It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
(male)

furiousracer313 HB User
Very Bad Acid Reflux, Getting worse on young adult, please help

I am posting this in order to hopefully find a cure to my horrible problem. Here it goes. Back in November 2009 I started to develop very bad acid reflux, when I ate, and when I worked out. I went to the doctor and got some Prolesec. It helped for like 2 months and when I got off my medication it just came back. I delt with it since it wasn't too bad until December 2009. I then went back. I was experiencing very bad acid reflux and could no longer eat like I use to to gain muscle. I would eat 6 eggs(2 yolks), tortillas, healthy sandwiches, tuna, beef, chicken, fish, and protein shakes. Initially I thought it was the protein shakes and the big meals I would eat. But when I stopped that for months it felt like it was just getting worse and I'm only 19. I feel like there is a piece of food stuck in my esophagus at times when i get this reflux. I even had an endoscopy done and they only found irritation at the bottom of the esophagus. The doctor game me some bs medicine that didnt help at all. It would get really bad when i did my workouts. Intense running, and weights. When I work out for some reason i start getting a lot of acid buildup, I dont know why because I eat 1 hour and 30mins before working out. It feels like the acid is burning a hole in my stomach, thats how bad it is, and I have to stop working out which makes me really really angry. I even take a pro-biotic, and orange peel extract. Even take ginger root tea to absorb the acid. Helps very little. So what is my problem, how do I make it go away?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: Very Bad Acid Reflux, Getting worse on young adult, please help

1. Buy some Prilosec OTC, and start taking one every morning on an empty stomach

2. Carry some Tums in your pocket all the time, whenever you get any symptoms, suck 2 of them like candys

3. Ask your doctor for a refer to a gastroenterologist - this needs to be sorted out

Old 05-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
(male)

laconstantine HB User

Anybody noticed that more and more young people getting those digestion related problems like acid reflux , ibs ,diabites type 2????

What the helll is wrong here?!?!
I put money its all because of the processed food...

Did you ever see in nature a fat lion??
Any kind of animal with diabities??

acid reflux???

Old 05-23-2010, 03:42 AM   #4
(male)

startrek99 HB User

Ok , i have had bad gastric reflux most of my adult life and now i am 47. recently i saw a post about someone who cured their insomnia while trying to solve their gastric reflux using sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). So i did a little research and then decided to try it. Bingo reflux is diminished and insomnia gone. reflux used to be really bad at bed time , now if it is i just use half a teaspoon on baking soda with a glass of water and the reflux goes and then i sleep like a baby. Also i have found that my body now feels much younger and i dont carry the usual tiredness that i used too.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousracer313 View Post
I am posting this in order to hopefully find a cure to my horrible problem. Here it goes. Back in November 2009 I started to develop very bad acid reflux, when I ate, and when I worked out. I went to the doctor and got some Prolesec. It helped for like 2 months and when I got off my medication it just came back. I delt with it since it wasn't too bad until December 2009. I then went back. I was experiencing very bad acid reflux and could no longer eat like I use to to gain muscle. I would eat 6 eggs(2 yolks), tortillas, healthy sandwiches, tuna, beef, chicken, fish, and protein shakes. Initially I thought it was the protein shakes and the big meals I would eat. But when I stopped that for months it felt like it was just getting worse and I'm only 19. I feel like there is a piece of food stuck in my esophagus at times when i get this reflux. I even had an endoscopy done and they only found irritation at the bottom of the esophagus. The doctor game me some bs medicine that didnt help at all. It would get really bad when i did my workouts. Intense running, and weights. When I work out for some reason i start getting a lot of acid buildup, I dont know why because I eat 1 hour and 30mins before working out. It feels like the acid is burning a hole in my stomach, thats how bad it is, and I have to stop working out which makes me really really angry. I even take a pro-biotic, and orange peel extract. Even take ginger root tea to absorb the acid. Helps very little. So what is my problem, how do I make it go away?
Hi Furiousracer:

So sorry you are dealing with heartbun and reflux at such a young age. My symptoms did not hit until my early fifties.

Suggestions: Start cutting back on food portions and cut back on your workouts for just a bit. Make sure you workout on an empty stomach and not after you eat to make sure that food is not getting pushed back up into your esophagus. Crunches are bad for reflux symptoms.

Your diet may be healthy but, as a young person who works out, you may be eating a lot of carbs and large portions. Make sure you eat hours before bedtime. Eat smaller meals more frequently and try supplements like DGL (licorice), aloe vera juice and (what helped me here recently quite a bit) taking two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water twice a day. If you read through these posts you will read of lots of remedies that have helped folks here. Changes in diet and lifestyle are a must.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

Rose

Old 05-25-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
(female)

fibrocrafter HB User

Right now I am suffering with chest discomfort, tightness and burning and my throat feels like it has a lump in it. All day I've felt on the verge of throwing up, and have no appetite. I used to be on Nexium, but ran out of prescription. I found this post and read your symptoms...I too workout, cause I'm an aerobic instructor and I think it jiggles the acid around or something. Not sure. But the lump in throat, I've also experienced with anxiety over the reflux. I was in the E.R. with it one time cause I couldn't swallow good and they thought I was having an anxiety attack and prescribed valium, and then I still had the discomfort so they gave me an Upper GI cocktail which I drank and it immedietely numbed me from the throat down. What a relief....and the doctor told me that my inflamed esophagus was the initial problem, and then I was anxious about it, so I caused exaggerated symptoms so it's like one was feeding off the other.....LOL....I guess, all I know is, I'm feeling that way right now and am not sure what to do about it.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

There are natural remedies that can be used to soothe an irritated esophagus. There is almond milk, DGL and aloe vera juice. None of them are "cures" but can help soothe the irritation until the flareup subsides.

Rose

Closed Thread