It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User
Can acid reflux cause a feeling of something in the back of your throat?

I have acid reflux, along with asthma, and along with severe anxiety. I take Lexapro for the anxiety and PPI's for the acid. I get that lump in the bottom of my throat feeling, and have found to not freak out over that. This new feeling is up high in my throat, in the back of my tongue area. It feels like I have phlegm almost and I have been constantly trying to swallow over and over, yet nothing goes away. Could this be from acid reflux? My reflux has been acting up, and my sinuses have been congested, but they always are. This has me completely freaked out. Thanks for any input. Michelle

Old 09-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Can acid reflux cause a feeling of something in the back of your throat?

The feeling of a lump in the throat (or something stuck in the throat) is a common symptom of acid reflux. That feeling is usually caused by an area in the throat the get irritated and inflamed by stomach acid. The area that is inflamed is probably what you're feeling.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
(male)

Seeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB User

Hi, I'm a guy with possible LPR, obsessing about it, enduring it for a month. As another guy with LPR, can I ask you, does it tend to come and go? Have you had any long breaks from it? What do you think of the recent placebo studies that show ppis don't affect the larynx symptoms (basically, all the stuff we LPR people want to go away).

I'm not trying to be a nay sayer, but there is a lot of BS that we LPRers get told, and then start believing. But let me ask you, and other sufferers this, what kind of a drug do you take double doses of for 6 months, and it either improves your symptoms, or in the majority of cases, doesn't. That sounds like they are treating the wrong thing.

I think LPR is real IF the patient also has GERD. But I think a lot of us are up the creek and can't expect any help, until maybe someday, someone is going to realize the same symptoms are caused by some virus or something. In my case, and a lot of other peoples cases, I had no heartburn, no GERD, and it's a little hard to believe that drugs that provide no relief for LPR sufferers, but do provide relief almost instantly for GERD sufferers, are the right therapy, or even treating the right bloody thing.

We might as well all just say we have been possessed by a "demon." That's about how much the medical community understands what we are dealing with. Anyway, how is your experience with it? Does it get better? What can I look forward to?

Old 11-17-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
(female)

hawkins6 HB Userhawkins6 HB User

With regard to phelm or acid coming up the back of your throat, I have that also. I have had heartburn for many years and have taken increasing doses of PPIs. Last year I had a TIF and was told I didn't need to take anything. After a month of suffering, I went back to taking one Omerprazole 40 MG about an hour before dinner. Just found out the TIF was a bust, so obviously, taking more and more pills did nothing for my reflux. At any rate, this is what happens to me IF I don't take one pill before dinner and IF I eat anything within two hours of bed, I fall asleep and am awakened by a vial, acidy substance coming up the back of my throat. It's not in my mouth where I could thow it up, I can only clear it out by clearing my throat repeatedly and drinking water to get it to go down again. Very painful and disgusting. I never had this before the TIF. Is this what happens to you also? Not for nothing, but do you have dry mouth? sinus? I am trying to find some connection to this problem.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
(male)

Seeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB User

Well Hawkins, this is exactly my case in point. You have heartburn AND throat symptoms so the ppi is a miracle worker for you.

However, a lot of so called LPR patients have no heartburn ever and didn't, then they got a bad cold, and suddenly they have these non-specific symptoms like: globus, a feeling of a stick in the throat, throat clearing after meals, and just other creepy stuff that feel totally new when it starts. It feels like a larynx issue, but ppis seldom help those people, placebo studies have more and more recently shown.

That's different. These people feel no acid come up in the night, unlike real GERD sufferers, yet they have these peculiar symptoms. They are told by ENT doctors these days, it's GERD. But I'm suggesting, these are about 3 or 4 different syndromes causing the same or similar type symptoms.

However, for people with bad heartburn, ppis and surgery will cure the throat symptoms too often. YET, for people with no heartburn, they say "geez. I take 2 ppis a day for 6 months and my symptoms just fluctuate randomly between good and bad."

