It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
(female)

Jayda222 HB User
Question GERD Attack

Can someone explain to me what a GERD attack is? How long does it last for?
Also, does the heartburn in relation to GERD feel like simple ole heartburn or is it more severe?
I am having a hard time understanding all this info I am reading. I am just wanting somone to explain to me how they felt when they have attacks??

Thanks so much!!

Also, is icecream a bad thing for GERD? The other night I had a cholocate cone and in 30 min I felt I was going to die from intense burning?

Old 06-27-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
(female)

Jayda222 HB User
Re: GERD Attack

Can someone please give me some info. I would appreciate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
(male)

GERDlife HB User

Jayda,

In regards to your first question please see my post labled GERD - do you have it?.

Quote:
Also, is icecream a bad thing for GERD? The other night I had a cholocate cone and in 30 min I felt I was going to die from intense burning?
Chocolate and the fat in icecream are two trigger foods for acid reflux. If you like icecream, try a low-fat or fat-free icecream and avoid the chocolate.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
(female)

Jayda222 HB User

Thank you. I have been going thru torment in the past few months with this chest burning pain. I went to the ER again 2 days ago fearing my heart. Everything seems to be okay in that region, but none the less, the pain is bad. I will be pain free for a few days, even weeks and the pain hits me. It will last from 15 min to hours or more, the pain is in waves. Even though its burning, it does not feel like regular heartburn and that is what scares me.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
(male)

GERDlife HB User

You should go see a Gastroenterologists (GI doctor) a make sure you don't have an underlying heath issue or illness dealing with your GI track. You may possible have an ulcer or something of the sort.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
(female)

Jayda222 HB User

I am tomorrow, I am going to ask for an EGD. I guess what is so scary is that no one explained to me how this GERD is supposed to feel. I am on edge all the time, for fear of another spell of this coming on. I don't want to go out in public or out to eat for fear of this happening to me. I am ok in between spells and I try and be calm, but when it hits me, I am convinced I am dying and its my heart. I feel like a fool going to the er all the time, but damn this is painful.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:29 PM   #7
(male)

GERDlife HB User

I really know what you are going through as I have went through the very same thing (read the post "GERD - My story).

GERD really takes over your life and makes it hard for you to function. The tough part is that everyone around you doesn't understand what you are going through and most of them think that this is "all in our head." It's not, it is a very real issue and takes time to understand and get under control. GERD dosen't just go away like a cold or the flu, it's a life long disease that we have to learn how to deal with. You are in your first year of living with GERD, but I can assure you that in time you will get better - just keep hope alive.

In the following days I will make some post about medications, home remedies and other things that can help you get better - visit often.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #8
(female)

Jayda222 HB User

Thanks and yes, those around me do not understand. My husband thinks I am imagining it and that its just anxiety, etc. Yes, it causes me anxiety b/c I never know when this pain will hit me. I am so worried, its my heart still. I try and think if it was, I would be having pain upon doing things, etc and that it would not come and go for weeks on end.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #9
(male)

greg1x HB User

Jayda,
Ask the gastroenterologist about esophageal spasms as well. I have had these off and on, and very cold things like ice cream, really bring them on, or make worse.
Greg

Old 06-29-2010, 06:00 PM   #10
(female)

Jayda222 HB User

I am seeing a Gastro in July, I had a spell today of chest pain. I had went thru a drive thru, got a drink and a grilled chicken and in 10 min I thought I was having a heart attack. I got this severe burning chest pressure and felt like I had a burp stuck in between my boobs, finally burped and the pain stopped. I feel like I am going insane.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #11
(female)

urgentneedhelp HB User

How does the test tell? I want to hear the result

Old 07-07-2010, 10:18 PM   #12
(female)

Jayda222 HB User

I go to the gastro on the 15th. Thanks

Closed Thread