It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
(male)

SFLGUYX HB User
Please Help..what is this?

So i'll make this short and say right off the bat that i find these symptoms happened both times after I flew on a plane..which i get really stressed over cuz i hate flying...

So i suddenly feel as if my heart is skipping a beat. No pain, no pressure..just like my heart will flutter sometimes...irronically I suddenly start burping as well and sometimes if I feel it coming, which I always do, if i burp first i don't get that heart palp.

I don't have any heart burn that i know of but I do feel kinda like a burning/warm sensation right at the end of my ribcage which i'm guessing where my stomach starts...In the morning I feel absolutely fine..no problem. I use to drink lots of coffee which i stopped completely for a month now.

I've taken like pepto or tums and I can't tell if they work but lately they've gotten a little worse..what is this? Gerd? what can i take over-the-counter to see if it helps before I go to my Dr.

To summarize...

I feel a bloating feeling at top of stomach
I get a heart thump/palp
Usually always followed by a burp
Gets worse as the days go on and I eat more.

Thanks ahead a time.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: Please Help..what is this?

It sounds like it's GERD which can be made worse with stress. How long do the symtoms last after they start? You said they started both times when you had to fly on a plane.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
(male)

SFLGUYX HB User

Well it seemed to happen after I got back...its been like a month now..started slow and seems to have gotten more frequent as time went on..but then i'll suddenly go a few days with nothing and then boom it hits me again...i also i forgot to mention its seems to be positional..when i sit it gets worse..i if i sit up straight i might feel better...when i go to bed and lay on my left side or my back it will bother a little before i fall alseep...

Is there anything I can take for now to help? I know there is more at the store but I don't want to just start blind taking stuff....I plan on seeing my doctor but if this stuff helps for now that will be a huge lift..

This happened a year ago but eventually it stopped..so i'm mad it came back

**oh the symptoms are very random..sometimes they will be ever few seconds for like a minute sometimes once every few hours and like i said before sometimes they will disappear for like 5 days...

Last edited by SFLGUYX; 10-20-2010 at 01:36 PM.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

My gastroenterologist suggested Pepcid. Be sure to read the directions as you can only take a couple in a 24 hour period. Try to be careful with what you eat. Try to limit caffeine and carbonated beverages, chocolate, cigarettes, alchohol, etc. Any eat or drink more slowly. Let us know what the Dr. says

Old 10-20-2010, 01:45 PM   #5
(male)

SFLGUYX HB User

You don't know which one do ya? i see there are a few..complete..original..etc

**oh and even though I don't get the 'heartburn' sensation this is still the one to take?

Last edited by SFLGUYX; 10-20-2010 at 01:48 PM.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think it was Pepcid Complete.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, you don't necessarily have to have the "burning" sensation to be having GERD.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:05 AM   #8
(male)

SFLGUYX HB User

Can anyone explain to me why this gets worse when i seem to sit in a certain position or only after I wake up. Its such a tease when I wake up feeling awesome..i got more then half the day fine and then around 5pm it starts to bother me or if i sit a certain way.

I've been taking that pepcid but I don't know if its helping..i want to say its keeping it from being all crazy like it did before but I still get little bouts of it toward the end of the day.

Should I try to Prilosec before going to the Dr. to see if it works? I don't know if its usually only taken by order of a Dr though I know its OTC. I even tried the drink warm water with baking soda to see if it helped and though maybe it does i still get the problem...

Its getting really annoying.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:31 AM   #9
(male)

dan49 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFLGUYX View Post
Well it seemed to happen after I got back...its been like a month now..started slow and seems to have gotten more frequent as time went on..but then i'll suddenly go a few days with nothing and then boom it hits me again...i also i forgot to mention its seems to be positional..when i sit it gets worse..i if i sit up straight i might feel better...when i go to bed and lay on my left side or my back it will bother a little before i fall alseep...

Is there anything I can take for now to help? I know there is more at the store but I don't want to just start blind taking stuff....I plan on seeing my doctor but if this stuff helps for now that will be a huge lift..

This happened a year ago but eventually it stopped..so i'm mad it came back

**oh the symptoms are very random..sometimes they will be ever few seconds for like a minute sometimes once every few hours and like i said before sometimes they will disappear for like 5 days...
MAybe you are just starting to have GERD. I would see the Dr. first and go from there. He might want to do a few stomach tests first. It is vey controlable for the most part. Does it happen when you eat certain foods? If it does probably GERD. Yes lying down you will feel the effects more sometimes because it allows the acid to come up further in your throat.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:45 AM   #10
(male)

SFLGUYX HB User

Well actually I never get that acid stuff in my throat..i have yet to feel that..and when i meant after waking up I should of been clearer..i actually feel awesome in the morning..i'll be up for a few hours before I feel it start again..

So actually its the reverse for me...its like when i go to sleep i get better and its as the days go on...and i don't know if its the food..i've tried to avoid the warning ones i've read...

oh well..hopefully Dr. will help

Old 10-25-2010, 09:40 PM   #11
(male)

dan49 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFLGUYX View Post
Well actually I never get that acid stuff in my throat..i have yet to feel that..and when i meant after waking up I should of been clearer..i actually feel awesome in the morning..i'll be up for a few hours before I feel it start again..

So actually its the reverse for me...its like when i go to sleep i get better and its as the days go on...and i don't know if its the food..i've tried to avoid the warning ones i've read...

oh well..hopefully Dr. will help
You do have to eat right to help with GERD. I need to get back on my diet. Although GERD is only a small part of my problem.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:56 PM   #12
(female)

u164883 HB User

Sounds just like GERD to me. I've had it for years. Started out like yours, got more frequent and bothersome until I couldn't even sleep at night and ended up going to the doctor. Your best bet is to start taking some medication BEFORE it gets bad, because GERD can result in esophogeal ulcers and/or Barrett's Esophagus, which is a precancerous condition in the esophagus from the acid rising up from the stomach. Not trying to scare you, it's not totally common, but it can happen, and your doc may want to do a test to see what going on in there! There are lots of OTC medications that you can try before going to a prescription medication. There's Zantac, Tagamet, Prevacid, Zegerid, Prilosec, etc....These are called PPI medications, or Proton Pump Inhibitors. They slow down the stomach's production of acid, which helps the GERD symptoms. Diet can also help a lot, but a lot of people find that even with dietary changes, they still have symptoms. My doctor has told me that when using a PPI medication, it is still OK to use TUMS or Rolaids or another antacid for breakthrough symptoms. If you try one of these medications, be sure to give it a shot for at least 7 days, as it is usually 1-2 weeks before you see a maximum benefit. GERD can also be aggravated by stress, so maybe try to find a way to deal with stress better? It's not always feasible to remove the stressors from your life, but sometimes deep breaths or quiet time out or music or whatever calms you can help you feel better, as well!

Closed Thread