It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2010, 06:24 AM   #1
(male)

fred0515 HB User
GERD, palpitations, need help

Hi! I'm new here. I'm a 21 y/o male. Just almost two months ago, I was diagnosed of GERD and now I'm on medication (I'm taking Omeprozole and some antacids). I was just wondering if palpitations could be related to GERD, because I'm having palpitations every now and then. My palpitations are becoming bothersome that I even have them while I'm sleeping, sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night with my chest literally pounding. I've read some of the posts and I can relate to most of their symptoms (e.g. chest pain, heartburn, salivating, pain in the back and abdominal pain) Could there be a link between palpitations and GERD? If so, what best ways could alleviate or stop the palpitations? I'm hoping for all your tips and suggestions!

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Fred

Old 12-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
(female)

4dad HB User4dad HB User
Re: GERD, palpitations, need help

Hi,
I've never had palpitations but I have had a fluttering feeling in my stomach. I've also had chest pains that I thought was my heart but it was really my stomach (gastritis).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
(male)

cjsara04 HB User

Not sure if that has anything to do with GERD. It may be a sever heart burn if anything. Also have you checked the side effects of the medication you are on?

Old 12-29-2010, 11:25 PM   #4
(male)

fred0515 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dad View Post
Hi,
I've never had palpitations but I have had a fluttering feeling in my stomach. I've also had chest pains that I thought was my heart but it was really my stomach (gastritis).
Okay. thanks though.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:26 PM   #5
(male)

fred0515 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsara04 View Post
Not sure if that has anything to do with GERD. It may be a sever heart burn if anything. Also have you checked the side effects of the medication you are on?
I haven't checked it yet, I'm taking Protonix, I haven't asked my doctor yet if it causes palpitations. thanks though.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:14 AM   #6
(male)

cjsara04 HB User

It very well may be the medicine then. When I was diagnosed with it they put e on Protonix as well but everyone's body is different and will suffer from different side effects. It is weird because I was diagnosed about 5 years ago and now I really don't suffer from it at all.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
(female)

bigred4 HB Userbigred4 HB User

I too am experiencing paplatations after 3 years on omeprazole. I want to get off this stuff. It is killing me. Maybe a holistic Dr.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
(female)

catiebee HB User

I had horrible palpitations with both generic Prevacid and OTC Prevacid-- but not prescription, name-brand Prevacid (which I've taken for years, but insurance bounced me off of it for awhile). And yes, it was the wake up in the middle of the night with your heart racing like a maniac kind. Very disturbing and frightening. I don't know what the difference is, but definitely something was different in those formulations that affected me adversely. Hope you can find something that helps your GERD without the cardiac side effects!

Closed Thread