It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
(male)

dejm1 HB User
Too low stomach acid??

I am becoming convinced my Gerd is due to too low stomach acid, not too much. I was not really eating fatty or spicy food, drinking, smoking, etc. nor high stress. I am now early 40's. Does anyone have any experience with low stomach acid reflux issues?

Is hard stool a sign of too low stomach acid? I have had this problem before the Gerd really kicked and also was eating way way way too many carbs, which I have stopped and am slowly starting to feel better actually. I was also taking Miralax daily for a fissure over a month ago when the throat Gerd issues really kicked in. I am on Prilosec 40mg twice a day but feel like maybe it's not helping and only hurting now...

Old 04-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Too low stomach acid??

Gerd can be from low stomach acid. It also can be from certain foods like coffee..peppermint..alcohol and even chocolate or any food allergy. Were you also checked for a Hiatal Hernia? Many meds. can cause heartburn as well...like Acid blockers...Asthma inhalers..some anti anxiety meds...asprin..ibuprofen, and naproxen. Obviously overeating as well.

Do a search on Gerd with low stomach acid.

Good luck..JJ...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
(male)

miketx HB Usermiketx HB User

Low stomach acid (hypochloridia) can cause GERD-like symptoms. You mention that you may have "too low stomach acid, not too much." Did a doctor diagnose you with abnormally high stomach acid? I ask because that diagnosis is extremely rare. GERD symptoms are usually due to some defect in the LES or nervous system.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:44 AM   #4
(male)

dejm1 HB User

no, never officially diagnosed as having too high stomach acid - nor excessive coffee drinker or meds taker, though ate my share of chocolate and junk food. when they heard my symptoms it was the old "oh, sounds like acid reflux, take Nexium" and I did! and then in an effort to avoid all the "trigger" foods and anything spicy or fatty I was dosing up on what I thought was "safe" like breads and oatmeal and low-fat muffins and sweet potatoes, rice, basically all starchy carbs, and even candy because i thought it was safe. Lots of stuff I already ate which contributed prob. added to the low-acid

I have been on a very low carb diet for just over a week - eating eggs and protein and no processed sugars or breads, etc. and have been feeling a lot better - I even passed on my "evening dose" of prilosec and woke up with this morning with my throat feeling better than it had been in a long time!! i plan on not taking another dose today to see what happens... I really hope this is the issue.

Last edited by dejm1; 04-17-2011 at 05:46 AM.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
(female)

bimik HB User

Dejm 1 have you been diagnose with celiac disese aor lactose intolerance? I have lpr, I never have heartburn but for the last month after overeating I had major indigetsion, I have been bloated after each meal and dont know what to eat. I am ina good physical shape so I dont want to lose weight, I dont wnat to think that I might have to eliminate bread or milk from my diet. I stopped drinking coffee and eating chocolate, doesnt help much. Can you develop intolerance to certain food at the age of 27? I never had digetsion issues before, only throat issues for 2-3 years.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:37 AM   #6
(male)

dejm1 HB User

haven't been diagnosed with anything except i had an endoscopy and saw no damage to my throat, some acid though, no h pylori. but for the heartburn they just said, "start taking nexium, etc." i was having minor stabbing sort of stomach pains and felt the heavy chest stuff - once i went on the meds it sort of helped the stomach and chest but made my throat worse.

then i discovered all the information about low stomach acid and decided that i might fall under that category for some of the reasons i mentioned. i had a seriously high carbohydrate diet, ESPECIALLY and more so when i was on the meds. it might be possible to become to allergic to things, too.

have been off the prilosec for about 3 days and can actually feel my stomach working again, making noises and such. i am having a little rebound from the meds but not so bad - since i have been on the low carb diet i think i am on the road to recovery. FINGERS CROSSED!!! :-) i also started taking DGL licorice chewable which actually make me feel a little better.

i mean i just woke up and when i was on the meds my throat would always kill me in the morning. just a little bit right now, which is also prob. allergy related....

Last edited by dejm1; 04-19-2011 at 04:37 AM.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:08 AM   #7
(male)

BlaineJackson HB User

There is a quick way you can test your stomach acid level. The test needs to be first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything. Mix one quarter teaspoon of baking soda in eight ounces of cold water and drink the solution. Time how long it takes for you to belch. If you belch with two to three minutes then your stomach acid is about right, if you belch very quick and often then you may have too much acid, if you haven't belched within five minutes then you have low levels of acid.

Belching is a result of the stomach acid and baking soda reacting to form carbon dioxide gas

Old 04-22-2011, 07:51 AM   #8
(male)

dejm1 HB User

ok, thanks, maybe i will try tomorrow - too late now, already ate! i am going to see a gastro. doctor monday to get the root of it all.... hopefully!

Old 04-23-2011, 04:27 AM   #9
(male)

dejm1 HB User

No belching at all...! i did 1/2 teaspoon baking soda in exactly 8 ounces. nada. should everyone belch on this? i know nothing is sure fire but it is something that most people would react to. maybe when my wife wakes up i will ask her to take the test... :-)

Closed Thread