It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
(female)

emwitty HB User
Is it okay to go on an international trip with LPR/ reflux?

Hello,
I was diagonsed with LPR (after PH tests/ scopes) several years ago my an ENT. prior to diagoses I had been suffering for 2 months. I had globus, sore throat, refereed ear/ glad pain, excuse mucus. By far the worst for me was VCD (Vocal Cord Dysfunction) and the inability to catch a breath. This was a feeling 24/7 sun up, sun down for me. No matter if I was calm or active. It also resulted in a tightening of my neck, it felt like an elephant was siting on my neck and chest and I was being choked, all the muscles were tense. It radiated down my back and created chronic costocondritis.

I was given a dose of 40mg Nexium 2x a day. I was also on Kosopin to help loosen my muscles and ease the anxiety of not being able to breath. I was on the strictest of reflux friendly diets (even after I have maintained it for the most part), I took DGL, slippery elm, digestive enzymes, probiotics as well as drank ginger root juice. I also raised the bed and slept on a wedge pillow.

I was faithful and very stick with all this. And I began to feel better in 6 weeks. 3 months into it I felt much better and by 6 months totally LPR free. I did not have another episode for nearly 4 years. 10 days ago it came back out of the blue. All I can think of was I was drinking lots of soda, a bit of alcohol and was stressed about school. Nothing excessive but still... I went to the ENT 2 days ago and he confirmed my throat was burnt and my vocal cords don't open when I breathed. He simply said to keep doing what I'm doing and time will heal. Which I know.

Here is my dilemma. I am supposed to be on an airplane in 7 days. An airplane to S. AM where I will be for 10 days. In those ten days I am supposed to travel 4 other airplanes. I am also going to be active while there. This trip has been planed for 4 months and is all paid for and booked. It is impossible to reschedule, I have checked.

My biggest concern is my VCD is back big time. I have problems breathing no matter how zen I am or calm. It is so exhausting thinking about every breath. Its 24/7 plus all my muscles are tight. I can deal with the other pain and discomfort. I have been bedridden mostly the last 10 days, trying to repair myself. I have been taking 40 mg nexium (for which I had stopped for years prior) 2xs a day, also drinking aloe and apple cider vinger, taking DGL, licorice, slippery elm digestive enzymes, betatine hcl, gibger root and manuka honey. but of course it's only been 10 days. I don't expect miracles. by the time I am to leave it will be 17 days. A few days over 10 weeks. i can say I believe I feel a ting, ever ever so slight better. But this might just be in my head. I want to know from people who have LPR/ VCD or severe other kinds of reflux if they have ever traveled while having bad flare ups. I really really want to go. And there are moments where I think this sucks but I can do it. Then moments where I feel I'm dying from air hunger. However, I want to hear opinions from folks who have similar problems as me if they have advice, if they have done it. I feel sitting on my butt isn't going to make me feel better, but I also need to be able to breath. I don't want to not go though. I have 7 days til my flight leaves. It's in a different city so I need to drive 10 hours in maybe 5 days for it. And it's dependent on other people so i need to decide today or tomorrow if I'm going. I don't want to put my life on hold. I want to live it. If I go there will be no wedge pillow (I can sleep on my left), i will not partake in any "bad" foods or liquids, will drink tons of water and I will bring all the supplements and my medication that I can. This is really putting me in deep deep depression and sadness for having to consider this.

Thank you for your advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
(female)

worrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB User
Re: Is it okay to go on an international trip with LPR/ reflux?

I would go. You have planned it and it might even be of benefit to you, relaxation wise. Just make sure you follow your regimen to the T. If anything happens while you're away make certain you know how to get to a medical facility if necessary. Otherwise, live your life, you only have one. Sitting there feeling depressed is not making you happy. Try your best to be happy and time will heal your LPR flare up. Hugs to you! I totally understand :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to worrywartmom39 For This Useful Post:
emwitty (05-15-2011)
Old 05-15-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Definitely make sure that you have the right foods and supplements available to you, but I think it should be ok.