I personally think they are going to find a virus someday that resembles GERD, or an allergy like mold, and all these ******* doctors are going to say "Ahhhhhh....."
Meanwhile people like me suffer for no reason.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
(female)

Lets hope somebody is doing research for this and for other non descript deseases. it appears to me that the doctors just hand out pills and if they work, they're happy and if not, they give you another kind. I have another condition where my mouth and gums burn. I have been to just about every kind of doctor you can think of and because they can't find anything wrong, they label it burning mouth syndrom and throw up theie hands. I know that something...virus, infection whatever, is causing this, but nobody is willing or able to find the problem. You bet, not everyone on PPIs has acid reflux. It's just a new catchall phrase to cover another "I don't know".

Old 11-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #7
(male)

Exactly. Do you know what we should do. We should make a LPR volunteer group, and actually use these message boards, to just get together and agree to let doctors do studies where they just experiment with different options. Try everything. Some use painkillers, some use anti-biotics, some use diet changes and types of food, some use excercise therapy, sometimes they just try anti-depressants, or drugs used for MS or Lupus or whatever.
They find the one that worked for the most patients, and then that becomes the go-to solution for LPR. As it is now, it's pathetic.
I'm thinking of just becoming a morphine addict. I'm pretty sure that would solve it FOR REAL at least for 7 hours a day. That's a hell of a lot better than the ppis do for every single LPR patient whose symptoms don't just mysteriously disappear one day. Man, I feel like this is a nightmare. Have you ever felt good for even one straight month since you came down with it, honestly?
I don't mean "good compared to awful" I mean "good good" like you felt before you were "diagnosed" with the 3 drops of acid a week bullcrap.
If that theory was true, everyone who vomited one time would have to be on ppis for a year (and don't forget to not clear your throat everybody!) This is utterly pathetic. Shame on the doctors for not trying to figure this one out. We are all just probably contracting a rare virus that only gets people who are really worn down.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #8
(female)

In theroy I agree with what you are saying. However, money and insurance is the major stumbling block. Doctors are working for the money and a study of that kind would not pay. Insurance sure isn't going to step up and pick up the tab and I doubt most of us could either.

If you are feeling that bad, maybe you should see another doctor. Yours can't be just acid reflux...maybe a galladder or something is acting up. You should not be feeling this bad every day. Please seek help from another doctor. What I did was call the doctors on my insurance plan and explain my symptoms to the nurse. I asked if the doctor had successfully dealt with such a case without just prescribing PPIs. Good luck.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:44 AM   #9
(male)

Yeah, that is a reality check. It does to a point come down to money. It's not like the good old days where one doctor became famous for curing rabies.
LPR cures probably aren't going to win the Nobel Prize or whatever.
However, that relates to the question I asked earlier: Do you feel basically ok most of the time? Is this just a general nuisance most of the time, like a sore hand or something? For me, it's sort of controlling my life. It's only been about 6 weeks though. Maybe I'll just get used to it and start ignoriing it? I quit ppis yesterday anyway. If that medication was going to work, I would have noticed its effects by now. I can't stand when people say "give it 6 months" because if you had a serious disease, and took anti-biotics for 6 months before they kicked in, you'd already be dead of the disease before they took effect.
Anyway, my question is just: Is it more or less just a mild nuisance to you, rather than a life consuming pain? I hope so if that is the case. That would explain why there really aren't that many LPR people talking on this site, relatively speaking. Maybe I'll get there too, but it won't be with ppis. I think that is just a cop out by the doctors who know even less than we do, since they aren't the ones experiencing the symptoms.
One last question comes to mind (sorry, I'm just curious about this whole thing): You mentioned a nurse who had actually successfully (key word) treated patients with this. So what was she able to do, besides the ppis? How was it different from a doctor who just randomly hands out the trial medication to see if you respond? Thanks
SS

Closed Thread