It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
(female)

Arggg HB UserArggg HB UserArggg HB User
Natural/alternative ways to relieve heartburn?

I have frequent mild heartburn. I can't take anything with salicylates (such as Pepto-Bismol, Mylanta, all the good ones). I'm allergic to Zantac and prescription antacids - they make me break out in hives all over.

I've heard that baking soda is helpful, but I don't know how much to use. Does anybody use a natural product like this? Please give me some advice!

THANKs for all your helpful advice. I think my HB is mainly due to stress, but I'm avoiding spicy food, dairy, and chocolate.

Last edited by Arggg; 06-08-2010 at 11:22 AM. Reason: addition

Old 06-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Natural/alternative ways to relieve heartburn?

Baking soda: The instructions are actually on the little box of Arm and Hammer! 1/4 teaspoon dissolved fully in water. (Do NOT eat undissolved baking soda.) However, baking soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) is rather high in salt. Have you tried just plain Tums or Rolaids? They have no salicylates, the active ingredient is plain calcium carbonate.

Also, what diet and lifestyle modifications have you tried? Have you noticed what particular foods trigger it? If so, you should probably avoid those foods.

Eating small meals, eating slowly, sitting up straight during and after meals and not eating late at night can also help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Tums are safe, and they are natural (calcium carbonate is chalk) They are also better for youm than baking soda (that has too much sodium)

Old 06-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arggg View Post
I have frequent mild heartburn. I can't take anything with salicylates (such as Pepto-Bismol, Mylanta, all the good ones). I'm allergic to Zantac and prescription antacids - they make me break out in hives all over.

I've heard that baking soda is helpful, but I don't know how much to use. Does anybody use a natural product like this? Please give me some advice!
I suggest DGL which is a form of licorice that does not cause a rise in your blood pressure like regular licorice. You can purchase it at any healthfood store. It comes in tablets that you can suck and let dissolve in your mouth. I buy the type that is chocolate flavored and sugar free and it tastes pretty good. It coats and soothes your esophagus. Another remedy is drinking aloe vera juice once a day. A little goes a long ways.

There is an over the counter antiacid called Briosch which is a lemmon flavored form of bicarbonate of soda. It fizzles like Alka Seltzer when dissolved in water, and tastes lemmony. I use that ocassionally for heartburn that comes suddenly after a meal.

A remedy I tried that did not work for me was taking D-Limonene capsules. This is orange peel extract and I think the product is called Heartburn Free. You may want to read about it and try it. You are supposed to take the capsules every other day for twenty days and it is supposed to relieve heartburn for up to six months. I took it during the height of my acid rebound symptoms when I was withdrawing from PPI use in January. I may actually try it again now that I think I am over the acid rebound.

I also drink apple cider vinegar (two tablespoons dissolved in water) twice a day through a straw. I have found that it helps me. Apple cider vinegar is a somewhat controversial remedy as it involves drinking an acidic product to relieve acid. Again, you may want to read on all these and see which work for you.

Calcium is supposed to have antiacid properties. I think it has to be the type that is chewable or liquid.

Hope these suggestions help and congratulations on your efforts to deal with this disorder through natural alternatives.

Rose

Closed Thread