DGL and other vitamins/minerals. Not sure if those help or not. I am doing my best.

Rose

Old 08-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #43
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureBett View Post
Hi Rosebloom, I am new here....and read your post and updates, I want to say good luck with that...you were smart to research that med and attempt a different path, even if just to test the waters....sometimes we have to do that...

I wondered if you could mention what the acronym of the supplement w/magnesium in it...some of the acronyms on here are confusing as I am just starting on my journey to find information on relux

I also posted a question about the vinegar that is being used for reflux....is this a product purchased from a specialty store?

I noticed that they blocked the place you ordered one of your products from....I suppose this is an internet site that sells homeopathic products?

I hope you are still having good days with your new treatment trials....

good luck...thanks for any info
I buy a liquid form of calcium/magnesium/D3 suspension that you can buy at the local healthfood store. The one I take is made by Bluebonnet and comes in different flavors. It is like taking a tablespoon of yogurt. I guess I can't list the name of the store or it will be deleted. I take two tablespoons a day and it supposedly has the required daily dose of these supplements. There are other brands. This happens to taste decent to me.

The vinegar I buy is Braggs and I think you can also buy it at the local healthfood store. I have read here that it does not have to be this type of vinegar to treat heartburn. Apparently what helps neutralize or raise the PH of the excess hydrochloric acid in the stomach is the acetic acid in the vinegar. Apple cider vinegar has other nutrients that may be good for you, so maybe it is better to take the ACV for general health purposes, but you can probably take any other vinegar with similar results.

I still have good days and bad days no matter what I do. I still have to take a Zantac here and there or my stomach will burn and bother me for hours.

Hope this information helps.

Rose

Old 08-11-2010, 05:14 AM   #44
(male)

gpinzone HB Usergpinzone HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebloom View Post
I buy a liquid form of calcium/magnesium/D3 suspension that you can buy at the local healthfood store. The one I take is made by Bluebonnet and comes in different flavors. It is like taking a tablespoon of yogurt. I guess I can't list the name of the store or it will be deleted. I take two tablespoons a day and it supposedly has the required daily dose of these supplements. There are other brands. This happens to taste decent to me.

The vinegar I buy is Braggs and I think you can also buy it at the local healthfood store. I have read here that it does not have to be this type of vinegar to treat heartburn. Apparently what helps neutralize or raise the PH of the excess hydrochloric acid in the stomach is the acetic acid in the vinegar. Apple cider vinegar has other nutrients that may be good for you, so maybe it is better to take the ACV for general health purposes, but you c
an probably take any other vinegar with similar results.

I still have good days and bad days no matter what I do. I still have to take a Zantac here and there or my stomach will burn and bother me for hours.

Hope this information helps.

Rose
Rose

When you had your scope done what did the GI doctor find?

Old 08-11-2010, 07:42 AM   #45
(female)

missjade11 HB Usermissjade11 HB Usermissjade11 HB User

I've been off my PPI for a while now, and not experiencing much problem its rare now. I take a VSL#3 packet in water and drink that and two slippery elm and two dgl and for some reason it just calms down again and i can carry on, i have to eat healthy though and cant go back to like say tomato or anything, but over all my rebound is over and my acid reflix is calm, thats coming from someone with 4 years of this.

Closed Thread