It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
(female)

nysue HB User
alternative medicines for esophagus spasm/acid reflux ?

anybody is trying or even have success with alternative or holistic medicine for esophagus spasms ? what about integrate medicine doctors ? i'm all over internet trying to find something to try.

The following user gives a hug of support to nysue:
aycealea (03-06-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: alternative medicines for esophagus spasm/acid reflux ?

I won't say don't do it. Alternative medicine is a good option for many digestive conditions. Just, let the buyer beware, because there are a lot of quacks and scam artist out there, and very few legal controls in the field of alternative medicine.

Apple cider vinegar and L-glutamine both have decent evidence backing them up. Assorted meditation techniques may calm the vagus nerve. Certainly, if your digestive problems have severely limited your diet, you may benefit from nutritional supplements. Just do your own research on the safety and effectiveness of anything recommended to you, and check the price tag in advance.

Please do not pay for any quack testing techniques for food allergies. The only means of testing for food allergies that actually work are blood tests (RAST) and elimination diets.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
(female)

mystic heart HB User

Aren't you wanting to treat the cause of the spasms? I had one esophageal spasm, realized it was related to my digestive issue (I'm assuming I have GERDS). Do you have GERDS? Have you tried any of the things mentioned here .... digestive enzymes, magnesium, calcium? Acupuncture has not helped my acid stomach. I am working with a Dr. of Oriental Medicine but it hasn't helped yet. She keeps insisting a product called Kangen Water will help, but it is so expensive I haven't tried it yet. Sorry to hear about your spasms, they are AWFUL!!!

Old 03-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
(female)

nysue HB User

yes i'd like to treat the cause of my spasms, i'm just looking into everything. i'd like to know more about digestive enzymes and mg, can you tell me what kind are you using ? i'm actually going to have an appointment with a nurse practitioner next week who is specialized in holistic and nutritinonal approach for acid reflux , she is working with my gastro dr. in the same office. i was told i have moderate gastroesophageal reflux ( without the disease word ) and whatever the MODERATE means

Old 03-07-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
(female)

Tryst HB User

My husband got relief from years of acid reflux by drinking lemon/honey water daily. Most days now, he just drinks lemon water..fresh lemon squeezed in water. Seems worth trying and I hope it helps you!

Old 03-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
(female)

mystic heart HB User

The thing that has helped me immensely is eating gluten-free. It's more expensive, but worth it. Last night I had a horrible "attack" which was helped by digestive enzymes (from local health food store), Magnesium/Calcium pill and some chinese herbs called GI Care given to me by the naturopath I'm working with.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #7
(female)

nysue HB User

can you tell me what enzymes are you using ? and the mg/calcium pills ? you don't get a diahrrea from the magnesium ( i heard it can happen with some kind of it )?

Closed Thread