It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2011, 12:14 AM   #1
(female)

d0ll HB User
Vicodin & ulcer

Can Vicodin cause your stomach ulcer to get worse or not heal? I am taking Zantac to heal my ulcer and keep my gerd under control but i am not sure if taking vicodin for the pain will harm my stomach or effect the healing process. I have taken vicodin and it has helped a lot with the pain.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: Vicodin & ulcer

Vicodin wont make your ulcer worse, but you would be a lot better off taking a dose of Mylanta or Maaloxx for your ulcer pain, rather than analgesic pills

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

The Following User Says Thank You to jonnstar For This Useful Post:
XxVelvetRose7 (04-25-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2011, 04:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I'm going to slightly disagree with Johnnstar. It shouldn't, but it might. I find my not-quite-ulcer gastritis is irritated by a lot of medicines, including Tylenol, which is an ingredient in Vicodin.

If it's for the ulcer pain, then definitely, antacid tablets or liquid, or pepto-bismol. Those will actually address the cause of the pain.

Have you ever been tested for H. Pylori infection? The cheapest way is a blood test, although the breath test is more reliable. If you have the infection, you need antibiotics to cure your ulcer.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
(male)

bprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB User

As with any pain reliever, you can experience some discomfort but less so with a Tylenol-based product. Are you having acid issues constantly through out the day? Taking a PPI for a short term period may be the solution to allow your stomach to heal.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Neither hydrocodone or acetaminophen have been shown to increase rates of gastric ulcer or retard healing, unlike NSAID's.

Acetaminophen is the recomended analgesic for ulcer patients.

A PPI (eg Prilosec) is generaly a better medicine for ulcer healing than Zantac (stronger acid suppressor). Keep some antacid with you, and take the appropriate dose whenever you experience ulcer pain

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Closed Thread