It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
(male)

stuboy HB User
just diagnosed

Hello, can anyone offer me some advice please.

It all started with a stiff neck that came and went, then a pain between my shoulder blades followed by what i can only describe as a terrible pain across my chest (i was convinced at the time this was a heart attack, lasted for 20 mins). I subsequently was taken into hospital and had blood tests,ecg's, chest x-rays, exercise tolerance tests.

All tests proved negative for heart and lung problems (great relief), however i am still getting the pain between my shoulder blades and some chest pain discomfort, i have also developed a niggling cough and the worst is a constant feeling of pressure on my throat to the point i feel i wont be able to breathe.

I am lucky that i am able to sleep and feel ok for a few hours in the morning then it all creeps back, i have reasonable days and bad days.

I have been put on 20mg omeprazole and if no improvement upper endoscopy and tissue biopsy.

Other symptoms i burp quite a lot and this eases my throat for a short time.

I have recently lost a friend to throat cancer and i am terrified.

My questions are has anybody else had simillar symptoms and does this sound like it could be gerd?.

If i am honest am scared out of my witts.

Thanks in advance.

All my best Stu

Old 02-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Re: just diagnosed

Hello Stu! Welcome to the boards. Alot of us on here have the same thing you do. Don't panic. It sounds very much like acid relux. I get the pain between the shoulder blades, chest pains (sometimes) lots of mucus in the throat and breathing issues. Its not free and easy. Then it gives me anxiety. A good sign that I am starting a flare up is getting the hickups alot and burping. Reflux for some people can come and go. I just have to go back on my Prevacid but it makes me loose hair and have burning sensations in my muscles, not fun. But I have to get the reflux back under control.

Try watching your diet. I have lots of food allergies which can trigger this. You may want to get a blood test that will test you for food allergies. It may help alot. It will be ok. Try not to worry.

Here to talk anytime you want.

The Following User Says Thank You to TEdds83 For This Useful Post:
stuboy (02-18-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
(male)

bprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB User

Stu:

This definitely sounds like reflux. All of the symptoms you are experiencing definitely point to it. You're currently on 20mg of Omprazole. Have you asked the doctor if you can raise it to 40mg? Also before you take any capsules, remember to drink about 4-6 ounces of water. I have had issue with pills getting caught in my esophagus and breaking open while stuck. This mainly causes a lot of irritation and some pain when it happens to me. So, I have to take extra water and if I feel a pill is "stuck" to eat a piece of bread or fruit to push it down.

As TEdds83 said, welcome to the board! You're not alone here...

Glenn

The Following User Says Thank You to bprapcyc For This Useful Post:
stuboy (02-18-2011)
Old 02-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
(male)

stuboy HB User

Hi

Thank you very much for your reponse, its comforting to know that i am not alone and that there are some positive actions i can try, simply understanding what is happening to me is a big help. I have had this for 2 months not really aware of what the condition is and was starting to get very low. i realise i have to kick myself out of this dark place and start facing each day with a more positive attitude and deal with things as they come, I am aware that im very lucky in lots of ways.

Once again thank you Stu.

The following user gives a hug of support to stuboy:
bprapcyc (02-18-2011)
Closed Thread