It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2011, 06:53 AM   #1
(male)

Ponies HB User
Acid Reflux and Breathing Problems?

Hi,
I've been having some acidity problems recently, I assume - I 'belch'/
'burp' a lot more than usual, and I did consult a doctor about this earlier, whom also said that there was a problem with stomach acid.

He gave me a med to control acid levels, which seemed to do the trick - the problem is, that was only while I was taking the meds. After the dosage period ended, I was fine for about a week, and then it started up again.

As well as that, I'm having difficulty breathing - I have to take in a large breath every now and then. I'm pretty sure it's not asthmatic, I don't have any asthmatic symptoms, i.e. I don't cough a lot, don't feel tired after exercise, the only one I have is difficulty in breathing.

This has been on-going for a few weeks now, and now it's just getting a bit... hard to live with. I have the need to 'burp'/'belch' every 1-2 minutes or so.

Also, sorry for the silly username, couldn't think of anything at the time - hehe.

Any advice/suggestions/home remedies?

I'm going to see the doctor tomorrow, because this is getting a bit unbearable. :\

Thanks! Any help greatly appreciated!

Old 05-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
(female)

worrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB User
Re: Acid Reflux and Breathing Problems?

When I was first diagnosed with GERD some years back I remember I was having a terrible episode of it. I could hardly breathe and was having terrible burning pain in my stomache, throat, and even my back. I seriously thought I was going to die. Your breathing trouble is not asthma related, it is definitely from your acid reflux. For me it took three different kinds of medication in high dosages to get it under control.

Years later, I am experiencing LPR symptoms. I still have the GERD but it seems to have joined with LPR reflux as well and I have not been having fun. I am depressed, anxious, moody....terrible.

Anyhow, good luck to you. I think your problem will be correctly addressed and you'll get some help. :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I have both reflux and asthma, and I've noticed I often cough or have more trouble breathing after a meal. It's actually pretty common for reflux to trigger cough or breathing problems. Hopefully acid blocking medicine will work well for you, in the meantime avoid large portions of food.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
(male)

jm2011 HB User

I had this happen last year, I'm a pretty relaxed person and it scared the **** out of me. Diet change, elimination of caffeine, alcohol, and soda made it better. Smaller meals, and not eating 3-4 hours before you lay down.

Though I still get it pretty bad when I exercise and hoping that improves.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
(male)

tclarklpr HB Usertclarklpr HB Usertclarklpr HB User

Totally experiencing the same thing. Shortness of breath and what seems like a pretty constant burp thoughout the day.. not like one of those big burps, but rather a soft sensation of an air bubble making its way up my throat. Some days are better than others, but always feel short of breath. Diagnosed with LPR and Post Viral Vagal Neuropathy PVVN. Was told to take PPI 2x per day and zantac, plus Klonopin 50 mg. Plus I am on a strict diet requiring food of PH greater than 5, This is after I have already been on Dexilant for about 3 or 4 months. Worse now I think. I am only in day 4 of my new regimen so will see how this shakes out over the next two weeks. I am interested to what extent the paralysis of my left vocal cord is impacting my breathing... do you also have difficulty speaking, vocal fatigue or pain? The difficult thing with this is the chicken and the egg issue - is the acid causing vocal paralysis and breathing isssues or is nerve damage from PVVN causing paralysis, acid issues and breathing difficulty. I think nailing down the answer is a bit of trial and error on medication and behavior. 6 months ago I was loving life and happy... this LPR thing has really screwed me up. Can't wait to get healthy again.

The following user gives a hug of support to tclarklpr:
worrywartmom39 (05-14-2011)
Old 05-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Acid can absolutely irritate the lungs!! It can also cause the belching. One of the first tests my Pulmonologist had me do was a Modified Barium Swallow and Esophagram. You eat and drink items with Barium and they watch on a video x-ray to see what happens. They could actually see the acid coming up to my lungs causing irritation and a bit of aspiration of the acid.

The first course of treatment is usually the standard acid reflux protocols of medications, diet and lifestyle changes. I also had asthma treatments that were upped since the acid was actually causing asthma symptoms.

How did you come out at the doctor?

Old 05-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
(female)

willow71 HB Userwillow71 HB Userwillow71 HB Userwillow71 HB User

Ugh - I'm going through this right now and I woke up with it this morning. It happens on and off but when I wake up with it, it causes a panic attack and then it gets even worse! I guess I need to REALLY stick with changed eating habits and quit pushing my luck. I have also been burping today a lot more which goes hand in hand with my breathing thing...

Old 05-14-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
(female)

noni2 HB Usernoni2 HB User

I would go to an ent doctor and have your throat checked out. I had coughing, hoarsness, breathing problems, (having to take deep breaths), my vocal cords were very red and inflamed started 2 1/2 years ago. Have been on nexium ever since, I am much much better but not entirely. Have you heard of vcd(vocal cord dysfunction?) Acid can reach your vocal cords and can cause them not to work right letting air in or out. My gp dr. thought I had mild asthma, which I believe I don't. I started reading about vcd, just knew something was going on with my vocal cords. Good luck!

Old 05-17-2011, 03:48 AM   #9
(male)

Ponies HB User

I've thought about it, and started drinking a lot more water. Up to 3/7 litres a day, it's really helping, all my problems are pretty, gone! Just not after a meal D:

Anyone else with minor symptoms like this should really try drinking a lot more water than you usually do, doesn't hurt to try!

Old 05-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #10
(female)

worrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB User

I am going to force myself to drink more water. I still want at least a cup of coffee a day. Well its not just I want it, I can't function without it. My GP told me the worst thing you can do to your body is just stop caffeine cold turkey. You'll go into withdrawals... So I will limit myself ;-)

Old 05-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

7 liters of water a day is quite a lot. Once you drink more than 4 liters per day, you are courting electrolyte imbalance.

Still, water is very good for the digestion overall!

Closed Thread