It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
(female)

xoxoLife HB User
Is it acid reflux if there is no burning, chest pain but only tight throat feeling?

For the past 3 months my throat has been feeling like it is closing up or there is a lump (like when you swallow a pill and it gets stuck). There is no pain and I can breath/swallow fine. Dr gave me Ran-Pantoprzole because she thought I had acid reflux but I don't have any other symptoms like burning sensation, chest pains, etc. Occassionally I get little burps but that's it. I took the meds for a week but nothing changed (or maybe I need to take it longer for it to take effect?). Anyway, when I lie down or wake up, throat is fine but gets tighter as the day goes on!

I'm a healthy 30 y/o female who doesn't smoke or drink so can't figure out what this could be but it's getting real depressing! I also got a throat ultrasound and it came back normal.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
(female)

karate_mom HB User
Re: Is it acid reflux if there is no burning, chest pain but only tight throat feelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoLife View Post
For the past 3 months my throat has been feeling like it is closing up or there is a lump (like when you swallow a pill and it gets stuck). There is no pain and I can breath/swallow fine. Dr gave me Ran-Pantoprzole because she thought I had acid reflux but I don't have any other symptoms like burning sensation, chest pains, etc. Occassionally I get little burps but that's it. I took the meds for a week but nothing changed (or maybe I need to take it longer for it to take effect?). Anyway, when I lie down or wake up, throat is fine but gets tighter as the day goes on!

I'm a healthy 30 y/o female who doesn't smoke or drink so can't figure out what this could be but it's getting real depressing! I also got a throat ultrasound and it came back normal.
I think it's anxiety. I have the same exact thing. Ive done the tests, and all normal. I have decaf coffee, but it happens alot after I drink it, and probably has to do with the caffeine that is in coffee. Even decaf. i hate this feeling, so i tried Xanax. Which helps a bit, but my dose is so low, I can't really tell.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2010, 04:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Is it acid reflux if there is no burning, chest pain but only tight throat feelin

Quote:
For the past 3 months my throat has been feeling like it is closing up or there is a lump (like when you swallow a pill and it gets stuck).
The feeling you describe is one of the most common symptoms a type of acid reflux called laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR) and sometimes "silent reflux" because it isn't accompanied by typical heartburn symptoms.

The lump is usually caused by an area in your esophagus that has been irritated by the acid from your digestive system. The medication your doctor prescribed should help the irritated area heal but it generally takes longer than a week (4-12 weeks is common).

You may also want to try modifying your diet by minimizing caffeinated drinks and alcohol, avoiding tomato-based sauces and foods containing peppermint, eating smaller meals and not eating for 2-3 hours before bed. Given time, and medication, the esophagus will heal but you may need to monitor your diet to keep it from recurring.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
(female)

xoxoLife HB User

Thank you for the replies. The oddest thing is when I wake up my throat is fine but as the day goes on, it gets worse (tighter, lump feels bigger, etc.). When I lie down it gets better - as if there is some sort of "reset" button to switch the feeling on/off. There has also been the odd occassion where it feels fine for a day but then next day it is back!

I will definitely have to watch my diet more closely because I do eat the things mentioned above that I should stay away from.

Closed Thread