It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
(female)

Zipity HB User
Pain under left ribs, between shoulder blades

This started months ago. When I would eat or drink something cold, I'd get a sharp pain under my left shoulder blade. The only way I can describe it is JUST like a brain freeze but in my back. Then I was getting pain in my left side under my ribs. They were very tender and felt like there was something under there. Like a lump. But I could never actually feel a lump. So I went to the doc and she scheduled an upper GI. Before I had my appt I ended up in the ER with the pain under my ribs. They ran tests, blood, urine, etc. They did and xray and said there was nothing there as far as tumors or anything. They also gave me a "GI cocktail" and I found out the hard way I'm allergic to viscous litocaine. The cocktail didn't help. I went to my upper GI appt and was told I have a small hiatal hernia and mild reflux. I was prescribed omeprazole which doesn't help. I've had heartburn. I had it the entire time I was pregnant. This is not the same feeling. The doctor in the ER suggested it might be costrocondritis but I thought that was more in the middle of the chest like in the sternum area. Well now for the last few days I've been getting sharp pains in my back like between my shoulder blade and my spine on my left side. It feels like someone is stabbing me with an ice pick. Or like sharp "electrical" pains if that makes sense. If I touch my bottom rib in the front, it's tender but pushing on it actual relieves the pain I feel under it. Someone suggested maybe because I carry my son (he's 20 months and about 25 pounds) on that side when I pick him up, maybe it's muscular? The pain doesn't get worse when I take deep breaths. I can't lie on my left side because it's so uncomfortable. Not painful. It just feels like there's a brick in my side. I don't notice a difference when I eat. I can't find a connection between the two, but could it be gas?? It just doesn't seem like typical reflux symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2011, 04:30 AM   #2
(male)

bprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB User
Re: Pain under left ribs, between shoulder blades

Are you taking any pills that might be getting caught in your esophagus? I usually have to drink a cup of water before taking any pills to prevent capsules from sticking. If they get caught, they can cause irritation to the lining.

When drinking anything cold, do you feel that it relieves the pain?

Old 02-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
(female)

missjade11 HB Usermissjade11 HB Usermissjade11 HB User

Sounds like gastritis it's a bit like an ulcer except it means the lining is inflammed, I have had it for three years I got it from taking an antibiotic for a urinary tract infection yes from one dose of antibiotics(even while taking probiotics) it must of been to harsh for my sensitive stomach, I've yet to cure it but I can sorta control it by taking a PPI (Nexium), drinking aloe vera juice, taking slippery elm herb, probiotics, and chamomile herb, and well eating the right foods. Spices and Seasons will make it hurt more, so will milk it increases acid, so will a lot of meat it's hard to digest, tomatos, oranges, sodas, teas and coffees, no fruit juices (to much citric acid) I drink really only water, and anything else overly spicy gassy or acidic. Honestly I eat pretty bland. Medication usage, smoking and drinking will also bother it.

It burns its sharp its tender its spasms its gassy its belching its nausea it's low appetite its everything acid... its rough but it will take a long time to heal your stomach if you ever heal it, taking your PPI (Nexium) will cut the acid pumps off and give the stomach time to heal I'm going on 3 years maybe you will be sooner to heal maybe later. Gastritis is 50/50 some heal some never do and some have flare ups were they heal then it come back it heals and comes back in that fashion. Some even get gastriits and GERD.

You can take 2 prilosec a day one morning one evening and it will equal the same as nexium. Don't expect the burning and pains to go quickly just cause your on a acid med, again it takes a longgggg time for the stomach to heal. It's got to be one of the slowest in the body! I feel for anyone with this illness, there is not a lot the docs going to be able to do for this but give you a PPI, and the ER will be pointless they can only give you a cocktail , so really it's on you to take the PPI and eat right and learn to let it heal over a long time. Wish it were easier!

Wishing you well wishes with it!

I would get an endoscopy to rule gastriits or ulcer or what. But sounds like gastritis, cause ulcer causes a lot of hunger pangs.

Last edited by missjade11; 02-08-2011 at 05:17 PM.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
(female)

lillye HB User

I have those pains too---under left shoulder blade , ribs in back and sometimes front too---I had my gallbladder removed 8 weeks ago and had nausea for three weeks before having it removed---they did endoscope, small bowel study, ulta sound, CT of my stomach and lots of blood work---the endoscope showed inflammation...is this the same as gastritis? The HIDA scan showed a low functioning gallbladder which they said to remove ---so i did but after surgery, the nausea come back and I couldn't eat much for 5 weeks---then slowly, the nausea got better, but I still have the pain---I lost 12 pounds in two months because I ate very little before and after surgery---my appetite is better now---I take prilosec and took carafate up until a few days ago---I wonder if I should keep taking the carafate---I am having a colonoscopy in a week (that is the only test they haven't doneand am awaiting results of an MRI----I am beginning to think this was gastritis and not the gallbladder all along----If you are still on the forum, please write and let me know how you are doing and what helped you?

Old 04-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
(male)

iainsdaddy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillye View Post
I have those pains too---under left shoulder blade , ribs in back and sometimes front too---I had my gallbladder removed 8 weeks ago and had nausea for three weeks before having it removed---they did endoscope, small bowel study, ulta sound, CT of my stomach and lots of blood work---the endoscope showed inflammation...is this the same as gastritis? The HIDA scan showed a low functioning gallbladder which they said to remove ---so i did but after surgery, the nausea come back and I couldn't eat much for 5 weeks---then slowly, the nausea got better, but I still have the pain---I lost 12 pounds in two months because I ate very little before and after surgery---my appetite is better now---I take prilosec and took carafate up until a few days ago---I wonder if I should keep taking the carafate---I am having a colonoscopy in a week (that is the only test they haven't doneand am awaiting results of an MRI----I am beginning to think this was gastritis and not the gallbladder all along----If you are still on the forum, please write and let me know how you are doing and what helped you?

Closed Thread