It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
(female)

aleksia HB Useraleksia HB User
Burning feeling in throat, clogged ears. Does this sound like acid reflux?

I have had sore throat for about 3 weeks now. It is a burning feeling in the back of my throat that shoots out in my ears which feel clogged. Sometimes I feel it in my upper chest, too. I don't have trouble swallowing food, but this burning feeling is making me feel bad and not able to concentrate on anything. Today I feel like the back of my tongue is burning. The doctor checked for strep throat, but the test came back negative. I am now on Prilosec (omeprazole). The doctor said that he doesn't know what my symptoms are caused by, but he wants to treat me for acid reflux and see if it works. Do my symptoms sound like acid reflux?
4 years ago I got diagnosed with acid reflux, but at the time I had pain in my throat, but not my ears.
I have a lot of anxiety even without this.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User
Re: Burning feeling in throat, clogged ears. Does this sound like acid reflux?

Do you think its possible something in your dieting is doing this? maybe a food allergy is emerging. GERD wrecks havoc on the body unfortunately and yes it burns and you can feel it in your chest and it just makes a lot of discomfort and trouble. You should definietly look up gerd and candida connection. Drink lots and lots of water..flush it through your system. Throughout the day try and drink half your body weight in onces. if you are 140lbs..drink 70 onces of water througout the day. That will definitly help the GERD. Get some pearls of acidopholis and follow the instructions on the box. It sounds like you do have an allergy going in because gerd and clogged ears really seems like a your body is reacting to something you are eating or drinking. if in a couple of weeks your not better ask your doctor for an anti fungal (diflucan) for seven days. it will give you a die off effect (flu like symptoms) but that will pass in a few days. See if that resoves the issue.A gastroenterologist can do an endoscopy and look in there but sometimes yeast is missed until its severe, but they would see irratation if its GERD. good luck and feel better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
(female)

Thank you for your reply. I can't think of anything I am eating or drinking that I haven't in the past. Maybe I am starting to be allergic to something I haven't been. The burning feeling is really bad. Do you know how long it takes before the medication starts to work (if it is acid reflux that I have).

Old 04-20-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User

prisolic takes a while i think to build in your system. I use aciphex. Nexium was quite effective as well. The clogged ears is different from acid reflux though. If it is an allergy hopefully it will subside. The other thing i was wondering is the burning can really be uncomfortable are you clenching your teeth, cause that can cause swelling and pressure on the eustaciam tubes too and clogged them. That happenes to me i sleep with a mouth gaurd now. Who knew. If you still have the burning in a weak i would seriously ask your doctor if he would give you diflucan, he might not understand why, but tell him its not unheard of to get a fungal infection in your gut and since the ppi didnt work you would be most appreciative for at least 7 days of 100mg. of difucan. Cause if thats it you will heal rapidly, but honestly the diflucan kills the fungus and then you get to feel like you have the flu for a few days, but it gets better from there..be sure, real sure to drink a lot of water..need to flush your system, especially with gerd or a fungal infection. And if your doctor does agree and gives you the seven days and the burning stops (mine did after six) you need to call him and ask for an extra week of it, cause that grows back rapidly and even in the pdr it says to stay on it for a bit after the symptoms clear. I dont know if it is or isnt, im just saying if the ppi doesnt work it would be my guess. I didnt like prisolic, but i do not remember why, nexium and aciphex work in a day. You defintely need to change your diet. look up gerd and diet and it will inform you on what foods to avoid. The easy ones cause symptoms that day, the others they list. Also, try not to eat before bedtime, three hours before and sleep with your head elevated. They sell a wedge at any surgical supply store for people with reflux. It is a pillow wedge to make sure your all even and your head stays elevated. I use that. It will all pass and before you know it be better. Feel better and good luck. Did you at least buy the pearls of acidophilis and start drinking the water..it will help, cant hurt.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
(female)

Thanks, itburns. I've been sleeping on two pillows and tried to drink more water. The doctor said it could be partly allergy, but I can't figure out what I am allergic to. I am going to research what diet is good when you have acid reflux/ gerd. I put some moth balls in my drawers after some of my clothes got ruined by moths and that I think made the burning in the throat worse, so I threw all the moth balls out two days ago. Other than that I can't think of anything else that is causing this except for stress. That I have a lot of. Thanks again for your response.

Closed Thread