It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2011, 03:08 AM   #1
(male)

pg600rr HB User
blood in saliva

I got a doc appointment Mon., but wanted to see if anyone on here had this experience or any thoughts.

Background info: 27/m, had an upper gi x-rays w/ barium and upper gi endoscopy prob. about 16-18 months ago, everything was fine. Had colonoscopy about 12 months ago, everything was fine.

Went out for very heavy/rich italian dinner last night, woke up at 4am with sour taste/burning in back of throat, so harsh it took my breath away. Got up took a few sips of water, went to bacthroom to get tums, spit in sink and it was solid bloody saliva (like when you cut your gums flossing). Three spits then it was pretty much gone. Stomach was VERY upset w/ integestion.

No cough, no temp, no chest congestion, non smoker. This is the 7th day of a bad cold with nasal congestion, blew nose after spitting up the blood and the was slight blood (very slight) in nose mucus.

Finally, earlier in the night before going out to eat, brushed and flossed. Hadnt flossed in a bit and there was significant blood from doing so. So much that it was dripping out of mouth and took several mintues of rinsing to clear up.

-------------------------------------------------------------

So my 1st thought when I woke up with this solid blood in saliva was cancer! but then I kinda came to my senses. If I had the above mentioned tests in the past 12-16 months they would have atleast shown the early stages of stomach cancer? plus I am only 27... so it would be rare anyway.

Next, there is the issue of slight blood in tissue, maybe saliva blood could have been due to slight nose bleeding while sleeping?

and finally the significant amount of blood from flossing prior to going out to eat. This occured at 6p.m. 1/28, woke up with the blood in saliva @ 4 a.m. 1/29, so i dont know if gums could still be releasing any blood from flossing 10 hours prior... maybe, but just not sure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2011, 03:12 AM   #2
(male)

pg600rr HB User
Re: blood in saliva

btw sorry about corss post... new member and didnt read the rule against not doing so until it was to late, not sur how to delete one of the posts as I also have this in digestive disorders aswell.

Wasnt sure which sub-forum to post this issue under...

Old 01-29-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User

I suffer from reflux (LPR) & in spite of the fact that I'm on Nexium I still cough a lot, clear my throat etc after eating & particularly during the night! Sometimes in the morning I wake up with a hoarse throat & completely stuffed up nose- there is often a bit of blood about during the early morning coughing & nose blowing! Gross I know, but it's the reflux for sure- when it gets up into the sensitive tissue in the nose & throat- it happens! I wish there was a way of stopping it.... must be doing some damage! I haven't had a scope for 3 years.

It might be a good idea to experiment with your diet. Orange juice & tomatoes in any form (even commercial tomato sauce) are my worst foods- also red wine unfortunately! It helps a bit to slowly sip water- room temperature water that is. Best of luck to you!

Old 01-29-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
(male)

Seeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB User

It's just the cold drying out your nasal cavity or sinuses. That's the most likely explanation. If it happened when you didn't have a cold for 7 days, it might be something to worry about but...... all I can say is take care of yourself for now and get over the cold. You don't want to end up with "LPR" which begins with a virus a lot of the time.

Closed Thread