It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
(female)

elsajo HB Userelsajo HB User
emotional problems anyone else with lpr

Hi, I am suffering from lpr and had these symptoms for 2 years. sore throat, water brash, constant excessive mucus, saliva, voice changes, dysphagia, lump in throat, vomiting clear bile once a week at least, spasms all over body but especially in the back of my neck, problems with my right foot, acid in mouth, stomachache, backache, chronic fatique, anxiety, depression, stiffness in legs and arms. at first when i got ill with this i had somesort of catatonic episodes and emotional health problems. i starte getting confused and disorientated i think stress, anxiety and eating disorder as brought all this on plus smoking on empty stomach very often. i have tried various types of meds nothing is seeming to clear it up although im on omerprazole it hasnt cleared it but slowly seeing something happening now im having better days. i also suffer from high and low moods i know this could be taken as a mental health issue but wondering if there is just a possible connection with lpr. as anyone of you with lpr or acid reflux had these emotional issues as part of lpr many thanks in advance

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: elsajo
cindyloutx (05-10-2011), MountainReader (05-10-2011), neptunian808 (05-13-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
(female)

cindyloutx HB User
Re: emotional problems anyone else with lpr

Hi elsajo,
I haven't had the bad emotional stuff. But I have LPR and have suffered from anxiety/panic problems for the last few years. My LPR just became apparent in February this year. No solid food since the middle of Feb. because I can't swallow it. I guess I should be greatful I can get down soft foods and liquids. I'm on Dexilant 60mg in the morning and Zantac 150 at night. But I also take .5 mg of Xanax nightly. I am allowed to take that 3 times per day as needed for anxiety, but I try not to take it more than once per day. Anyway, It's been 69- 70 days on the Dexilant/Zantac regimen and I don't feel any better. Many people are telling me that most doctors are prescribing the PPI's (like Dexilant) twice daily and the Zantac also.

Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. tclark was kind enought to respond to me and let me know that he is dealing with similar issues. I'm so glad I found this board !!

Cindy

The following user gives a hug of support to cindyloutx:
elsajo (05-11-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to cindyloutx For This Useful Post:
elsajo (05-11-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

For me, the emotional part comes in when I'm months into a flare of LPR symptoms. My quality of life really deteriorates so much at times that I can't help but to have emotional issues. I get very very worn out, frustrated and depressed some. I also get very scared.

My LPR irritates my lungs and throat. I end up coughing all the time and having trouble breathing. I get scared because I actually almost stopped breathing once and needed emergency treatment due to the acid irritation of my lungs.

I will say that eating disorders can certainly be connected with acid reflux problems. As you know, they are also connected with mental health as well. You are correct to see a connection there.

It is just my opinion, but I'd say that most everyone on these boards dealing with true severe LPR that is flaring are dealing with some kind of emotional issues in conjunction it just might be at different severity levels for each person. Just the stress and frustration of dealing with something that is not easy to treat can't help but affect your emotional and mental health.

Last edited by MountainReader; 05-11-2011 at 07:42 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to MountainReader:
elsajo (05-11-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
elsajo (05-11-2011)
Old 05-11-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
(female)

hi, i was like you last year i couldnt eat or drink properly dysphagia. i can eat a little now but only because im on omeprazole. it was horrific so i know where your at. i was on high cal drinks then i got a blender. my whole day was taken up by just trying to get something to eat or drink, the blender was a godsend i just added plenty water if needed.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #5
(female)

hi, i get so scared sometimes i nearly pass out. at the moment im trying to relax my mind and body and this seems to help. it doesnt get as bad. anxiety definetly makes it worse. i think also negative thoughts derogatary thoghts as a big part to play in this and can cause it.

The following user gives a hug of support to elsajo:
cindyloutx (05-11-2011)
Old 05-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
(female)

worrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB User

I totally agree on the emotional issues having a huge role in the LPR or GERD problems. This semester at school for me was really hard and my nerves became really rattled. After getting sick, I began having other issues. My GERD started acting up, now what seems LPR. I've been really scared with some of this stuff. So, that being sad I think we all think and feel a whole lot alike when it comes down to this stuff. I think we all need hugs!! I hope we all can get to feeling like ourselves again and get this behind us, even if only for a little while.

