It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
(male)

dejm1 HB User
Low carb, how to put on weight?

i have been trying low carb for my reflux and i have made a lot of progress - not on any kind of PPI and just taking tums now and again. some days better than others and still have heaviness and pain in chest for the most part but not always. my digestion could be better since i have not had as much fiber except from fruit and vegetables - no grains, etc. - but I am looking pretty thin these days - I am about 5'5 and 115 pounds. while not overly gaunt, thin!!!

what do people think about low carb protein drinks with lots of calories? i have been having double choc. muffins almost every day just to try and fatten a little, and not bothering my reflux much. what are some other ways to put on weight?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Low carb, how to put on weight?

Hi, Well done!.. I have AR/Gerd and am taking the same route as you. No PPIs, I didn't find them any help. As I am prone to Candida in my mouth, I took much the same diet as you. No sugar/cakes/biscuits/pastry or junk food. I don't eat bread, instead I eat Oatmeal Biscuits (no sugar).I eat all meats except Beef and have fruit and yogurt for Dessert along with nuts/seeds,I also eat Fish. I do eat potatoes, I have no problem with them. BUT!... I have same problem as you, I lost 14lbs. I am already a thin person weighing just 46kg. This diet has helped me immensely with both problems but I want to get some more weight on. Any replies on how I can do this is appreciated. Solofelix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

I have been on a low carb diet too, but mine was to lose weight. It does work and has helped my son's reflux. Are you able to tolerate oatmeal, the old fashioned cooking kind? Also brown rice might help. You might even be able to have regular white rice. Good luck.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
(male)

dejm1 HB User

glad it's helping you as well and your son - i've been laying off most starches and haven't tried any lately, like rice, potatoes, most bread. that was the stuff that was kind of aggravating me, esp. bagels and even pretzels. i should try some rice to see how i feel - my wife is japanese and would make her happy :-) i was having oatmeal but at the time when it got worse i lumped it in. i will give it a shot since i like it so much. would love to hear some more with your experiences as it goes on. what works and doesn't.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Thank You for your reply. I have porridge every morning with Cinnamon and (XYLITOL), very nice and no problem with it.
What I do miss is a cookie now and then. I will look up some recipes with Oatmeal. For those of you who want to avoid sugar (XYLITOL) is great, tastes same as sugar, you can also cook with it. Good Luck, Solofelix.

Closed Thread