It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
(female)

jab300 HB User
gastric emptying test

I had my followup after my endoscopy with my GI doc today. I have been taking Dexilant 60mg in the morning and Prilosec OTC at night faithfully for over a month and have no relief from burning in throat and am still unable to eat full meals. My doc has me scheduled tomorrow for a gastric emptying test. He thinks if my stomach is not emptying quickly enough it makes the acid come up. What happens if they find that my stomach doesn't empty properly? Anyone had GERD problems due to stomach emptying issues?

Last edited by jab300; 05-12-2011 at 10:12 AM.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
(female)

RoxieHart HB User
Re: gastric emptying test

Hi. I don't know all of your symptoms but have you seen an oral surgeon to determine if you have Burning Mouth Syndrome?

My neighbor has GERD-like symptoms from gastroparesis, diagnosed after she had a gastric emptying test.

I have GERD-like symptoms, had the gastric emptying test, but the test was normal.

The Following User Says Thank You to RoxieHart For This Useful Post:
jab300 (05-16-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

If your stomach is emptying too slowly, there are medications that can speed the process up. Some have bad side effects, though.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
(female)

RoxieHart HB User

Yes, there are medications you can take if it is determined that you have gastroperesis. I believe my neighbor takes something and told me she just has to eat more slowly and eat smaller meals - which is what we have to do with GERD symptoms anyway

For what it's worth, the test is EASY. Bring a book or ipod in case there isn't a tv in the room. I just ate (icky) eggs and toast and drank a little water. Every half hour the tech came in and had me stand in front of the x-ray machine for 30 seconds. I think I was there a total of two hours. I didn't even have to wear a jonnie. Just make sure you don't have metal zippers/buttons and you can wear your regular clothing during the test.

Good luck!

Old 05-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
(female)

jab300 HB User

I had the test. I had to eat the rubbery nuclear eggs and lay on a table for 90 minutes while a machine took a picture (the tech said it took a pic every minute and that it takes 1 minute to take a pic.) I called the dr office today and the nurse said the results say I do have delayed emptying but won't get any specific details until my followup with the dr in late June. I found a couple of sites that suggested a mostly liquid diet and am trying that in the meantime. Thanks for all the help.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:56 AM   #6
(female)

RoxieHart HB User

Interesting. Your test was different. I thought I was going to have to lie on the table for 90 minutes, too. But instead I just hung out and every 30 minutes they took a 30 second picture with me standing in front of the x-ray machine thingy.

Well, I hope everything turns out okay and you have a fast and easy recovery!

Old 07-26-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
(female)

msterra37 HB User

I had to lay on a hard, slim table for 90 min and it was so hard to do!!! I wished I could of got to stand up every 30 min in front of scanner, lol--but I have Gastroparesis --they called today-- I go in tomorrow at 4pm for the game plan...we will see...this sucks!

Old 07-27-2011, 05:12 AM   #8
(female)

jab300 HB User

Let us know the plan, so far the one set up for me isn't working.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:22 AM   #9
(female)

msterra37 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab300 View Post
Let us know the plan, so far the one set up for me isn't working.
HI!
What do they have you doing? I know right now I am not going to try the Reglan etc. before trying natural herbs first...get more exercise (walking) but I will def. post this evening when I get back from the doctor with what the surgeon advises! Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to msterra37 For This Useful Post:
jab300 (07-27-2011)
Old 07-27-2011, 08:39 AM   #10
(female)

jab300 HB User

Well, they gave me the Gastroparesis "diet" sheet to follow. Mainly I eat small amounts anyway because that's all I can. For meds I'm on omaprazole. The insurance wouldn't approve 40mg, which the doc wanted me to take once in the morning and then otc Prilosec at night. The Prilosec twice a day just didn't help any with the reflux but I honestly haven't bothered trying to do two pills to get the 40mg dose the insurance won't cover. I can handle the eating small meals and feeling full and such, it's the reflux that bothers me most...mainly because before we found out it was GP they found erosion on my espophagus. I get the burning, soreness, lump, cough thing on and off all day. Sucking on losenges and chewing gum help, but only temporarily. I think the next step will probably be the ph test to see if the meds are indeed controlling the acid, but I don't go back to see the doc for a while. I sure hope you get good info and it helps you.

The Following User Says Thank You to jab300 For This Useful Post:
msterra37 (07-27-2011)
Old 07-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #11
(female)

msterra37 HB User

Thanks! I am having the burning so bad in my throat..I have been on Nexium for over a month now..suppose to take 2 a day...but really only have been taken 1...more so than not..for me it got worse after the endoscopy..didn't even feel any of this before. I went in hospital due to bleeding of intestines..she just decided to do endo..I am wondering if when they done a bile suction...cause it was so bad it uncovered the ulcer that I have and now it has seriously irritated everything!! I will def. undate this evening=)

Old 07-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Hi! I had my gastric emptying study a few weeks ago. I have gastroparesis, and my most bothersome symptom is gastritis. I get reflux sometimes, mainly LPR symptoms, not so much heartburn.

It's good to finally understand why my stomach's been bad all these years.

Because I have gastritis, I stay away from any spicy or acidic foods. For the gastroparesis, I avoid anything high in fat or fiber.

I eat white bread, no whole grains. (I LIKE whole grains. )

I cook my veggies before I eat them, and I stay away from broccoli and cabbage. Cooked spinach, green beans and carrots are good choices.

Small portions are absolutely vital. Shakes, smoothies and energy drinks add calories to my diet and help me put on weight, which I need.

I was on omeprazole, but it didn't help much. I quit about a month ago for testing and haven't gone back on. I did get worse after quitting, but that's just the rebound, and it's starting to fade. Gaviscon or Carafate help with the gastritis pain, but Carafate is so expensive. Reglan helped, but I hated the side effects: it actually made my asthma worse. I want Domperidone, haven't tried it yet.

Next week, I go back to the doctor to see what the long-term treatment plan is.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #13
(female)

jab300 HB User

Hi Jane. Isn't it strange now that we know we have GP we are told to avoid whole grains and fiber? Been trying to get more of those for years and now can't seem to avoid them lol. So many products out there are now enhanced with more fiber and whole grains...even things that aren't meant to have more fiber lol. Anyway, just wanted to say I agree, I miss some of the whole grain/wheat foods as well.

Closed Thread