It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
(male)

egoadvocate HB User
I Cured my Hoarse Voice Caused by LPR

I have been hoarse on-and-off from LPR (Laryngopharyngeal Reflux Disease), also called Reflux Laryngitis, and also called Silent Reflux for about 14 months. My longest bout was 60 straight days of hoarseness. It played havoc on my marriage and work-life, and my self-esteem. It threw me into a near depression, but I have come out the other side. Also, LPR caused my voice to be very weak, my voice had no endurance and no power, I could not sing, talk loudly or for any length of time, or even read to my child.

Technically, my Ear Nose and Throat (ENT) doctor did not diagnose LPR, she said that acid reflux was causing my hoarseness and prescribed me Prilosec. The symptom list, though, for LPR matched almost exactly what I was experiencing. I was unsatisfied taking Prilosec for the rest of my life and was committed to find a solution.

Here is a list of the things I tried to get rid of LPR caused hoarseness:
- Juicing celery and cabbage
- Chewing gum (also gum containing baking soda)
- gargling baking soda solution (made me sick to my stomach)
- started eating low-fat vegan
- eating a low-Ph diet (no tomatoes, citrus, colas)
- do not eat when I have a full stomach
- chew food thoroughly
- finish eating before 6pm
- lose weight
- use a pillow to elevate head while sleeping
- drinking apple cider vinegar
- eating red apples (not green)
- eating almonds

(I still do many of these things.)

All of these things helped somewhat, but my voice was still hoarse. I was about to try the following:

- DGL licorice
- Thayers lozenges (cherry flavor)
- buy a wedge pillow

but I found the solution to my hoarseness before I was able to implement these plans....here it is!!!!

My cure for hoarseness caused by LPR is frequently gargling pure, cold, tap water.

Here is my technique:
- wake up in the morning
- use the bathroom, gargle with pure tap water 3 times
- take a shower, gargle 5 times using shower water
- eat breakfast, brush teeth, gargle 5 times
- go to work, use bathroom, gargle 5 times
- eat lunch, gargle 5 times afterward
- use bathroom, gargle 5 times
- eat dinner, afterwards gargle 10 times
- brush teeth before going to bed, gargle 10 times
- wake up to pee in the middle of the night, gargle 5 times

(Essentially, I gargle a few times every time I have a chance, especially after every meal, after I brush my teeth, and after I use the bathroom.)

Total number of gargles during the day, easily over 50 times a day. When I gargle I try to gargle deep into the back of my throat every time.

I found that positive results showed-up after just 24-hours (very slight improvement), after 48-hours the improvement was more dramatic. My normal voice returned after just three days. And now, after one week, my voice power has returned. I can now speak normally, like any normal person while driving in a car (a loud environment), talking on the phone, and talking with friends without thinking.

Now, I still regurgitate the contents of my stomach occasionally at night and sometimes during the day. I make sure to gargle again after this happens (if I can detect it happening).

My theory about why this works is that water has a Ph of 7, and the pepsin on my vocal cords is activated by the stomach contents I regurgitate, these stomach contents have a Ph of between 2 and 6. Gargling with tap water essentially dilutes the acids on my vocal cords by diluting the nasal and back-of-the-throat juices that lie _between_ my vocal cords and mouth (gargling does not dilute the acids on my vocal cords directly). The reason I have to gargle so much is because Ph is a logarithmic scale, and it takes LOTS of dilution to bring my vocal cord fluid coatings from a Ph of 4, say, down to a Ph of 7.

[Note that gargling with baking soda and salt once or twice a day DID NOT WORK to relieve my hoarse voice. In fact, I started feeling sick to my stomach after about three days of gargling with baking soda and water twice a day.]

Happy gargling.

Last edited by egoadvocate; 01-08-2011 at 06:24 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to egoadvocate For This Useful Post:
JanaJ (11-15-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
(female)

tofumix HB User
Re: I Cured my Hoarseness Caused by LPR

Thanks, gargling with baking soda and salt, I haven't really kept up with gargling that much thinking it might not work been depressed living with LPR for a few months. I heard gargling too much can dry the throat out. I wasn't so sure, but will try.

