It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
(male)

geek35 HB User
Chills, Bloating

Hello,

I'm 35 years old and I would like to share my problem that happened 2 weeks ago till today and i have been constantly burping before until that early morning around 2am i woke up having a severe chills without fever that shivers my entire body. i have short breaths and it lasts for about an hour. my stomach is bloating and i feel full then i have nausea. i wasn't able to sleep much because my chest is tightening up so i waited till the morning comes and have a doctor's appointment. when i visited the doctor, i told everything that happened and the doctor orders me to have my blood drawn the following day. he found out that i am having a high cholesterol level and he gave me medicines for it but ignored what i had told him about that night then he told me to have a diet and exercise daily. the days past by no chilling occured until last monday when i got chills again and this time it lasts longer and the same i have short breaths and chest pains. again i couldn't sleep because when i tried to sleep i have short breath and it tightens my chest. then the morning comes my chest is still tight and having a lightheaded feeling, dizziness and nausea so i finally called a friend who is a nurse asking for help. she said i need to take to the hospital to undergo some tests so in the afternood i went to the hospital and have EKG, blood draw, CAT Scan (lungs and chest) and Stress Test. they found out that i am having a high heart rate but i passed the stress test and they said my heart is perfectly fine and that they encourage me to exercise daily to keep in shape so they said it was probably an acid reflux or GERD plus anxiety that causes this bloated feeling so the doctors gave me potassium chloride for replenishing from water pill liquid loss, prilosec OTC, and carafate oral for my stomach problems to go along with my blood pressure pills. my blood pressure goes normal and i ate soft foods and fruits like oatmeal in the morning and wheatbread with tuna sandwhich at lunch then fish with rice in the evening. i got a slight relief in my stomach when i took carafate pill but the bloating and burping still exists and then yesterday morning again chills woke me up and i vomit this time just a little ( by the way i have a clay-like but not bloody stool since ) and until now i am still having a bloated stomach and some nasal congestion (i dunno if this is related to it ) i am hoping i wont get chills this time.

hope you guys help me about my condition. my next doctor's appointment will be next week. thanks, appreciate your answers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
(female)

lexidrifts13 HB User
Re: Chills, Bloating

I had similar symptoms. It was driving me crazy for about a month. The shortness of breath and the tightening in the chest come with GERD/Acid Reflux. Also, it comes from being stressed and anxious about what we think is going on inside of our bodies. I was lightheaded, dizzy and nauseous all day. It seemed that the bloating happened mostly at night. I had/have gastritis. I had blood work and scans as well and nothing was abnormal. Gastritis is an inflammation of the lining of the stomach. I take 20mg of Prilosec 2x a day before I eat. Maalox helps alot with the bloating. It takes about 30 days for your stomach to return to normal. Make sure your diet consists of easily digestible foods, also no spicy or tomato based foods/sauces. You should not drink carbonated sodas at all and stay away from caffeine. It took about a week for me to feel better and see a difference in my stomach and bloating. I hope that helps!

Alexis

Last edited by lexidrifts13; 03-11-2011 at 10:09 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to lexidrifts13 For This Useful Post:
geek35 (03-11-2011)
Old 03-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
(male)

geek35 HB User

thanks for your reply. i guess i need to carefully choose which food i want to eat. i would take your advice and see how it goes with my other diet routines. this forum greatly helped me get information on how to deal with my problem. different solutions to every person seems a bit tricky to me so i need to analyze and feel what food i take and it's reactions to my stomach problems. i still have 5 more days to figure it out before seeing my doctor. this has been a stressful month for me. once again, thanks.

PS.

I have Prilosec OTC taken 1x/day before bedtime and
sucralfate (carafate) oral but both of them don't really helped it. should i discontinue using them? thanks.

Last edited by geek35; 03-11-2011 at 10:27 PM.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #4
(female)

lexidrifts13 HB User

I agree! You have to find what works best for you. Let me know how your appt goes!

Old 03-11-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
(male)

geek35 HB User

okay, one more question before i go to bed. is it okay to take nasal spray? the sinus congestion and mucus seems to bother me a lot and it gives me dizziness. thanks.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:42 PM   #6
(female)

lexidrifts13 HB User

The sucralfate (carafate) maybe causing some issues you are having based on it's side effects. Prilosec works best before you eat. Maybe you should try maalox an hour after you eat and then another two hours after that. Don't eat after 7pm.

The nasal spray should be fine to continue.

Sleep well!

Last edited by lexidrifts13; 03-11-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Closed Thread