It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
(female)

Kadds HB User
Help-Burping and shortness of breath,5 weeks pregnant

Hi,

I am new here. I have had reflux problems on and off for 2-3 years.

Recently for about a month now I have been having lots of burping all through the day. At the beginning of the month I was having shortness of breath during the day and at night too. I went to the GI and he changed my medication from 20 mg Omeprazole in morning to 60 mg Dexilant and I continued taking the 20 mg Omeprazole in evening and 75mg Zantac before bedtime.

Its been 3 weeks since I started the Dexilant ,now I am burping the whole day and at night this is accompanied by shortness of breath sometimes severe. I feel like I will pass out or that someone is smothering me. Yesterday night I had one of these moments. I was not able to catch my breath for a long time and had to take 3 - 1000 mg tums and 60 mg Dexilant to mange the symptoms. After that the shortness went away but burps continued.

I have never had breathing issues with reflux before. I am 5 weeks pregnant and really concerned of how this will affect me in the later trimesters. To top it off I have mitral stenosis and have had a procedure for that and it has been taken care of but the burps and shortness makes my heart rate and blood pressure go up so it indirectly affects my heart issue.

HAS ANYONE BEEN IN THE SAME BOAT-BURPING AND SHORTNESS oF BREATH. WHAT HELPED YOU MANAGE IT.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
(female)

Jupiterjoy HB User
Re: Help-Burping and shortness of breath,5 weeks pregnant

Sorry I can't help, but I've been getting shortness of breath with lots of burping also. Been on ppis for 2 months, no better...yet

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
(female)

Kadds HB User
Re: Help-Burping and shortness of breath,5 weeks pregnant

Hi, Thanks for replying to my post. Its been 4 months since I have been on the dexilant and 3 months since I drastically changed my diet. I am feeling better now. The shortness of breath and burping during the day has gone and during the night time I have it 2 times a wekk if I am careless about my diet.

I started with just taking oatmeal with bananas or apple or raisins 3 times a day. Increased my excercise. Just walking on treadmill. I avpided any kind of food that made me burp after eating it, no frozen food, no processed items like cookies, crackers etc. Just had absolutely bland food - vegetables, pluses ( lentils), some fruits. Whole wheat bread. I still have some problem during night time but thats usually because Iam not able to stick to this diet all the time. Iam trying to and hopedully I can rid myself of the night time symptoms. I have stopped taking the 20 mg omeprazole for about a week now. Also I try to eat freshly cooked food as much as possible.

The oatmeal seemed to have really helped me.

Thanks for your reply and i hope you feel better soon.

Last edited by Kadds; 03-09-2011 at 11:25 AM.

Closed Thread