It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
(female)

Flyerfan HB User
Baffled and frustrated

I have been working with a Naturopathic Dr for almost 4 months now to get my reflux under control without medication. I had been on Aciphex for over 10 years and wanted to get off them. I quit cold turkey on August 3rd and took Zantac for about 10 days after that, then quit that. At first it was a little difficult but I knew about the rebound and was working through it with supplements my ND had given me along with DGL Licorice. My diet had been very good for a while...low carbs and sugar and I ate a good bit of veggies but stayed away from any of the usual foods that would aggravate the reflux.

After about 2 months I was feeling better. I only needed the DGL on some days and not much at all. Hallelujah! I thought I can really beat this. I even went about 8 days in a row where I felt so good, I hadn't had to use the DGL. Of course, because I was feeling better I started eating more carbs and sugar, desserts, etc. However, I didn't have any problems at the time I ate these things....it came weeks after.

Which brings me to about 10 days ago. The reflux started back again, at first every other day and then every day for the past 8 days! I can't figure it out. It has to be something I did. Too much junk too soon? My system wasn't ready? I don't know but I'm so frustrated and so is my ND. I pushed up my next appt to this coming Friday. I'm going to try to make this work without jumping back to the Aciphex but boy oh boy is it tempting...especially around the holidays.

Something else I thought of that may have something to do with it. I had been taking Calcium Citrate/Vit D combo through this whole thing but stopped that completely (for another reason) about 10 days before the reflux started again. I had read somewhere about Calcium helping with reflux. I guess it acts as a neutralizer, I don't know. I'm back taking that again and hope it helps. My husband said I'm just having a temporary setback. I hope he's right because it sure doesn't make sense how I can go from feeling great for over a month to having a string of miserable days.

Can anyone relate? Anyone have an idea what could be going on?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2010, 07:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Baffled and frustrated

I would try getting back on the calcium, and maybe adding magnesium. Not only can those minerals neutralize acid, they improve communication between nerves and muscles, which can help your LES and esophagus to work better.

And, of course, it may be necessary to go back to a slightly stricter diet for a while.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:38 AM   #3
(female)

Flyerfan HB User
Re: Baffled and frustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
I would try getting back on the calcium, and maybe adding magnesium. Not only can those minerals neutralize acid, they improve communication between nerves and muscles, which can help your LES and esophagus to work better.

And, of course, it may be necessary to go back to a slightly stricter diet for a while.
Yep. I went back to the calcium (already take magnesieum) and strict diet. Very low carbs and no sugar/sweets. I think it was too much too soon and stopping the calcium may have played a part, too.

This is such a complex thing. I wish there was something, guaranteed, that you could take that would strengthen the LES. It would be so much easier. I'm crossing my fingers.

Closed Thread