It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
(female)

mindy10 HB User
Anyone Throw Up Foamy Clear Bile

Hi everyone, Im real nervous for my mom. A little background. Always has been a very very nervous person. She has been throwing up bile now for 6 years. She describes it as foamy clean liquid. She can do this all day long on and off. It use to happen twice a year but now it happens once a week. No dr can tell her what is happening. She is at the point that she is scared to eat because she doesnt want to throw up so this week alone she lost 10 pounds. Has anyone ever heard of this. She is going for an endoscopy this week if I can talk her into it. Please send prayers her way that its nothing serious, Im very worried now. It stinks because she lives two hours from all her kids and has no friends or realatives down there. Im hoping she is just worrying so much she is making herself sick over it and its nothing life threatening. THanks for listening. Just trying to find some answers for her. Mindy

Old 10-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
(female)

mindy10 HB User
Throwing Up bile - white foam

My mom has been throwing up what she calls white foam. Its always clear and it does burn. If she eats, sometimes even when she drinks. She has been diagnosed with Acid Reflex but now she is having this symptom with it. She can throw this stuff up on and off for hours all day long. Has anyone had this with there acid reflex?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Throwing Up bile - white foam

Hi there! Throwing up can cause dehydration rather soon. A relative of mine had acid reflux had a recent surgery for a polyp and afterwards was vomiting. They checked him with ct scan I think it was and decided to go in and look at it. They found the that he had a twisted bowel! Has she seen a health professional recently? Maybe an emergency room if she can't hold down any liquids might help.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I get the same thing sometimes. For me it is worst for the first couple hours of the morning. I describe it as a clear bubbly foam. My dr. hasn't confirmed it as acid reflux, but I do have GERD/LPR so I attribute it to the reflux.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Anyone Throw Up Foamy Clear Bile

Hi..just a first-guess...it sounds as though she might have reflux (GERD), with response possibly resulting from stomach acid mixed with saliva (giving it the foamy stuff) affecting her esopageal lining...triggering the vomitting.

The other thing could maybe a hiatal hernia, putting pressure on her stomach or that area resulting in either reflux or gag reflex response from the regurgitated stomach acid.

Please let us know how the test goes for her.

If it is reflux or reflux as a result....the doc will probably give her meds to reduce the acid in her stomach so that the response to vomit might not be triggered.

She will probably feel better to eat if the response to vomit isn't there.

q

Old 10-05-2010, 03:52 AM   #6
(female)

mindy10 HB User

Hi Mountainrader thats exactly how my mom describes it as a white foam. Her dr's have no idea why she does this. She is going for an Endoscopy this week so I hope that rules out anything serious. Thanks for the response I think she will feel better knowing other people get this. Mindy

Old 10-05-2010, 04:35 AM   #7
(female)

mindy10 HB User

Thanks q, she does have a hiatal hurnia. She was diagnosed with that a long time ago. She also does have acid reflex, she experienced heartburn for years but now she has this weird throwing up clear bubbly stuff. I just hope the dr's can get to the bottom of this whereas it is taking over her whole life!!

Old 10-05-2010, 06:09 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi there! Someone told me you can check for dehydration by checking the skin. If the skin stays up a bit instead of popping right back into place a person is dehydrated. The skin may be dry. You can monitor fluid intake my measuring the amount of fluid taken in and measuring the amount of urine output in a hat and the amount of vomit she puts out to see if she retains any. I know that sounds gross but from those who suffer severely from this problem perhaps it is wise. The amount of fluid she takes in should be the same as what she puts out. If she is already dehydrated she will need to keep some in her system and may need a little more than she puts out to catch up. The truth is I still wonder about the emergency room for her because of this. If she is already severely dehydrated the endoscopy may not be soon enough, and worse still often they do some hefty removing of the contents of the digestive system before endoscopy procedures make sure the doctor knows everything about what has been happening before she is subjected to all this. If she becomes too dehydrated she might forget to report everything.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I can certainly see how it would take over her whole life....I hope the doctor can find what's going on with her and that she's able to get some relief.

Just out of curiosity...has she had chest x-rays done and lots of blood tests? What other issues has she got happening.

One other thing I just thought of is if she's taking a new supplement or maybe a new medication that might be breaking down in her stomach and with reflux it's causing a reaction for her to vomit.

Is she drinking enough fluids?

q

Old 05-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #10
(female)

pinkcotton67 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy10 View Post
Hi everyone, Im real nervous for my mom. A little background. Always has been a very very nervous person. She has been throwing up bile now for 6 years. She describes it as foamy clean liquid. She can do this all day long on and off. It use to happen twice a year but now it happens once a week. No dr can tell her what is happening. She is at the point that she is scared to eat because she doesnt want to throw up so this week alone she lost 10 pounds. Has anyone ever heard of this. She is going for an endoscopy this week if I can talk her into it. Please send prayers her way that its nothing serious, Im very worried now. It stinks because she lives two hours from all her kids and has no friends or realatives down there. Im hoping she is just worrying so much she is making herself sick over it and its nothing life threatening. THanks for listening. Just trying to find some answers for her. Mindy

Hi, it is called acid reflux/gerd. I have the same problem but not as long. Used to be every day several times a day this would happen to me, I had a tube put down my throat in the hospital to find out what was going on. Results chronic inflimation of the stomach. I had the acid reflux before this procedure was done. I take nexium but not sure if that is working by itself. I used to be on omiprizole and nexium which helped a lot but I was told I could only take one med at a time. I also was a huge mountain dew drinker, I have cut way down to maybe a can a day or less but noticed today after one can today and I over ate that I was throwing up foamy bile again. I would definately talk to the Dr and mention these things or ask for a gastroscopy I believe that is what it was called. I hope this is somewhat helpful and that your mom starts feeling better soon, I understand not wanting to eat anything. My mom also had something but was different that what I had, where she kept loosing weight, throwing up or bowel movements with grease it took a very long time for them to figure out what was wrong, I just wish I could tell you what they found but I don't know. I can tell you it ended her up in the emergency room many many times before they ever knew anything.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Hi Mindy10 phosphoric acid is found in soda and is not good for stomachs. The dentist says it is not good for teeth either. A relative of mine used to soak chicken bones in soda and he said they turned rubbery. If it does that to teeth and bones it surely could not be good for anyone's stomach. A little cabbage or cabbage juice may be healing but vinegar dressings or mayonnaise should not be used with it. Apple papaya and pineapple may be healing in a different meal, and plenty of time between meals may be needed. Sometimes a little time after throwing up followed by water then clear juice then full liquid then soft foods such as bananas, rice, apples and toast followed by solids in later meals is useful.

Closed Thread