It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
(female)

Qwsd HB User
Laryngopharyngeal Reflux -- Will I ever be able to eat real foods again?

I was wondering, if this "heals up" will I be able to eat some pizza or chocolate sometimes without doing more damage?

Right now I am on meds (almost a week) but I am terrified to eat anything not bland. I dont want this to become worse, but being 30 years old, I just cannot imagine never eating another slice of pizza, or a burger with a little onions again.

Can anyone with this share their stories? Thanks.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
(male)

miketx HB Usermiketx HB User
Re: Laryngopharyngeal Reflux -- Will I ever be able to eat real foods again?

Well, my story is basically the same, except I'm about two months farther along. I've gone through the initial shock and depression of realizing that I may never get to enjoy my favorite foods again. My PCP and GI are still holding out hope that my situation will spontaneously improve, but I get more and more skeptical by the day. Fortunately, my symptoms aren't severe. If things don't turn around, I'll probably cheat a few times a year by taking a supplemental med and suffering the consequences, just so I can enjoy an occasional glass of wine with my wife or have a sliver of cake at my son's birthday party.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
(female)

Qwsd HB User

Hi Mike, thank you for your response. I am sorry you are dealing with this too.

Do you have the lump in throat feeling? I have this, and it is very annoying. I feel anxious about eating/swallowing anything. Also may I ask what beverages you are able to drink? I've been drinking nothing but water and its getting to me. I dont know what to trust and I don't know if "testing" all kinds of food/drink is a good idea when Im trying to get better, not worse..

Old 03-24-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
(male)

miketx HB Usermiketx HB User

For a couple of years, I would get a lump in my throat after eating certain foods (eggs, mainly). It always felt like something was stuck there and I could never get it out. My wife used to give me a hard time about it. I never associated it with reflux until I started having more traditional acid reflux symptoms. Strangely, I haven't noticed the lump for many months, and I now eat eggs with no problems.

For liquids, I drink teeccino (alkaline, caffeine-free coffee substitute) in the morning, a glass or two of 2% milk during the day, and water. That's pretty close to what I want to drink, with or without reflux. I suppose I'd swap teeccino for real coffee and add a glass of wine with dinner if I could, but I'm not complaining. I've never been much for soda, tea, or juice.

My GI told me not to "test" foods right now. But he also didn't tell me which foods are safe and which foods are unsafe, and there are significant differences of opinion about these things. Take carbs, for example. I do really well with oatmeal and rice. I could eat them all day and have no reflux. But I've read stern warnings that all carbs cause reflux, so I'm not sure what to do. Right now, I'm eating one bowl of oatmeal and one bowl of rice each day but limiting my carbs to those servings. (I suppose that, technically, I'm getting other carbs through vegetables and milk (sugar).)

So I've actually done a good deal of experimentation, with the exception of the foods that are on every bad-for-reflux list: coffee, alcohol, chocolate, spicy foods, and all the stuff that I wouldn't eat anyway (fried foods, soda, etc.). I don't think there's a problem with experimenting within those boundaries unless your doctor gives you more specific instructions -- which mine did not.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
(male)

tomkas HB User

This was the same question that ran through my mind many times as I felt the burning in my throat and a lump in my throat.

After a while you will be able to get back to a normal diet, but always will have to watch for some of the danger foods... especially closer to nighttime. Your body will tell you how it feels, and it will be better on some days than others.

Hard to forget about this condition though, as a relapse may occur at any time.

Don't give up!

Tom

Old 03-26-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
(female)

davysmom HB User

I have a question?I was told I had to go on a bland diet because my esophagus was so imflammed along with meds for a week or so but what are you eating and drinking because I don't know what to eat.Thank you Anne

Old 03-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
(female)

Qwsd HB User

Mike thank you. I really miss chocolate milk, iced tea and I did like having coffee once in a while. Ugh

Tom - that sounds great! I read it can take even 6 months for this to heal. Yikes. But what I dont understand is, if it eventually heals, WHY are people having big problems with this even years later?

Old 03-31-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
(female)

bimik HB User

I so understand you. I ma a big pizza lover anc chocolate lover However, I do love helthy food as well. A few days ago my ENt did a throat scope and said I have some acid in my lungs. He also told me that the back of my tongue is very close to esophagus which can give me the lump feelings. He wants me to be on PPIs. I never had any digetsion issues, but for the last 10 days I have bad digestion with burping, bloating. But I am going to stay away from the meds fornow. I am doing yoga, I am chewing DGLs before eating, I am drinking tea with ginger ( not too much b/c it can be also not very helpful), I take digetsive enzymes and I have also started to take once capsul eof Betaine HCL after my dinner (2 days already). My tongue color looks better, only in the morning its white. There is less mucus in the throat. I also keep away from coffee. I drink chamomile tea. I believe this is a great forum and we hsould share what works for us to possible find cure to this awyful problem. I am also hoping to cure myself. I am 5'9 and 130 lbs. I don't want to lose weight so I am trying to eat, just smaller portions and more often.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #9
(female)

Qwsd HB User

bimik, DGL? Not sure what this is.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #10
(female)

bimik HB User

DGL stands for De-Glycyrrhizinated Licorice. I read that it helps to heal stomach lining as well as throat. I know that it is widely used in Europe. I think it's some time of a Chinese herb. I am going to use it for a month or so.

Closed Thread