It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
(male)

Xhale12 HB UserXhale12 HB User
LPR Sufferers-- READ THIS

Hey guys.

We'll I have had LPR for about 6 months. Like many others here, it has ruined my life. I have all the typical symptoms.... Burning in throat, hoarseness, mucus, cough, vocal fatigue, hiccups, etc.

After trying EVERYTHING with no effect, I went to see Jamie Koufman this weekend.

All I can say is WOW. After doing many tests (many painful tests), as well as a 24 hour PH test, it turns out I have 0 reflux. What I have instead is a problem with my vagus nerve. I was shocked to hear I had no reflux. It turns out, more and more people are developing this problem. If you have LPR, and have tried every reflux med under the sun, it is very possible you have a nerve issue, not a reflux issue. Think about it. Why do so many people's LPR symptoms begin with a cold?

Once a nerve problem is identified, several different kinds of drugs can be prescribed. I am currently on elavil, and gabapentin.

The main problem, is 95% of docs across the country, do not even know of this issue. Hence the reason why everyone with LPR symptoms is thrown reflux meds, and falls down a spiraling hole of despair in which no relief is found. Feel free to ask me any questions!

By the way. Jamie is an INCREDIBLE doctor, and I would highly recommend her.

Last edited by Xhale12; 01-15-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
(female)

neptunian808 HB Userneptunian808 HB User
Re: LPR Sufferers-- READ THIS

Wow i'm glad you found what's causing your symptoms, has your larynx ever been swollen? and how's your voice are you still hoarse? please keep me posted this is interesting

ps: can damage to the vagus nerve cause UES malfunction?

Last edited by Administrator; 02-25-2012 at 04:19 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
(male)

Xhale12 HB UserXhale12 HB User

Hey. Not sure about the UES damage. The bottom line is this. Until you have had a 24 hour PH test, you do not know what is causing the symptoms. I was POSITIVE I had reflux. It felt exactly like acid was burning my throat. Turns out I have zero.

It has been 4 days on a very low dose of gabapentin and already I have noticed a nice improvement in my symptoms. Keep in mind I am only on 400 MG. I will soon be at 1000 mg. The elavil will remain consistent at 10 mg.

Voice is still hoarse but getting better day by day.

< edited >

Last edited by Administrator; 02-25-2012 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Please do not post unapproved website links, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

Old 01-22-2011, 12:13 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User

Fascinating.

It makes sense for me. My throat symptoms began the day after I kissed a woman. I am convinced I got an infection from her.

My sore throat never went away, went to a doctor, and was diagnosed with LPR.

Last edited by hb-mod; 01-22-2011 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Quote from prior post removed. Please use "Quick" Reply rather than "Quote" Reply. Thanks!

Old 01-23-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
(male)

gpinzone HB Usergpinzone HB User

I did have reflux but its under control. I am taking 25mg of elavil for chest pains that may be related to esophgus spasms but not sure if its that or reflux or gas. Its been driving me crazy for couple of months now. What were the results of you manomerty? your taking gabapentin so you must have a cough as well? Did you have any Vocal Fold persis?

Last edited by Administrator; 02-25-2012 at 04:19 AM.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:19 PM   #6
(male)

Seeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB User

Could the elavil be related to the same reason she gives a lot of people elavil these days? She often says its to treat nerve damage. What ever the reason, she gave you the same drug she gives all her patients with nerve damage.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:36 AM   #7
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Sunrise View Post
Could the elavil be related to the same reason she gives a lot of people elavil these days? She often says its to treat nerve damage. What ever the reason, she gave you the same drug she gives all her patients with nerve damage.

I know why she gave me Evail. Its supposed to relieve pain from spasms and also stimulate the Vagas nerve. I wanted to understand if he had a motility issue. HE stated he didnt have reflux. I may have both reflux and motitlity issue. So i fixed my reflux issue through diet, domperidone and prevacid but these chest pains may be spasms or it maybe be reflux.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

For the people who believe they have a nerve issue and not LPR.

Is the pain/globulus feeling constant all day or sometimes is it less?

Last edited by kevinla; 02-01-2011 at 06:06 PM.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:46 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

One more thing.

I read somewhere that a damaged Vagus nerve can CAUSE acid reflux.

Has anyone heard this?

Old 02-02-2011, 05:37 AM   #10
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinla View Post
For the people who believe they have a nerve issue and not LPR.

Is the pain/globulus feeling constant all day or sometimes is it less?
In another thread I explain what I went throught but Ill try to recap.

I had tightness in my throat that would come and go. The tightness was intense where I felt like I couldnt breathe. Then as my throat began to heal I had tightness almost all the time throughtout day and night but less intense. After about 3 months and as my throat healed more my tightness went away. Other symptoms developed like chest pains most likley due to spasms further down in my esphogus. Its important to get a manomerty done to see if your UES and LES are functioning correctly. If you have a motility problem two things cause the lump or tightness feeling. reflux or vagus nerve.

PH test will tell you if your refluxing or not. Most ENT's dont really look at your throat and give it a reflux rating. Dr. Koufman does and he equipmeny is state of the art.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #11
(female)

sevenseas831 HB Usersevenseas831 HB User

I just started seeing a new ENT who specializes in LPR/vagus nerve damage. My main symptom is a chronic cough that began 10 years ago when I had a bad URI. The infection cleared, but I have had the cough since. Prior to the URI, I never had an reflux problems. I was diagnosed with probable acid reflux based on three EGDs; however, PPIs (and I have tried a bunch) have never helped.

I am having a EFT and 24-hour pH test next week. I am hoping after these tests, that my ENT will allow me to go the Elavil or Gabapentin route.

Good luck to everyone. I hope you all find the answers you need. It is amazing how many people have dealt with their symptoms for years and years without any resolution.

Closed Thread