It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2011, 06:08 AM   #1
(female)

Relevant HB User
Lpr - gerd

I have acid re-flux but I hear others talk of LPR associated with it. What is that?

Old 05-11-2011, 06:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Lpr - gerd

LPR (Larygopharyngeal Reflux) is when the acid rises all the way up to the throat, (the larynx and pharynx) producing symptoms such as hoarseness, throat pain or cough.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
(female)

worrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB User

It also causes symptoms such as heavy mucus in the nasal area and throat where you are constantly trying to clear your throat. You can have fullness feeling in your ears and have earaches as well. You also can have a feeling on one side of your throat like something just stuck there, which is really a build up of mucus. I've also read that you can have gland irritation from this and there can be some gland swelling. I'm sure there are other symptoms as well. Anxiety and stress of course are emotional items that can occur with. I have been having all of these issues, though I am feeling a little better now.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
(female)

Relevant HB User

Thank you. I have all those symptoms and my doctor has never said a thing about lpr.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
(female)

worrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB User

are you currently taking any PPI's or ulcer medications? Can't remember if I read you said your are or not. I'd also go see a ENT doctor as they can help you alot more than a GP or a GI doc.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
(female)

Relevant HB User

I take generic prilosec twice a day. I did go to a ENT probably 4 or 5 years ago and he was the one who diagnosed it. I had sores in my mouth from the acid and had had a sore throat for months. I could not figure out what was wrong with me. I always have the hoarseness and clearing of the throat all the time and get that something stuck in my throat feeling. I also have sinus problems that I'm wondering now are not associated with it too. What else can they do besides the medicine. I was on another medicine for it and switched but I can't tell the difference.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
(male)

tclarklpr HB Usertclarklpr HB Usertclarklpr HB User

Relevant - to get you started on LPR - treatment - research - etc., check out the website for Jamie Koufman of the Voice Institute of New York. She coined the term LPR ages ago. Read her blogs, research, etc. This will give you plenty of info to digest.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #8
(female)

Relevant HB User

thank you, I'll do that.

Closed Thread