It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2010, 06:11 AM   #1
(female)

neptunian808 HB Userneptunian808 HB User
Anyone's throat look like this?

mine does i've been having LPR symptoms for 3 months but im sure this started way earlier anyway i really want to find someone who has this as well to see if there's any way to get rid of it for once, im at my wits end with this ppi's wont do anything at all and where i live doctors are clueless about LPR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r_edema_4.jpg (44.2 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by moderator2; 01-04-2011 at 07:52 AM. Reason: please post pictures as attachments instead of as links

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
(female)

syntamental HB User
Re: Anyone's throat look like this?

I'll scan my pic when I get home from my endoscopy I had done a year ago. I think mine looked like that but maybe not as inflamed.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-04-2011 at 07:52 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntamental View Post
I'll scan my pic when I get home from my endoscopy I had done a year ago. I think mine looked like that but maybe not as inflamed.
thanks for replying i'll scan my exams as well. what was your diagnosis/symptoms?

Last edited by neptunian808; 01-03-2011 at 12:00 PM.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
(female)

syntamental HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptunian808 View Post
thanks for replying i'll scan my exams as well. what was your diagnosis/symptoms?
I diagnosed myself with LPR. When I went to the doctor for the first time back in 2009 b/c of a lump I felt in my throat he told me I had acid reflux and referred me to a GI. I had the endoscopy done and he diagnosed me with Laryngitis, gastritis, hiatal hernia, duodenal ulcer and h.pylori. I was on meds to get rid of the h.pylori and then I was prescribed aciphex.

I didn't have heartburn so I kept asking why I didn't have the symptoms of heartburn and all they said was its definitely acid reflux. I did research online and found symptoms of LPR but wasn't truly diagnosed by a doctor until I saw an ENT in September 2010.

I was acutally doing quite well for almost a year without even needing any medication. I was able to control it by working out (running and crunches) and drinking ginger tea. I still ate bad foods but I was fine.

My symptoms have stretched over a course of about 5 years with me finally figuring out it was LPR. I would wake up in the middle of the night feeling like I couldn't breathe and had to catch my breath. This started when I was like 16 years old. It was very rare that it would happen but I looked into it back then and found that it could be sleep apnea. In college, I started having chest pains all the time but only on the right side. This was after I took meds prescibed for a chest cold to loosen the phlegm so I always thought it was related to that. It was a poking pain and it radiated to my back. I thought it was cancer! lol. I went to the doc numerous times and had xrays done but they came back negative. I actually just learned to live with that until this lump popped up in my throat out of nowhere. I now know it was acid because when I started on aciphex, that pain went away. Aside from those two symptoms, I started having more after I began taking medication for acid reflux.

I experienced more difficulties breathing while sleeping, clearing my throat, difficulty swallowing and the feeling of food getting stuck, a TON of mucus in my throat all the time which may have contributed to the difficulty swallowing, and back pain (not like the poking but more like pressure) at the top of my back all mostly on the right side. I was doing some pretty heavy drinking when these symptoms started again b/c I started a new job and they are very social and I was hanging out a lot with them drinking wine and beer. Pretty sure thats what triggered these other symptoms.

I had trouble sleeping these last 3 days and I think its b/c of Chinese food I ate. I ordered the vegetable kow but ever since I ate that, I've been waking up choking and with the feeling of something in my throat. I regurgitated this yellowish, weird tasting spit this morning and that seemed to get rid of it.

So, now I am trying to take the natural approach again and found a really great site. Dherbs.com. They recommended I do the full body detox and other detoxes (cant recall) and while on the detox to eat nothing but raw foods. I have the detox kit but I need to really plan my meals which I am in the process of researching so I will probably start it in March.

What symptoms have you had with this? Its a really annoying problem!

Old 01-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntamental View Post
I diagnosed myself with LPR. When I went to the doctor for the first time back in 2009 b/c of a lump I felt in my throat he told me I had acid reflux and referred me to a GI. I had the endoscopy done and he diagnosed me with Laryngitis, gastritis, hiatal hernia, duodenal ulcer and h.pylori. I was on meds to get rid of the h.pylori and then I was prescribed aciphex.

