It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #106
(female)

mind mist HB User
Re: Getting off PPI's and Acid Rebound-What has worked for me- Four months later

Hi Lizzy

I was on 40 mg Nexium/day for about a month as well. Once I reached 25 doses, I tapered off the last 5 (rotating with Zantac) so it wouldn't stop abruptly. My GP wanted me to take another 30 day supply but I only ended up using one pill from that packet. My last Nexium was April 27 and I haven't had any rebound heartburn. I do however experience occasional bloating and that uncomfortable "achey" feeling in my stomach region. I think my digestive system is still struggling to get back to normal and my entire body is probably deficient on vitamins. I'm trying to use a proper diet, exercise and supplements to get back on track...but it's definitely a slow, frustrating process.

best of luck with your recovery

Old 05-21-2011, 11:35 PM   #107
(male)

oellph HB User
Re: Getting off PPI's and Acid Rebound-What has worked for me- Four months later

Things have been going ok for me. Gum during the day. Digestive enzyme with dinner. I have a water bed which makes raising the head of the bed difficult though. I normally feel a bit of reflux in the night if I'm on my right side. However last night / this morning is the worst so far. My throat still burns after being up and awake for over an hour. I don't normally get that. I did have half a glass of milk the evening before with one cookie, so perhaps that was the culprit. Either that or the tablets are still wearing off (been off them for just over two weeks now) and this is a new phase.

I have to say, for me I feel my problem is a relaxed les. So even with normal acid levels Im starting to think this will always happen. It then comes down to the choice... Keep acid levels low to prevent damage to my esophagus or try to minimize it when it does happen.

The following user gives a hug of support to oellph:
ConnieJene (07-12-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #108
(female)

BlueSky17 HB User

Hello!
I'm having the EXACT SAME PROBLEM WITH REFLUX! I was on prilosec for 8 months (you can look at my posting to know a little more about my situation) and stopped it cold turkey because I was beginning to have side effects like blurred vision and vertigo, which was really scary. My family doc actually wanted to INCREASE the dosage, but that was a no no. I've been on 20 mg of pepcid a day, and it's been one month. Since I think the drastic reduction from ppi to h2 blocker (had to do all my own research on the subject) was harsh on my bowels, I'm increasing my dosage to 40 mg of pepcid a day tomorrow. Did you completely stop your ppi and just substitute with an h2 blocker as well? Please let me know Im so desperate at this point I just want to eat and drink whatever the hell I want again! All I had was a little heartburn and I didn't ask for this! Thanks,
Serena

Old 06-07-2011, 05:52 AM   #109
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky17 View Post
Hello!
I'm having the EXACT SAME PROBLEM WITH REFLUX! I was on prilosec for 8 months (you can look at my posting to know a little more about my situation) and stopped it cold turkey because I was beginning to have side effects like blurred vision and vertigo, which was really scary. My family doc actually wanted to INCREASE the dosage, but that was a no no. I've been on 20 mg of pepcid a day, and it's been one month. Since I think the drastic reduction from ppi to h2 blocker (had to do all my own research on the subject) was harsh on my bowels, I'm increasing my dosage to 40 mg of pepcid a day tomorrow. Did you completely stop your ppi and just substitute with an h2 blocker as well? Please let me know Im so desperate at this point I just want to eat and drink whatever the hell I want again! All I had was a little heartburn and I didn't ask for this! Thanks,
Serena
Hi Serena:

If you have a chance to read over the entire thread you will see that this was a lengthy process of trial and error that took me many, many months. My rebound lasted for months. I did switch from the PPI to Zantac nearly cold turkey which is a regret I now have. Others have written here about how they went about weaning off from one to the other. I also tried many natural remediies such as DGL, Apple Cider Vinegar and others. Please take some time to look through the thread to get a sense of what to do.

Note of warning. You may never be able to eat and drink all you want again. My diet has been greatly altered in order to be able to live off the PPI. Not what you want to hear, I am sure.

Wishing you the best and a speedy recovery.

Rosebloom

Last edited by rosebloom; 06-07-2011 at 05:53 AM.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:32 AM   #110
(female)

shayd2000 HB User

Rose I can not thank you enough what you wrote on here has gotten me threw all this its been 2 and a half months since ive taken my last ppi meds Im on zantac 75 once in the morning and once in the evening no burning I feel great other than the zantac is giving me head aches Ive switched meds and they all give me headaches so I realy would like to get off them I tryed cutting my morning pill in half and I burned all day so Im back to the full does with these headaches. The funny thing is I didnt even have heart burn before I started PPIs I was eating late at night and going to bed and I would wake up with chest pains Im positive if I would of changed my diet and no eating before bed I would of gotten rid of those chest pains but a few weeks into taking the ppis I felt great and stoped taking them that was the 1st time I experienced heartburn so of course I went back on my ppis and for two years I tryed to get of them up untill I found you on here and I finaly went of them for good 2 and a months. Now my question is how did you get of the zantac I feel teriffic on it but when I cut my pill in half to try and take less horrobile burning if I could just get meds free with no burning so I can get rid of these headaches thanks again for everything

Old 08-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #111
(female)

lonely011 HB User

Rosebloom,

Thank you so much for sharing your journey. I am getting off Nexium tomorrow and will switch to Zantac 150mg 2x day. I was wondering if you can tell me how often did you take DGL and ACV in the first few weeks as well as how did you decide on your supplements. I was taken of all vitamins when I started having my health issue.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #112
(male)

felicks HB User

Definitely try plenty of water with squeezed limes.. It has completely reversed my gerd. I had it for 11 years. If it works, go for betaine hydrochloride pills. You can find them at a health/supplement store. I CANNOT believe how many ppis I was taking.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:11 AM   #113
(female)

lonely011 HB User

How much lime do you squeeze in a cup of water?

Thanks!

Old 08-26-2011, 06:48 AM   #114
(male)

felicks HB User

until you can taste the acid, but not too over-powering. Do it on an empty stomach before eating. It is amazing how many of us have low stomach acid and don't even know it.

Closed Thread