It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
(female)

Tinkabell Be HB User
Getting off Nexium

Can I just stop taking my gastric reflux medication or do I need to wean myself off them I am taking Nexium 20mg I have just started a low carb diet.
Has anyone had success in reducing the reflux naturally (drug free) would appreciate any advice. thanks :

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2011, 01:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Getting off Nexium

Definitely wean! Different people on this board have followed different weaning protocols, check out a few of the past posts on quitting PPI, but be prepared for the process to take a couple months.

Then again, only about half of people experience acid rebound when quitting, so you may be one of the lucky ones.

Bedtime for me, anyone else want to chime in here?

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Tinkabell Be (02-12-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
(female)

Flyerfan HB User

I would wean. I didn't...I went cold turkey but that's me...all or nothing. I did use Zantac for a little bit, then I relied on DGL and Aloe Vera Juice. It's been over 6 months and I still have the reflux (some days good, some bad). I'm now investigating food sensitivity with the help of a ND. I believe my whole digestive system is messed up because of 10 years of these pills but that's a whole other story.

How long were you on the Nexium? If only a short period, it may be not that hard to get off them. Change of diet is a must. Low carb, low sugar, no processed foods and watch those trigger foods (tomatoes, chocolate, peppermint, caffeine, alcohol, etc).

Good Luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Flyerfan For This Useful Post:
Tinkabell Be (02-12-2011)
Old 02-12-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
(female)

Tinkabell Be HB User
Smile Re: Getting off Nexium

Thank You for your advice...I'm OK at present having stopped Nexium and will continue with the low carb diet am due to see my Dr. in a few days so will see what he can offer by way of 'alternative' treatment should I need it. I also do a foot soak in warm water & Magnesium as apparently the body will absorb Mag. through the skin very well and will only take up what it needs so you can't 'overdose' I appreciate your responses...good luck with your endeavours.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
(female)

Usagihime HB UserUsagihime HB User

May I ask what is the cause of your reflux, and how long have you been on Nexium for? I got a one month prescription of it, and so I would probably wean off slowly when the month is about to be up. Please keep us posted on your progress! =)

Old 02-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
(male)

bprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB User

If memory serves, you can open the capsule and put the granules on apple sauce. With a low dose (20mg), you may be able to just go off it and use Zantac for rebound.

Closed Thread