I didn't have heartburn so I kept asking why I didn't have the symptoms of heartburn and all they said was its definitely acid reflux. I did research online and found symptoms of LPR but wasn't truly diagnosed by a doctor until I saw an ENT in September 2010.

I was acutally doing quite well for almost a year without even needing any medication. I was able to control it by working out (running and crunches) and drinking ginger tea. I still ate bad foods but I was fine.

My symptoms have stretched over a course of about 5 years with me finally figuring out it was LPR. I would wake up in the middle of the night feeling like I couldn't breathe and had to catch my breath. This started when I was like 16 years old. It was very rare that it would happen but I looked into it back then and found that it could be sleep apnea. In college, I started having chest pains all the time but only on the right side. This was after I took meds prescibed for a chest cold to loosen the phlegm so I always thought it was related to that. It was a poking pain and it radiated to my back. I thought it was cancer! lol. I went to the doc numerous times and had xrays done but they came back negative. I actually just learned to live with that until this lump popped up in my throat out of nowhere. I now know it was acid because when I started on aciphex, that pain went away. Aside from those two symptoms, I started having more after I began taking medication for acid reflux.

I experienced more difficulties breathing while sleeping, clearing my throat, difficulty swallowing and the feeling of food getting stuck, a TON of mucus in my throat all the time which may have contributed to the difficulty swallowing, and back pain (not like the poking but more like pressure) at the top of my back all mostly on the right side. I was doing some pretty heavy drinking when these symptoms started again b/c I started a new job and they are very social and I was hanging out a lot with them drinking wine and beer. Pretty sure thats what triggered these other symptoms.

I had trouble sleeping these last 3 days and I think its b/c of Chinese food I ate. I ordered the vegetable kow but ever since I ate that, I've been waking up choking and with the feeling of something in my throat. I regurgitated this yellowish, weird tasting spit this morning and that seemed to get rid of it.

So, now I am trying to take the natural approach again and found a really great site. Dherbs.com. They recommended I do the full body detox and other detoxes (cant recall) and while on the detox to eat nothing but raw foods. I have the detox kit but I need to really plan my meals which I am in the process of researching so I will probably start it in March.

What symptoms have you had with this? Its a really annoying problem!
It is annoying indeed, im sorry you have to go through all this, i wanted to pursue a singing career before this,i took singing lessons before this and i thought all my problems (vocal fatigue breathiness) were due to technique so did my vocal coach and i busted my *** off practicing trying to correct what i thought was my fault, i was wrong it was LPR, now i can't sing a LICK, im hoarse 24/7 and i dont have a deep hoarse smoker voice, i sound like im being strangled and crying and my voice extremely breathy, i've been like this for 3 months with no change, despite the fact im on "treatment", other symptoms i have is an acidic/salty taste every morning and 3/4 hours after eating, sometimes it happens right after i eat, sore throat, and week ago i started feeling that lump in the throat everyone talks about, now it's mild i don't know if the change to nexium had anything to do with it other stuff i feel is indigestion, i can eat very little and feel bloated and i burp A LOT no idea if that's related to my LPR, as i am typin this i feel a raw sore throat no matter how much water i drink i swear i can't take this stuff anymore but knowing im not the only one gives me some sort of relief im sure you can relate to that, despite being on PPI's for almost 2 months now i still get the acid taste in my mouth that gives me a pretty good indicator im not responding to meds this disease is a curse, don't have any heartburn either, neither i have regurgitation, my barium swallow came back normal when my doctor comes back from his vacations i'll ask him to do a double probe ph metry + multichannel intraluminal impedance to actually KNOW what kinda reflux i have, keep me posted with how your disease develops take care

Last edited by neptunian808; 01-03-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:27 AM   #6
(male)

gpinzone HB Usergpinzone HB User

If you endoscope of fine and your barrium swallow is good. You need to do a manaometry and dual impedance ph test.

You could have a motility disorder or LES can just be weak. If your LES is really bad below6hg then you may need surgery. I had the same issues as the person who responded to you all my life. I had the tightness in throat. It took about 3 months to go away but they key is diet. You have to eat low fat- low acid food. Thats how got better but again if your LES is malfunctioning all the time then no matter how much ppi's you take or what you eat your gonna have reflux and then you need surgery.