Last edited by tofumix; 01-08-2011 at 07:22 PM.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
(female)

neptunian808 HB Userneptunian808 HB User

will try too

Old 01-15-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User
Re: I Cured my Hoarse Voice Caused by LPR

What an interesting remedy.

I am going to have to give it a try.

It costs absolutely nothing and there is no risk associated with it.

It would be interesting to see if it works for others here.

Thanks for sharing and also for posting the reasons you think it works.

Rose

Old 11-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
(male)

River99999 HB User
Re: I Cured my Hoarse Voice Caused by LPR

Sounds greatd! I have this LPR for over 2 years. My voice gets hoarse from time to time. I tried many things but nothing seems effective for it. I started trying this gargling remedy right after reading Egoadvocate's post. The first gargling changed the sweet and sour taste in my mouth to a salty and bitter taste at the moment. This change of mouth taste may imply that the alkaline tap water reacts with the acidic salive in some sense of neutralization. I will for sure continue the gargling and wish for a good result.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
(male)

egoadvocate HB User

Since I wrote this post I found two other remedies that have really helped me. These remedies are 1) DGL Licorice and 2) a meatless diet.

The DGL Licorice, I took a 400mg tablet three times a day, one tablet before each meal. This worked wonders and I got my voice back in a few days.

Also, I found that if I stopped eating meat (I became a vegan as an experiment) the acid reflux went away and my voice returned. This was the permanent solution I desired.

Today, I am off DGL Licorice completely and I am a vegetarian (I still eat dairy and eggs) and my voice is completely normal.

Good luck everyone.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:17 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoadvocate View Post
RE: Gargling
Are you healing or alleviating symptoms?

Do you feel you will need to do this the rest of your life?

Last edited by kevinla; 11-15-2011 at 08:31 AM.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:42 AM   #8
(male)

egoadvocate HB User

I stopped gargling after about 2 months. Gargling 50 times a day got annoying real fast, even if it did help. I eventually tried DGL Licorice and this was very effective at keeping symptoms at bay.

I am now off DGL, and now I currently eat a meatless diet to control my symptoms. For me it has been the meatless diet that has really cured my LPR.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:15 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User

Quote:
I stopped gargling after about 2 months. Gargling 50 times a day got annoying real fast, even if it did help. I eventually tried DGL Licorice and this was very effective at keeping symptoms at bay.

I am now off DGL, and now I currently eat a meatless diet to control my symptoms. For me it has been the meatless diet that has really cured my LPR.
Been using DGL as well.

I take 8 at a time but only twice a week. Taking 8 DGL licorice tablets is a test of manhood. It does seem to be effective.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
(male)

Studious HB User
Smile Re: I Cured my Hoarseness Caused by LPR

I really don't think that water ph is the reason for your relief. If it were true you could just drink the water instead. The reason why I think this is working for you is because of the position of the head and tongue during the gargle process. This position is actually working out your upper esophogus sphincter which has become weak, causing the reflux. Gargling is becoming a workout routine for you. You may find even better results is you take a look online at the Dr. Shaker exercise for swallowing problems. It will probably be easier for you than gargling all day long.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:29 AM   #11
(male)

egoadvocate HB User

Interesting, a weak upper esophogus sphincter. Thank you for that insight, I appreciate it.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
(female)

Veryhoarse HB User

If strengthening the upper esophageal sphincter solves one problem, doesn't it create another one? Since the lower sphincter will still be weak, won't the acid, now blocked from the larynx area, stay in the esophagus and cause GERD? I hate this hoarseness, but I certainly don't want heartburn.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:48 AM   #13
(male)

smb1229 HB User

Quote:

Hi. Thank you for posting about your experience. Are you still on a meatless diet? And still free of LPR symptoms?

Old 03-21-2013, 03:30 AM   #14
(male)

chhotu HB User

Thanks for your post on reflux related hoarseness, I have been suffering with this since last 24 months. Tried everything. I hope now this will show results.

Closed Thread