It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2010, 02:55 AM   #1
(male)

melkon HB User
night-time cough

I've had GERD for over 15 years. For the last 10 years or so it's been well-controlled by omeprazole 20mg.

Since I started having breathrough reflux symptoms a few months ago (e.g. burning in chest/throat), I've gotten a new symptom I haven't experienced before. It's this very annoying and kind of scary dry cough that wakes me up from deep sleep. I wake up with this very uncomfortable dry hacking cough, and an unpleasant irritation in my chest/lungs, feels almost like I'm choking a little. It feels much like when I used to get bronchitis many years ago.

What I'm wondering is if this kind of cough is usally caused specifically by acid itself being refluxed, or can it just be other "stuff" that happens to be in your stomach at the time. If it's an acid-related problem perhaps upping the dose of my omeprazole might help. But if it's not an acid thing then I don't know what to do to stop it. Help, thanks.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
Re: night-time cough

I get this also, I have had acid reflux since 1981. The coughing started this past year. Not sure why exactly, but if I watch what I eat it doesn't happen. I mean really watching what I eat, and being careful not to eat after 6pm. I know that is a hard rule to maintain, but it usually works.

Sunny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

yup, I too had this nighttime coughing pretty bad, felt just like asthma attacks I got when sick with bronchitis. Supposedly it's from the actual reflux, which you can be more susceptible to when lying down. My "cough" completely went away once I started taking PPIs to control the GERD, and it's only happened to me once since, that was as of recent and it's probably b/c i'm pregnant and missed a dose of nexium

Old 07-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
(male)

melkon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sunny1 View Post
I get this also, I have had acid reflux since 1981. The coughing started this past year. Not sure why exactly, but if I watch what I eat it doesn't happen. I mean really watching what I eat, and being careful not to eat after 6pm. I know that is a hard rule to maintain, but it usually works.

Sunny
Thanks Sunny. I'll admit I like eating late. I'm often snacking on something after 9pm. It would be tough to change my schedule but I'll try it and see if it helps.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
(male)

melkon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowfish View Post
yup, I too had this nighttime coughing pretty bad, felt just like asthma attacks I got when sick with bronchitis. Supposedly it's from the actual reflux, which you can be more susceptible to when lying down. My "cough" completely went away once I started taking PPIs to control the GERD, and it's only happened to me once since, that was as of recent and it's probably b/c i'm pregnant and missed a dose of nexium
Thanks Mellow, it sounds like your cough was caused specifically by the acid. I think mine might be too since the cough appeared around the same time my heartburn started reoccuring. Thus maybe upping my omeprazole dose or trying a different PPI might help. I've heard of some folks that in addition to taking PPI's during the day, take an H2 blocker at bedtime. Maybe I'll try that.

It's big problem when the cough happens for me as it usually takes me an hour or two to get back to sleep as I keep coughing and the sensation in my chest/lungs is really uncomfortable and anxiety-producing. Sometimes I've been woken up several times in the same night, which really messes up the following day. I'm so sorry that anyone ever has to experience this miserable condition, but it does help to know I'm not alone and that some others have found ways to control the symptoms.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

another thing... I know it's recommended to take them in the AM, but have you tried dosing with the PPI in the evening? If you aren't eating/snacking too late you could wait a few hours after eating so your stomach has had time to empty before taking it.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
(male)

cheeseworm HB User

hello, My symptoms were the same as yours for 4 years after my operation. I am now ok. see my message "success at last" on the acid reflux message board. regards Cheeseworm

Old 07-05-2010, 11:12 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

niharraj HB User

Before going 2 sleep keep 2 cloves in your mouth aside!
Don't eat them, it will helps to get rid of night - time cough and you can have a nice sleep without any problem.
This is a very good and beneficial home remedy for night-time cough.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:09 AM   #9
(female)

cookikim71 HB User

I have coughing all the time day and night has been going on for about a year or more. I"m not sure if it is reflux or not I am taking prevacid 2x a day. I'm tired of this and don't know what it is.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:30 AM   #10
(female)

Lynlyn HB User
Smile Re: night-time cough

I've found that drinking a glass or two of water will get rid of that nagging cough at night. I don't know if it clears the acid out of my throat or dilutes it or what, but it puts me right back to sleep. If I drink the water right before bed instead of waiting for a coughing attack, I usually won't have one at all.
On the other hand, then I have to get up a couple of times in the night to pee, LOL, but it's worth it.

Closed Thread