If those test come out normal you my have a motility issue in your stomach. Slow gastric emptying. Domperidone is safe and can help speed that up.

But you need to get the proper tests first instead of guessing.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:31 AM   #7
(male)

Something else I should mention, you say you burp alot. When I took my dual probe ph test i only refluxed when I burped. I could be the most suttle burp but that will bring liquid or acid up past your LES and possible into the throat.

I always burp(small one) after I drink water.

Also you really only should be drinking water or chamoile tea and never drink right before, during or right after you eat. It can help reflux things back up. waiting 30 mins before or after your eat. Im not saying you cant sip some water but try to aviod drinking for atleast 30mins. I have alwauy heard about doing this but its actually true as I also confirmed this when I took my 24hour ph test.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-04-2011 at 07:51 AM.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
(female)

syntamental HB User

Pics of my endoscopy are attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (54.1 KB, 16 views)

Old 01-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
(female)

thankd for the replies you guys, i didn't know about the water thing, i dont drink too much water though, as far as the diet i've been taking care of it eating only healthy stuff but my symptoms don't change AT ALL so today i said f*** it and ate fried fish and chocolate icecream, i dont feel better i don't feel worse but probably in the long run that would affect my larynx even if my symptoms dont worsen, @syntamental thanks for the pics you look like you have a messed up gi tract that would explain your symptoms, sometimes i wish i had any visible lesions ony my gi tract so i could say "oh this is what's causing my symptoms" (i know silly thoughts) your larynx looks better than mine though, i don't have my pictures now with my, my gi doctor has them, he wants to talk about my problem with other doctors so i handed him all my test reports. @gpinzone do you ever experience hoarseness or an acidic taste?

Old 01-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #10
(male)

you can not go by one day. You have to diet for 2-3 months if you want to heal your throat. You really need to get a manometry to see what your UES and LES are doing and depending on findings go for 24 dual impedance ph test.

I cant tell you my throat healed completly in 4 months I still have issues with chest pains and occasional wierd feelings in my esphogus but thats because I have a motility problem.

At least i know I do not need surgery and hopefully the TCA I am taking along with prevacid 15mg x 2 a day is helping.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #11
(male)

oh and to answer your question. When I ate acidy foods and I burped them I did. When I began my diet i did get a salty taste in my mouth.

You should be drinking 8-12 glasses of water a day as it helps supress acid in your stomach but again do it in between meals.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #12
(female)

syntamental HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpinzone View Post
Something else I should mention, you say you burp alot. When I took my dual probe ph test i only refluxed when I burped. I could be the most suttle burp but that will bring liquid or acid up past your LES and possible into the throat.

I always burp(small one) after I drink water.

Also you really only should be drinking water or chamoile tea and never drink right before, during or right after you eat. It can help reflux things back up. waiting 30 mins before or after your eat. Im not saying you cant sip some water but try to aviod drinking for atleast 30mins. I have alwauy heard about doing this but its actually true as I also confirmed this when I took my 24hour ph test.

I can tell you from experience this is true. When I started having problems swallowing and with all the mucus in my throat, I would drink a bunch of water while I ate and it made it so much worse. It made the food come right back up. I've been on dexilant since September and my symptoms got much better so much that I started to realize I didn't need to drink anything anymore to help my food go down and hardly needed any liquids at all after I finished eating. But I stopped taking my meds for a week and that was a mistake so now I'm having problems again.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #13
(male)

you cant just stop taking your meds. You will get an acid rebound effect. You have to slowley wean off in a couple of months. If you have a weak LES diet may not help alone. You may need PPI or atleast an h2 for the rest if your life.

Last edited by gpinzone; 01-04-2011 at 02:55 PM.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #14
(female)

syntamental HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpinzone View Post
you cant just stop taking your meds. You will get an acid rebound effect. You have to slowley wean off in a couple of months. If you have a weak LES diet may not help alone. You may need PPI or atleast an h2.
Yea that was a big, big mistake. I'm back on it and hopefully the symptoms will subside again

Old 01-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #15
(male)

If you have only been off a week give it 4-5 days to get back on track.

Closed Thread