It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
(female)

NolCol HB User
ERCP - now feel like esophagus is tight

I had an ERCP on Friday to remove gall stones in the common bile duct, then Saturday had my gallbladder removed. Yesterday (Tuesday), the back of my throat hurts, not sore, just hurts, and my esophagus feels tight, almost like a lump feeling. I also have two sores on the inside of my mouth and my gums are really dark red and have a funny taste to them when I run my tongue over them. Could the ERCP or the breathing tubes for the surgeries have irritated things, or maybe the anesthesia drugs? I have GERD, had a hiatal hernia repaired 18 months ago. Of course now I'm freaking out about esophageal cancer - I'm a cancer phobic. I've never had the tight feeling in my esophagus before, so I'm assuming it's related to the ERCP or surgery. I have an appt with my GI doc, but I need some answers so I can sleep. I can eat but can feel it going down. Also, the GI doc put me on Nexium which I have never been on before, so wondering if maybe all of this is a side effect from that. Any info would be appreciated. Oh, I'm a 41 year old female, never smoked or drank. I had an EGD about seven years ago - no Barrett's. Everything looked fine then. How long does Barrett's take to turn into cancer? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Re: ERCP - now feel like esophagus is tight

Hi NolCol, Sorry you aren't feeling well. It sounds like you might have some swelling from having the tube down your throat. I wouldn't worry. But I am just like you so I can relate. I have reflux that comes and goes. I had an endoscopy a year and a half ago. The doctor found no damage. I have been doing well but now have a flare up AGAIN. I was up all night with stomach pain that came up to my sternum area. I have silent reflux and it effect my throat. I have a tight throat too right now. I feel like I have a thickness or something on my left side of my throat. Most of the time it doesnt hurt but if I lean or stretch a certain way I get a really bad pain or cramp there. It makes me wonder if I have a cyst or growth and I think bad scary thoughts. I don't know if I should take some reflux meds for awhile and see if it goes away or run to the doctor right away like I always do and have them take a look. I hate worrying...it just makes my reflux worse. Try not to worry, you did just have a procedure done. Good luck. Here to talk anytime.please wait 2 seconds for an uncompressed image, or press Ctrl+F5 for original quality page

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User
Re: ERCP - now feel like esophagus is tight

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolCol View Post
I had an ERCP on Friday to remove gall stones in the common bile duct, then Saturday had my gallbladder removed. Yesterday (Tuesday), the back of my throat hurts, not sore, just hurts, and my esophagus feels tight, almost like a lump feeling. I also have two sores on the inside of my mouth and my gums are really dark red and have a funny taste to them when I run my tongue over them. Could the ERCP or the breathing tubes for the surgeries have irritated things, or maybe the anesthesia drugs? I have GERD, had a hiatal hernia repaired 18 months ago. Of course now I'm freaking out about esophageal cancer - I'm a cancer phobic. I've never had the tight feeling in my esophagus before, so I'm assuming it's related to the ERCP or surgery. I have an appt with my GI doc, but I need some answers so I can sleep. I can eat but can feel it going down. Also, the GI doc put me on Nexium which I have never been on before, so wondering if maybe all of this is a side effect from that. Any info would be appreciated. Oh, I'm a 41 year old female, never smoked or drank. I had an EGD about seven years ago - no Barrett's. Everything looked fine then. How long does Barrett's take to turn into cancer? Thanks!
Barretts can take many years to turn into cancer or it may never turn into cancer for many people. I think the most important thing is to monitor. But it does not sound like you have Barrett's so best to not worry about that.

These GI symptoms tend to come and go and drive us crazy. It is important to work hard at getting the symptoms under control and try to remain positive. Read as much as you can through these posts and you will find much useful information. It also sounds like you are under good medical care and your doctor is keeping up with all your symptoms.

Best wishes to you and keep us posted.

Rose

Closed Thread