Remember that liquids in airline carry-ons are subject to restrictions in the US. Check the TSA website for details. One good way to work around the restrictions is to carry a large empty water bottle through security and then fill it at a fountain near the gate. This is totally legal, and this way you don't have to spend $5 on a water bottle beyond the security checkpoint.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
emwitty (05-15-2011)
Old 05-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
(male)

tclarklpr HB Usertclarklpr HB Usertclarklpr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by emwitty View Post
Hello,
I was diagonsed with LPR (after PH tests/ scopes) several years ago my an ENT. prior to diagoses I had been suffering for 2 months. I had globus, sore throat, refereed ear/ glad pain, excuse mucus. By far the worst for me was VCD (Vocal Cord Dysfunction) and the inability to catch a breath. This was a feeling 24/7 sun up, sun down for me. No matter if I was calm or active. It also resulted in a tightening of my neck, it felt like an elephant was siting on my neck and chest and I was being choked, all the muscles were tense. It radiated down my back and created chronic costocondritis.

I was given a dose of 40mg Nexium 2x a day. I was also on Kosopin to help loosen my muscles and ease the anxiety of not being able to breath. I was on the strictest of reflux friendly diets (even after I have maintained it for the most part), I took DGL, slippery elm, digestive enzymes, probiotics as well as drank ginger root juice. I also raised the bed and slept on a wedge pillow.

I was faithful and very stick with all this. And I began to feel better in 6 weeks. 3 months into it I felt much better and by 6 months totally LPR free. I did not have another episode for nearly 4 years. 10 days ago it came back out of the blue. All I can think of was I was drinking lots of soda, a bit of alcohol and was stressed about school. Nothing excessive but still... I went to the ENT 2 days ago and he confirmed my throat was burnt and my vocal cords don't open when I breathed. He simply said to keep doing what I'm doing and time will heal. Which I know.

Here is my dilemma. I am supposed to be on an airplane in 7 days. An airplane to S. AM where I will be for 10 days. In those ten days I am supposed to travel 4 other airplanes. I am also going to be active while there. This trip has been planed for 4 months and is all paid for and booked. It is impossible to reschedule, I have checked.

My biggest concern is my VCD is back big time. I have problems breathing no matter how zen I am or calm. It is so exhausting thinking about every breath. Its 24/7 plus all my muscles are tight. I can deal with the other pain and discomfort. I have been bedridden mostly the last 10 days, trying to repair myself. I have been taking 40 mg nexium (for which I had stopped for years prior) 2xs a day, also drinking aloe and apple cider vinger, taking DGL, licorice, slippery elm digestive enzymes, betatine hcl, gibger root and manuka honey. but of course it's only been 10 days. I don't expect miracles. by the time I am to leave it will be 17 days. A few days over 10 weeks. i can say I believe I feel a ting, ever ever so slight better. But this might just be in my head. I want to know from people who have LPR/ VCD or severe other kinds of reflux if they have ever traveled while having bad flare ups. I really really want to go. And there are moments where I think this sucks but I can do it. Then moments where I feel I'm dying from air hunger. However, I want to hear opinions from folks who have similar problems as me if they have advice, if they have done it. I feel sitting on my butt isn't going to make me feel better, but I also need to be able to breath. I don't want to not go though. I have 7 days til my flight leaves. It's in a different city so I need to drive 10 hours in maybe 5 days for it. And it's dependent on other people so i need to decide today or tomorrow if I'm going. I don't want to put my life on hold. I want to live it. If I go there will be no wedge pillow (I can sleep on my left), i will not partake in any "bad" foods or liquids, will drink tons of water and I will bring all the supplements and my medication that I can. This is really putting me in deep deep depression and sadness for having to consider this.

Thank you for your advice.
Go Go Go! I have many of your sypmtoms right now and working through it on similar treatment. I find it all very depressing. The best I have felt in 6 months was 10 days I recently spent in Europe. I relaxed my diet and just let go a little.. took some Xanax and PPIs - felt pretty good for 10 days. I found myself not thinking as much about this LPR crap for a few days and that alone was better than any drug. Go for sure. The only downside for me was ear pain and the plane ride - since my ears have been acting up too. I used Earplains earplugs (purchase at local drug store) along with Nasal spray and Sudafed prior to takeoff - that combo helped mitigate a litte of the air pressure/pain issues. This was recommended by my ENT.

The Following User Says Thank You to tclarklpr For This Useful Post:
emwitty (05-15-2011)
Old 05-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
(female)

emwitty HB User

Thanks for all the words of encouragement and tips guys!
It means a great deal to talk with people who truly know what it's like. despite the doctor's good intentions or my family's, they don't get it fully. My mom often says, read a book, watch t.v. to take your mind off it. That I could do if I could only get my spasming larynx controlled! I miss my books.

