It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
(female)

willow71 HB Userwillow71 HB Userwillow71 HB Userwillow71 HB User
On Meds - still symptomatic

Hi everyone

I went from OTC stuff to Zegerid to my latest of Dexilant here about a month ago after having another scope. The scope was clear other than spotting a hiatal hernia.

Question is, I am supposed to be on some of the best medicine out there now. I eat pretty good most of the time but do occasionally like a meal that's not so good - sometimes a couple in a week. My friend thought that this was the best medicine and I should be able to eat anything on this - but I can't. If I eat bad, I most generally still pay for it whether it even be mild. Sometimes I can get away, but not always.

Is it just that some people like me may never be able to eat normal again no matter what they are on? Anyone else like me?

Thank you

Last edited by willow71; 05-12-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: On Meds - still symptomatic

There are a lot of people who still have some symptoms, even while on strong medication. Heck, some of us are taking multiple meds, and watching our diets, and still having daily symptoms.

If there are "trigger" foods that you just love too much to give up forever, then don't. I find that doing without fried foods isn't much of a sacrifice, but every now and then I've just got to have, say, pasta with real tomato sauce, or just a taste of a real hot curry. I eat a small portion, well cushioned with bland foods. I may pay for it afterward, but it won't kill me.

The commercials make it seem like if you take medication, you'll never have any problems at all, but that's not exactly the truth.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2011, 01:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi, It's a case of trial and error whether you are on meds or not. After treatment for H.Pylori two yrs ago, I developed all sorts of stomach issues. I have Hiatal Hernia and Diverticulitis. Gerd appeared after the H.P treatment. I soon learned what I could and what I couldnt eat. I take no prescribed medication and stick entirely to a Healthy Diet and Aloe Vera Juice. I eliminated all sugar things and Spicy foods and eat just, Meat, Fish, Veg, Fruit and Nuts. I make my own Cookies with XYLITOL and Almond flour. All the best, Solofelix.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:18 AM   #4
(female)

willow71 HB Userwillow71 HB Userwillow71 HB Userwillow71 HB User

Thank you for the replies.

My friend actually works for a gastrointestinal (sp?) doctor and has seen so many people get better on meds that she just assumed that meds fixed it. I told her I must be the exception, but apparently I'm not...LOL

I do stay away from the "main" trigger foods almost always. Ice cream, spicy, chocolate, etc but darn it, sometimes I just gotta! Oh well, I too know it won't kill me - will just suffer along.

Thank you!

Last edited by willow71; 05-13-2011 at 06:19 AM.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:28 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

You sound like you are doing just fine with your diet.
Don't deny yourself an ice-cream or chocolate now and then.
Remember the old saying (Everything in moderation). I will eat one/two choc pieces a day , whereas I used to eat two bars a day...Solofelix.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I've heard that about 90-95% of people see complete or near-complete resolution of reflux symptoms on a PPI drug. Most of the rest see partial improvement.

The fact is, the people here ARE the exceptions. I've said it before, for just about any condition, the people who get quick relief from the standard treatments are NOT the ones still hanging out on Healthboards. If you are considering a treatment, you may want to read the horror stories on the Internet. But the thousands of people who recovered with few to no problems aren't here, they're off playing soccer.

Now, that being said, the fact that "difficult" cases can come together and share experiences here is very valuable. We may help each other come up with solutions, and at the very least we know we aren't alone.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
worrywartmom39 (05-13-2011)
Closed Thread