It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2010, 12:55 AM   #1
(female)

nikaj HB User
Unhappy so tired of going through this

I have been living with GERD for over ten years, I've pretty much tried everything and anything you can name to treat this condition. Now im currently on Nexium which seems to work better than all the other meds I've tried, but I still can't understand why when im at my first stage of sleep I get sick. I can sit up all night and be fine, but as soon as my body shuts down and I fall asleep, I have a very strong urge to vomit. I've tried to find information on the human body and what happens exactly when we fall asleep, I know that the heart rate slows down, and also a few more organs, but I couldn't find anything that would cause you to vomit in your sleep. This happens to me every night. I can only sleep in one position and that's pretty much sitting up. My bed is propped up, I have 7 pillows, and this still occur every night as soon as I fall asleep. If there is anyone who could help me with this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: so tired of going through this

So you can lie down during the day and feel ok as long as you're awake? Is that what you're saying?

I'm just speculating here, but it could be that when you relax toward sleep, your lower esophageal sphincter loosens, allowing the acid to creep up.

Have you tried sleeping on your left side?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
(male)

torcal HB User

GERD results from the over production of digestive acid in the stomach. I've had it for over 25 years and no doctor has ever explained to me a drug-free way to stop it. If you are suffering only from GERD with no other complications, ask your doctor to up your dosage to two or even three Nexium capsules per day. I took two per day for years and now I'm back to one.

Nexium is very expensive and there are much cheaper generic alternatives now sold over the counter. Prilosec is the one most recommended by the doctors I've talked to.

Good luck.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Torcal: Some people have GERD due to overproduction of acid, from Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome or another process.

Other people have a normal amount of acid in their stomachs, but the valve at the top of the stomach does a poor job of keeping the acid where it belongs. Sometimes this is caused by a hiatial hernia.

Acid reducing medicines usually provide at least some relief for both groups, as do lifestyle measures such as eating small meals and standing or sitting upright for a couple hours after eating.

And you're right, generic Prilosec (store-brand Omeprazole) is a much more economical alternative to prescription acid blockers. Studies show that all PPI's are about equally effective, too, at least on average. Some individuals may do better on one than on another, but there's no way to predict that.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Look up Digestinol on the Intenet. If it is too expensive, try aloe vera juice. The Digestinol does wonders and, no, I do not work for them. When my acid reflux was so bad and no drug was doing the trick, I went to the Internet and found Digestinol. There are all sorts of testimonials.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Hi Nikaj:

I have found that sleeping on my left side significantly reduces acid reflux at night for me.

Rose

Old 07-29-2010, 09:38 AM   #7
(female)

katerina1 HB User

hi there,
reading your post rings so many bells with me. I have had chronic GORD for 5 years and am now waiting on surgery for it. Also sleep on lots of pillows when its bad, and nights are worst.
I have learned to try a few tricks - maybe they will help you. So here they are for what they are worth. Try sleeping on your left side - many sufferers find it reduces the symptoms and doctors in field seem to agree.
Have you tried sleeping using one of those V shaped pillows ?- you simply cant roll off them, and when its really bad it works for me.
There is also the wedge pillow that goes under the mattress to raise the head - some folks find that helpful.

as for the Nexium, keep taking it. Its one of the best meds out there. But all PPIs (proton pump inhibitors) only stop the acid being pumped out into the system for about 18 hours. I never knew this till I read it in a book (happy to recommend a title if its allowed on here?).... every suffers a natural acid surge in the very early hours just after midnight. And if you combine that with the PPI not doing so much after 18 hours that could be affecting you. When do you take your nexium ? In the morning ? Maybe you could double up doses if your doc agrees, or take them later in the day to get you through the night. I used to take mine at 6am when I got up.... and always get an attack if there is going to be one around 2am cos I am lying down and the nexium has eased off..... So now I try to aim for later in the morning and for now it seems to be working.

Just keep on going - GORD is a rotten disease and so few docs seem to really get it. Mine once told me to "live with it, love"... and now they want to fix it with surgery. Dont give up hope - and keep on asking the medics for help.
Good luck :-)
Katerina

Closed Thread