It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
(male)

WayOutWisdoms HB User
Question Can acid reflux be the cause of major stomach issues?

I have endured acid reflux for roughly a decade, and have always relieved the symptoms rather quickly using over the counter meds (i.e. Tums, and calcium based remedys).

However, just in the last month my acid reflux has been much worse, and my lower left abdomen has mysteriously began to swell. At first, my kids began joking that I was getting fat, but I am all of 150lbs soaking wet, and have had a "ripped" stomach and 6-pk abs my whole life. The swelling is not major, but my 6-pk is gone, and has been replaced by an odd buldge just above the belt line. My diet hasn't changed, nor increased either to explain the new gutt.

In a personal admission, I do smoke cigarettes, and coffee has long since replaced my alcohol consumption for well over 5-6 years, whereby, I don't drink at all anymore. I always associated the heartburn to the nicotine, and caffien.

Over the last 3 weeks, the normal dose of Tums has failed miserably. Pepcid AC worked great for about 2 days, and has went from curbing the acid reflux for 24hrs to about 6 hours.

In addition, I am now getting consistant chest pains in the upper right cavity around my heart above my sternum, and quite frankly, I'm stressing out with fear this could be something major?

I am a 37 year old male, very active, and have never been hospitalized, and quite honestly; I am petrefied of hospitals and doctors.

In conclusion, the wife and I just made friends with a gentlemen who had a tumor in his lower abdomen (to the left of the belly button, and a touch below) which ruptured 3 years ago.

This man went through hell. Having had his intenstins removed, repaired, reversed, and reinstalled....he has literally put a greater fear in me due to the fact his problem was located exactly where I am experiencing mild pain, and moderate swelling in my lower left abdomen.

And although I'm not sure if this too is related to a possible infection, but I have noticed small red pimple like spots all around my lower stomach, around my waste, and on my buttocks. They too appeared around the time I started noticing a faint pain in my abdomen.

I'm not sure what kind of answers I am looking for here, as it's obvious I need to seek medical attention soon.

The pain is mild, yet noticeable, and I can still perform my daily duties. I keep trying to write it off as an ulcer, and still cannot convince myself to take the 1st step in finding out what is causing this.

Any disruption in work right now will surely cause more loss than my wife or our 3 children can sustain without my income. I'm trying to push myself to wait until mid Feb., whereby at least our tax return might carry us should this be a major medical issue, but if I wait how great a risk am I really taking?

My sincere appologies for the full-blown description, just really need some neutral outside advice on this one. Honestly, I don't even know what catagory this falls under?

Symtom summary:

-daily acid reflux
-mild lower abdominal pain
-chest pains (around the heart)
-mild-moderate swelling lower left abdominal area
-red spots around waste
-increase stress/anxiety

*Note: I have not had any fevering yet to indicate a rupture or major infection, as our friend indicted was evident when he was rushed to the hospital.

Has anyone out there ever experienced these type of symtoms, and if so what was the outcome?

Thanks

Art

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread