It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
(female)

babydoll233 HB Userbabydoll233 HB User
Unhappy Amitriptilyne for Acid Reflux Pain

Hi All, I have acid reflux and sensitive esophogus. I had a endoscopy done a month ago and was told I no longer have barrets, yay!! test came back great and also had an ultra sound to rule out gallstones in my ducts, all fine, but I had terrible pain in my upper abdomen which radiated to my back for 6 weeks, i have been on nexium 40 mgs for 5 years, my insurance company no longer covers it, now on omeprazole. I am in pain again (i cant be on anything but nexium). My gastro dr wants to try a low 10mg dose of an anti depressant at night, he says he has had success with many patients who have pain with acid reflux. Has anyone tried this route?? I just want to be pain free. I am also on an anti inflammatory to see if my back and sternum are causing this pain, i am frustrated, the minute i go off of nexium the pain begins... i cannot afford to pay 250.00 a month since its not covered by united healthcare anymore, letters and phone calls have fallen on deaf ears....

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: babydoll233
MountainReader (05-10-2011), worrywartmom39 (05-11-2011)
Old 05-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Amitriptilyne for Acid Reflux Pain

I've taken Amitriptyline for pain, and it helps a lot. I think it helps my stomach issues, too.

However, I think that you should stop taking the anti-inflammatory. People with upper digestive problems should never take aspirin, Advil, or other NSAIDs unless absolutely necessary.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
babydoll233 (05-11-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

My ENT has had me on it for LPR before when my throat is in bad shape from the acid. I've never been off of the PPI's while on it though. I do know it is fairly standard as part of LPR treatment though.

Can you share which other PPI's you've tried and why you can't take them anymore? I've been on all of the ones on the market over the last few years and had varied experiences with them. For me, Nexium was by far the worst.

Can you take any of the OTC meds that aren't PPI's? Maybe a combination of those could help some as well.

Has your doctor filed an insurance appeal on your behalf yet? My ENT fought for me for 6 months for a prescription last year. When he couldn't get the coverage, he was able to get me help through a foundation set up by the manufacturer. Might be worth checking into that as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
babydoll233 (05-11-2011)
Old 05-11-2011, 05:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Sorry to hear of your problems. I have Gerd, Small Hiatal-Hernia and Diverticulitis. I had some awful symptoms which all started two yrs ago after treatment for H.Pylori. I was given Nexium for the Acid, I only took them for one week and decided to go the Natural route. Mainly because a friend has been on them the same length of time and just cant give them up as he has double trouble if he misses just one. He still has problems but I seem to be getting mine under control with Diet and Aloe Vera Juice which I started the beginning of this year. Cant say I'm cured but my life is now manageable and I can eat well, I do still have Gerd symptoms but the diet and Juice has helped a lot. Best Wishes, Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
babydoll233 (05-11-2011)
Old 05-11-2011, 06:40 AM   #5
(female)

Thank you so much for replying, I am starting the ami tonight, and Yes, i have stopped the anti inflammatory today. I appreciate your help, i will keep you posted!!!

Old 05-11-2011, 06:41 AM   #6
(female)

I have been on Prilosec, Protonix, Nexium and Prevacid. Nexium seems to work the best for me. I will see how the amitriptilyne works, hopefully something helps because the pain is so frustrating, thanks so much for your help!!

Old 05-11-2011, 07:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

I agree with janewhite about anti-inflammatories. I was given them for a Frozen Shoulder and they caused bleeding in my stomach . An Endoscopy showed where it had been. I will never take them again. It was found I had H.Pylori which can cause ulcers.
Of course not everyone would have a problem with them. But if you have stomach issues they are best avoided. Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
babydoll233 (05-11-2011)
Old 05-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #8
(female)

Smile Re: Amitriptilyne for Acid Reflux Pain

I was diagnosed with h pylori in march also, no ulcer and the biopsey was negative after the 14 day prevpack. I have stopped the anti inflammatory today, my family dr thought it would help my sternum and back pain, which it did, but now i just want to relax and take care of my stomach, been having issues for about 5 years now, i hate it! hopefully the pain will be managed soon, missing out on life for the past few months, it gets depressing, thanks again!

Old 05-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #9
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solofelix View Post
Sorry to hear of your problems. I have Gerd, Small Hiatal-Hernia and Diverticulitis. I had some awful symptoms which all started two yrs ago after treatment for H.Pylori. I was given Nexium for the Acid, I only took them for one week and decided to go the Natural route. Mainly because a friend has been on them the same length of time and just cant give them up as he has double trouble if he misses just one. He still has problems but I seem to be getting mine under control with Diet and Aloe Vera Juice which I started the beginning of this year. Cant say I'm cured but my life is now manageable and I can eat well, I do still have Gerd symptoms but the diet and Juice has helped a lot. Best Wishes, Solofelix.
Can you tell me about the aloe vera juice? How much do you drink a day? I heard it's really good for you? I would appreciate it! thank you!!

Old 05-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello babydoll, I find the Aloe Vera Juice does help me. It hasn't cured me so I don't want to raise anyone's hopes. Read up on it and see what you think. I take it along with a healthy diet and I seem to be finding things a little better. I think the (Aloe Vera Digestive Aid) juice is the best for me. I am on my second bottle so its a little early yet to say how things will go, I will give it a months trial. I take (25ml) twice a day. Solofelix.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #11
(female)

Thank you so much, I am going to read up a bit more this weekend and talk to a holistic health person, I would love to be off all medication! Thanks again, have a great day!

Closed Thread