Really, I can handle all the typical LPR symptoms, burning throat, mucus/ nasal drip, referred ear pain, ect
It's the blasted VCD, the inability to breath (which for me is 24/7 no matter what i'm thinking nor my activity level). My larynx has really taken a beating and doesn't want to open when I inhale. It then causes all the other nerves and muscles in my neck to completely tense up. It feels often like I'm being strangled or some one is stepping on me with their full weight.

The last time I had this it took a full month before I was prescribed klonopin. That was for anxiety prior to me knowing what I was indeed suffering was LPR and now I also know VCD. However, it really helped!! And I'm certain that is because it allowed my larynx to relax. It didn't work over night but, after I began it along with the Nexium, and lifestyle modifications it made a bug difference. I was able to go out and do things. Because like I said for me, I can somewhat manage the other symptoms, or at the very least not let them control me. Before the Kolonpin I also developed a sever case of constrocodritis. It was so bad I could not even lightly touch my sternum or ribs, for 2 months. My should blades radiated pain too. I was told this was because I modified my breathing by bracing my self because of my larynx not functioning right.

Unfortunately, this just reappeared 10 days ago. I didn't know it would get this bad and when i was at the ENT I brought up the idea of klonopin and he agreed it could help but wanted me to hold off until I went to the pulmonologist appointment on Tuesday this week. There I will be doing breathing therapy. He said if my larynx was relaxed we would not be able to accurately start the therapy and see how it's malfunctioning as I do things. Now that I think about it after 4 days have passed and I've only gotten worse, I'm so upset I wasn't put on it. I graduated yesterday but was in so much agony over the pressure/ tightness/ and breathlessness I could not attend (Interestingly my thesis oral defense is the day my LPR returned, stress-related? I suspect so). That broke my heart. I'm still hopeful though. I have moments. Like 1-5 minutes a day where my breathing is 50% better and I feel clarity, relief and like my old self. I know it will get better.

tclarklpr:
when you went on your trip where were you time wise in your recovery? Seems closer to 6 months? My LPR reemerged just 10 days ago. But I'm still considering what I should do. It's really depressing :/ I wish this had happened after the trip or much sooner then the trip, so I had time to heal. It would never be a great time but...

Again, thank you everyone for the support, it means a heck of a lot right now!

The following user gives a hug of support to emwitty:
worrywartmom39 (05-15-2011)
Old 05-15-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
(female)

worrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB User

I have had the breathing issues before, luckily not this go around, but I have had them. I felt like I was absolutely suffocating. I could only get a deep breath out of every 15 shallow ones. It was awful. At that time I truly believed I was going to die. The depression, sadness, anxiety, everything was so overwhelming for me. I know what you're saying but you will get better and be okay. Again, I think this trip would help you with the anxiety I am sure you're feeling. Just try and enjoy yourself and relax. Give it time :-)

Old 05-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
(female)

emwitty HB User

The breathing is so frustrating!!
How long does it typically last for you?
i've only had one LPR flare before. It was a part of my life for a year and then gone for 4. so, I only have that experience to base it one. My family is saying not to assume it will take so many months this time. Every time is different. But I have looked everywhere online for snippets of encouragement and I have to say thus far I have not seen anyone who's gotten quick (meaning 4-8 weeks) relief. However, maybe those people don't turn to the net because they are better.

Also, did you find anything helped you breathing? I am going to for vocal therapy. However, i know no matter what the breath techniques they won't do much until the acid is under control. Oddly the act of eating helps too. It's just after that I feel the unpleasant affects. Like I said the benzo helped.

Honestly, this is so aggravating. When I don't have the LPR symptoms I'm generally a physically fit, active busy and content person.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:07 AM   #8
(male)

Quote:
Thanks for all the words of encouragement and tips guys!
It means a great deal to talk with people who truly know what it's like. despite the doctor's good intentions or my family's, they don't get it fully. My mom often says, read a book, watch t.v. to take your mind off it. That I could do if I could only get my spasming larynx controlled! I miss my books.

Really, I can handle all the typical LPR symptoms, burning throat, mucus/ nasal drip, referred ear pain, ect
It's the blasted VCD, the inability to breath (which for me is 24/7 no matter what i'm thinking nor my activity level). My larynx has really taken a beating and doesn't want to open when I inhale. It then causes all the other nerves and muscles in my neck to completely tense up. It feels often like I'm being strangled or some one is stepping on me with their full weight.