The following 4 users give hugs of support to: worrywartmom39
cindyloutx (05-11-2011), elsajo (05-12-2011), MountainReader (05-11-2011), spastic44f (05-25-2011)
Old 05-11-2011, 08:41 PM   #7
(female)

cindyloutx HB User

I know exactly what you mean about school and stress and such. I'm a "mature" student and am finishing up my bachelor's degree. Then I also have a part-time job and my twin teenage boys still at home. I'm quite sure that stress and anxiety play a huge factor in the degree of damage as well as the healing time.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #8
(male)

abs1122 HB Userabs1122 HB User

same kind of stuff happening to me , just feeling like my life would gona end

so tired of this pain now .. sometimes i feel this will never go away

today will be seeing ENT person, I m just praying everything would be okay

just seen some stuff sometime ago on google its still on my mind

i wish you all the best , cant help more as my life is hell itself nowadays

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: abs1122
cindyloutx (05-11-2011), elsajo (05-12-2011), worrywartmom39 (05-12-2011)
Old 05-11-2011, 11:05 PM   #9
(female)

cindyloutx HB User

abs....hang in there ! We all feel your pain and know it's so hard to deal with all this. But we all have hope ! I'm confident this WILL get better. The waiting is the hard part. But hang in there !!

Cindy

The Following User Says Thank You to cindyloutx For This Useful Post:
abs1122 (05-15-2011)
Old 05-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #10
(female)

worrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB User

Abs, I will be praying for you and will be hoping you get some answers and relief today. Please do let us all know how it goes for you! I feel so bad for you because you seem to be suffering terribly! We all have these episodes I am sure! I also think we all worry that it is something else at times. I think all of this is just human nature. But you know, just the compassion for one another that is shared here can ease one troubled mind. Again, I'll be thinking of you today :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to worrywartmom39 For This Useful Post:
abs1122 (05-15-2011)
Old 05-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #11
(male)

Pasedena_guy HB User

I will state that consuming disorders can absolutely be attached with unpleasant reflux problems. As you understand, they are furthermore attached with mental wellbeing as well. You are correct to glimpse a attachment there.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:55 AM   #12
Veteran
(male)

kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User

My LPR started during the most stressful time of my life. I am 100% sure it plays a role.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:18 PM   #13
(female)

hang on in there, i really think we can all help each other find a way out of this or if only reducing it a little, try to find ways to cope thats one for me as well i often say i cant cope when i get so frightened by it. i have never known an illness like it it feels like its driving me crazy at times hopelessness despair so i think we can help each other out by talking about things that make it worse things that make you better if only for a little while thats something, i want us to coz i dont feel as tho i can handle it sometimes i just want a normal life with some quality as we all do

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: elsajo
eew (05-19-2011), MountainReader (05-19-2011), worrywartmom39 (05-14-2011)
Old 05-14-2011, 09:25 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi abbs, Solo here. Been wondering how your Hospital/Dr appointment went.
Sent a prayer up for you on that day! Hope the news wasnt too bad .
Let me know how you got on. Best Wishes .Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
abs1122 (05-15-2011)
Old 05-19-2011, 12:39 AM   #15
(female)

eew HB Usereew HB Usereew HB Usereew HB Usereew HB Usereew HB User

Hang in ther Elsajo. LPR is so painful and it is very normal that it causes sadness. I've somehow dug myself out of the deepest despair with the searing throat/head/neck pain I have found the cutting out all meat (accept for seafood) and taking mega doses of probiotics have helped me. Nothing else worked for me. PPIs don't work. I burn severely on PPIs. Antacids...Gaviscon only gave me minimal relief. My Drs are at a loss as what to do for me. I had a fundo and came out 10x worse which put me in a desperate state. I withered away. Walked into a ER and told them I could not handle the pain anymore. They gave me psy drugs and pain pills. It made me worse. Because of a move it took time to get a new GI and ENT. My new Drs have never had a patient or heard of LPR before me. After 6 months of treating me they have come to accept that its real. My new GI took me off PPIs in Oct as it did nothing to help me. So both my Drs are supportive of my experiments on myself. Its taken alot of trial and error to find what helps me up to 90%. No meat and mega doses probiotics. My GI thinks that the probitoics helps change the chemistry of my stomach environment. I manage LPR every day and have to watch carefully what I eat but at least I have pulled myself out of a very severe case of LPR. It is a horrible anatomical problem. Not only are our LESs not closing tight enough but for some reason we also have our UES not working. So the small bit of vapor or gas from the stomach burns our throat. It is a small amount and does not bother the esophogus.

Sometimes it helps to understand what is happening. There is a Linx procedure that is being tested all over the world but it has years before it makes it through the approval process. Just hope some researcher, some where, finds something that can help tighten the LES. LES is a serious problem and it does affect our emotional health when you are in pain day after day, month after month, year after year. You are having very normal feelings due to LPR pain and you must work hard to find a Dr that will help you and do your own research and find what works for you. Believe in your ability to help yourself and don't give up trying till you find what works for you. I'm so sorry that you are so young with the dibilitating pain.

< edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 05-19-2011 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

The following user gives a hug of support to eew:
MountainReader (05-19-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to eew For This Useful Post:
elsajo (08-18-2011)
Closed Thread