It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
(female)

lyndseylou80 HB User
Nissen Fundoplication

I wanted to post something positive about the nissen. I had it done a month ago. It is obviously painful when you are first recovering since there are 5 small incisions but after that each day gets better and better.

I can eat pretty much anything and sometimes things get a little stuck but water washes it down. It isn't any different from when my esophagus was swollen from the acid and things got stuck.

As far as the reflux, I haven't had any. My concern was acid was coming all the way up and out my nose at night which would cause me to breath some in. I can tell if I eat something high acidic and spicy that I have very faint symptoms of 'heartburn' but I really could care less about that. As long as that acid stays down and I'm not breathing it in and working towards cancer, a tiny bit of discomfort when I eat foods that are just bothersome is welcomed. A doctor can't make your stomach like a childs where you can eat fried twinkies with no issues. It just doesn't work that way.

I think this can be a successful procedure if people are willing to accept responsibility for their own lifestyles and diet. I'm not overweight (5'1 106 lbs.) and I eat small meals, and fairly healthy (I do have a sweet tooth). I drink alcohol but I do not smoke. You don't have to be 'perfect' but don't expect to scarf down a bucket of fried chicken and have no issues.

I'm glad I did it. I'm not afraid to go to bed anymore. I couldn't ask for anything else.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lyndseylou80 For This Useful Post:
sara313 (06-19-2012), simplesoul (03-31-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
Re: Nissen Fundoplication

I'm happy to hear that the Nissen worked for you. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. I'm back on meds. I had relief for 2 months and then the reflux came back. I hope you'll have better luck than I did.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I think the success of a Nissen Fundoplication varies by person, but that certain types of reflux symptoms seem to have higher success rates for resolution with the fundoplication than others.

I had a Nissen Fundoplication about 2 years ago. My symptoms revolved around a chronic cough and difficulties breathing. I had symptom relief from the moment I woke after surgery. Due to other issues, I've never gone off of the PPI's though.

I am happy with my experience overall. I still watch what I eat though. If you aren't careful, things can get "stuck" above the wrap.

I didn't add solid meat back into my diet until about 3 months after surgery though. Please be careful about not pushing your eating too fast. It takes about 8 weeks for the swelling in your stomach to completely subside.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
questiongirl22 (02-19-2012)
Old 09-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #4
(female)

llt1013 HB User

I had my Nissen done about a year and a half ago. It took about 9 months before I felt like I really recovered from the surgery but I have felt much better since I had the procedure done! I was completely miserable before the surgery. I no longer have the upper body "stress" or the arm and kneck pain, my vocal chords have healed considerably, I no longer have constant bloating and although I have asthma it hopefully won't get any worse now that the acid is under control. The only scary thing about the procedure is not throwing up, I had the stomach flu last summer and cannot believe that my wrap did not come undone.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:46 AM   #5
(female)

katerina1 HB User

hey lyndseylou,

I just read your post and wanted to mail you as someone who seems to have had the nissen op around the same time as me this autumn. Wondered if you would mind me asking your advice?

Like you I am pleased with my op - its now 10 weeks and I am off the PPIs and other meds that I was on. To sleep without reflux is great, and the surgeon has said I can get on with life now, which of course I intend to. I am sure you know that feeling!

What worries me is the times when I heave so bad when my body wants to be sick - I have been doing it all afternoon today and I just dont know what to do. I know I cant be sick unless it is extreme, but it freaks me out when it happens. 4 hours into it now, tears streaming down my face in distress, and no-one seems to have any advice for me. The surgery was great, dont get me wrong..... but how do I handle this ? I have so little energy and food is really not agreeing with me.

I would love to hear any tips you have on how to live well after Nissen.
Thanks
Katerina

Old 11-30-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I had some nausea like issues after surgery. I have a standing prescription for Zofran or Phenegren from my doctor to take when I have problems, which isn't very often.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
katerina1 (11-30-2010)
Old 11-30-2010, 09:33 PM   #7
(female)

katerina1 HB User

thank you mountain reader!

Its good to have others here who know how i feel and who give advice and encouragement.... often more help than the medics themselves.
I see my doctor next week so will ask for help there too.

Thanks again :-)

Old 12-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Katerina,

I agree. That is what I love about these boards. The support we can give each other and discussions on things your doctors don't tell you about.

As my Gastroenterologist explained to me, your stomach is "upset" due to the trauma caused by the surgery. It really takes a while for the swelling to completely subside.

I didn't add solid meat and bread back into my post-surgery diet until about 3 months after surgery. It doesn't break down well when chewed and can have a tendency to get "stuck." I still avoid angel food cake even after 2 years because for some reason it gets "stuck" on me even when I take small bites.

Closed Thread