It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
(female)

StrangeKitty HB User
Question Heartburn in middle of back

I've never been able to find the answer to this question and I hope someone can help me. I get heartburn/reflux off and on and currently it isn't a big problem. But when I do get heartburn, it will often radiate to the middle of my back. And it feels just like heartburn, but it's in my back.

When I was in my mid-twenties (I'm 40 now) I had to work the midnight shift for a few weeks and I had severe heartburn and pains in my back. I could barely function because of it. My doctor sent me for an upper GI that showed nothing. Once I went back onto a normal shift it got a lot better. But ever since then if I get heartburn, it's often also in my back.

Can anyone tell me what this might be?

The following user gives a hug of support to StrangeKitty:
kinkyk123 (05-17-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
(female)

worrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB User
Re: Heartburn in middle of back

have you had an endoscopy done? That is what found my initial problem. I was having the burning in my back with one of my first attacks with GERD and it took test after test to find out what was going on. The endoscopy pinpointed the problem though. Perhaps you should request one of these to get to the bottom of your problem!

The Following User Says Thank You to worrywartmom39 For This Useful Post:
StrangeKitty (05-12-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
(female)

StrangeKitty HB User

I may do that if my problem gets worse or more frequent. Thanks!

Old 05-16-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
(male)

PH PATRIOT HB User

I had that same symptom before being dx'ed with gerd,ever since being on ppi's I don't get that pain anymore,been on prevacid for 4 yrs.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi, AR/Gerd can cause this. What treatment were you recomended. An Endoscopy would show the cause also a Hiatal Hernia can cause pain in the back, at least mine does when it plays up. Do you take PPIs, I was prescribed them for that reason. Some find them helpful. Speak to your Dr again.
I wish you well, Solofelix.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
(female)

babydoll233 HB Userbabydoll233 HB User

I have had the same problem for a few years, i recently had terrible pain in the middle of my back and had an endoscopy done, everything was fine, just a sensitive esopphogus and acid reflux ( i had barrett's and now they say I dont have it). I am on prilosec now, but was on nexium for years, trying to get it approved thru my insurance again, it seems to work best for me. My family doctor seems to think I now have arthritus in the middle of my back which is eased with a heating pad and anti inflammatories. I was taking mobic for a few weeks and it really helped. I stopped taking them last week and with this wet damp cold weather, I was in agony this morning. I took a mobic and felt fine in about 30 mins. Talk to your doctor, see a gastro doctor, get to the bottom of it, its very frustrating, good luck, let me know how you do! take care

Old 05-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
(female)

kinkyk123 HB User

oh my gosh....ive had that for yrs, ive been an alcoholic and just put it down to my reflux but its awfully odd and highly painfull isnt itm8??
gud luk in finding a solution,
karen xxxx

Closed Thread