It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
(female)

dkgraham00 HB User
Doctors say all is fine, but throat pain won't stop

I am posting for my mother. She is 63 and has been dealing with acid reflux for 3 years. Recently, she had a flare up that has put her on the coach for the past week in extreme pain. She has seen all the doctors (gastro, ENT, and ER docs) and they all say everything is fine. If it was fine, she wouldn't be in any pain. Her pain is severe and concentrated in one spot in her throat (which the drs looked at and found nothing). If she lifts anything heavy (including her 12 pound grandbaby), swallows without looking forward, coughs or suddenly jerks her head, the pain is greatly intensified. If anyone can offer any suggestions at all, we'd appreciate it.

Medical history (condensed...): In 2008, my mom had her first serious episode where the acid burned her vocal cords. Took 3 months to heal using valium and ibuprofen. Continued pain and several flares up since then. In May 2010, had an esophagus spasm and was admitted to the hospital for testing, which included bloodwork, an EGD, MRI, CT scan, throat and chest x-rays, throat/stomach/esophagus biopsies and laryngoscopy. All tests came back normal and the doctors said they have no idea why she’s in pain. She now takes the following daily medication: citalopram 10mg (for stress) and omeprazole 80mg (for acid reflux), as well as other medications not related to acid reflux. She also takes valium and hydrocodon/acetaminophen as needed. Prior to 2008, my mom had regular episodes of heartburn and acid regurgitations, particularly from bread, pastries and twizzlers.

In addition to the medications, my mom has made all of the obvious lifestyles changes to reduce acid reflux (no acid "trigger" foods, sleeps with head of bed elevated, etc.). With the recent flare up, I've done hours of research and here's what she is now trying:
Gluten free diet (and finally gave up chocolate, which is an acid “trigger” food)
Currently on liquid diet (including boost, etc), until pain subsides
Taking probiotic every morning
Eating (devouring?) honey to coat and soothe the pain in her throat (tried molasses, but serious vomiting concerns)
Drinking chamomile tea with honey every night

Once she gets back to eating solid foods, she plans to drink aloe juice before every meal to help coat her throat and aid in digestion.

The new regime was only started in the past few days. The honey has greatly reduced her pain level, but it’s too early to tell if anything else has worked. If anyone has had something similar and can offer solutions, please do! She’s open to anything.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2011, 06:14 AM   #2
(female)

Jobobmar HB User
Re: Doctors say all is fine, but throat pain won't stop

Is your mother,by chance, using a cleaning agent for any kind on a mouth prosthetic or guard, etc.? my sister had a similar issue and went through many tests and was told she was fine. She figured it out on her own by researching on the internet (after many months of pain and tests).....she was using denture cleaner to soak her invisaline guards. This was causing the burn in her throat!
I hope your mother gets relief soon!

Old 04-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
(female)

aleksia HB Useraleksia HB User

I agree with the other poster that it could be something that she is using that is causing the pain. I have acid reflux and noticed that it got much worse from using moth balls to protect my clothes.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,
My best wishes to your Mother. You say she takes Honey. Has she tried Manuka Honey1tsp twice a day straight of the spoon. Another thing I would recommend is Aloe Vera Digestive Juice Aid, both these are good for the stomach and Acid.
Hope she soon feels better. Solofelix.

Closed Thread