It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 06:37 AM   #1
(male)

fixed HB User
hiatal hernia - what were your symptoms?

Hi all,

For those who have/had a hiatal hernia, I was wondering if you had any symptoms... most of the websites I have looked at say that most people will have none. I am wondering if I have one though, because I have this constant pain/pressure right where I assume my LES is located. It seems to be where the xyphoid process is, right at the bottom of my breastbone, directly in the center. I also have been experiencing daily nausea, and have a chronic cough. The weird thing is, this pain and nausea comes and goes... and I can go a couple of weeks without it, then it comes back, along with the nausea. Nausea is worst in the mornings, I don't know if maybe there's some anxiety related to that, which makes it worse.

I have had a barium swallow, which came back "normal" ... am going to schedule an endoscopy today. I have lost 20 pounds due to lack of appetite, can't afford to lose anymore.

Thanks!

Old 05-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
(female)

worrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB User
Re: hiatal hernia - what were your symptoms?

When I was first diagnosed with this I was in terrible shape! I had severe acid coming up into my throat, burning in my back, chest, neck, and I was having a terrible time breathing! This was years ago before I was ever put on medication. It was an endoscopy that found the problem. My throat was really irritated and my chest cavity, and yes the stomach as well. So, symptoms vary from person to person but there is always something that lets you know something is not right.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
(female)

cindyloutx HB User

I also have the hiatal hernia, found through an Upper GI Barium Swallow. However, I also have LPR (or so they think). This causes acid to back up in my throat. The ENT didn't seem all that concerned about the hernia. Also said it was the "sliding" type. At any rate, I have severe irritation and swelling in my throat due to the acid backing up without me even realizing it. I am on 60mg of Dexilant in the morning and Zantac 150 at night. After over 2 months, it still isn't much bettter. Some days are better than others. Haven't had a meal with solid food since February. Anyone else having similar issues at all ??

Cindy

Old 05-10-2011, 01:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hello, Yes it does sound like a Hiatal Hernia. I have one and have the very same symptoms. If I press slightly just under my breast bone in the centre I can feel it. Sometimes it can be just sore other times painful. I am forever Hoarse/Clearing my throat and suffer Nausea. PPIs did not help my AR, so I started Aloe Vera juice and found it helpful after I had taken two bottles. For the Nausea I take (DOMPERIDONE) which I find helpful. The Endoscopy revealed my Hiatal Hernia also H.Pylori. Good Luck and let us know how things go. Solofelix.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
(female)

cindyloutx HB User

Thanks solo. Sometimes it helps just to know you aren't alone. I just hate this. Life is pretty much on hold as far as any kind of social life. We don't go out to dinner (because I can't eat), and we don't really go to many parties because I can't eat or drink (alcohol) there either.

I hadn't really had any "stomach pain" until recently. I don't know if it's the PPI's causing the pain or not.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:14 AM   #6
(female)

slatham1 HB User

Mine started like that and I lost 5 lbs. I get a dull pain that some times starts on my right under my boob and radiates to between my shoulder blades and it lasts off and on for an hour or so and this happens generally every few months, I do have a sliding hiatal hernia which was confirmed via an endoscopy and an upper gi series with barium. I am on 40 mg of omeprazole 2x daily.

The following user gives a hug of support to slatham1:
TexasnConfused (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 08:52 PM   #7
(female)

TexasnConfused HB User

I am right there with you. I only take gaviscon when needed but now I am defintly trying what the doc gave me 20mg omeperazole.
Its really affecting my daily life.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User

I had acid reflux, heartburn and discomfort.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

My Hiatal-Hernia causes me Indigestion-Pain-Shortness of breath and many Burps.
Solofelix.

Closed Thread