The last time I had this it took a full month before I was prescribed klonopin. That was for anxiety prior to me knowing what I was indeed suffering was LPR and now I also know VCD. However, it really helped!! And I'm certain that is because it allowed my larynx to relax. It didn't work over night but, after I began it along with the Nexium, and lifestyle modifications it made a bug difference. I was able to go out and do things. Because like I said for me, I can somewhat manage the other symptoms, or at the very least not let them control me. Before the Kolonpin I also developed a sever case of constrocodritis. It was so bad I could not even lightly touch my sternum or ribs, for 2 months. My should blades radiated pain too. I was told this was because I modified my breathing by bracing my self because of my larynx not functioning right.

Unfortunately, this just reappeared 10 days ago. I didn't know it would get this bad and when i was at the ENT I brought up the idea of klonopin and he agreed it could help but wanted me to hold off until I went to the pulmonologist appointment on Tuesday this week. There I will be doing breathing therapy. He said if my larynx was relaxed we would not be able to accurately start the therapy and see how it's malfunctioning as I do things. Now that I think about it after 4 days have passed and I've only gotten worse, I'm so upset I wasn't put on it. I graduated yesterday but was in so much agony over the pressure/ tightness/ and breathlessness I could not attend (Interestingly my thesis oral defense is the day my LPR returned, stress-related? I suspect so). That broke my heart. I'm still hopeful though. I have moments. Like 1-5 minutes a day where my breathing is 50% better and I feel clarity, relief and like my old self. I know it will get better.

tclarklpr:
when you went on your trip where were you time wise in your recovery? Seems closer to 6 months? My LPR reemerged just 10 days ago. But I'm still considering what I should do. It's really depressing :/ I wish this had happened after the trip or much sooner then the trip, so I had time to heal. It would never be a great time but...

Again, thank you everyone for the support, it means a heck of a lot right now!
It is amazing how close your conditions are to mine, including all of the pains - chest and ear. Lets please stay in touch, as it is helpful to see what the professionals tell you along the way too. Prior to my trip I had only been on single does PPI and some Xanax - which was not enough for my throat to heal. When I left, I was still having problems. I think one of the reasons I felt better during my trip is that I was much much more relaxed and not focused on the troat - i.e, enjoying a crepe rather than writing on LPR blogs.. ha. I still had issues, but just not as bad. Please go - worst case scenario is you have to take an 8 hour flight home to go to the doc - it takes weeks to get an appt anyway. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the trip. At the time, I lacked a diagnosis of the vocal cord/nerve issues. Hence, the reason I still suffer 6 months later.

Only recently have I started the 2x PPI - and because of PVVN and vocal cord function I too was given Klonopin. Just like you, I too could not deal with the extreme tired feeling during the day (I see the ENT again in one week - so I am back on Xanax).

The breathing issue is my #1 complaint.. but the others are there too. I saw Pulminologist - did the breathing test - what it will show (I bet) is that your lung is functioning OK or at least in the "normal range" - but it will show signs of upper respiratory issues (the bottom part of the curve will be flat... ask to see the picture, you'll see that it looks like a mountain above the line and flatter below the line). Do not let the doc put you on a steroid or nasal spray unless he can say definitively that your lung is not functioning well or that he can sense inflamation in the lung. They told me the inhaler improved my flow by only 10% - this is not a compelling case for lung issues. Sometimes I feel that docs think they need to give you something to make you feel like you got something out of the visit....many of the sprays can actually irritate your throat. My pulminologist twice said I think your lungs are OK - but you show signs of bad upper respiratory functioning which is standard for LPR. I tried an inhaler and it helped just a bit, but confirmed for me the problem was nerve/throat, etc. And, I got a sore throat from the spray.

Strange questions - when you take a big gulp of water do you ever feel like it is hard to breathe right afterwards, or even feel like you cant swallow the gulp? However, when you eat does your breathing feel better and you swallow with no problem? Do you ever get a feeling that your stomach flutters - almost tingles and then you get sensations in your arms or legs? Do you have constant burps - not the hard gross ones, but soft air pocket feelings just below the adams apple?

Thank you -

Old 05-16-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
(female)

emwitty HB User

Hi there,

First: you sound like you are describing me nearly to a t. how comforting but also madding. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this junk too.

" when you take a big gulp of water do you ever feel like it is hard to breathe right afterwards, or even feel like you cant swallow the gulp? However, when you eat does your breathing feel better and you swallow with no problem? "

Yes, and Yes. I have no idea why this would be. I feel so much better during the act of eating in terms of my breathing. Obviously our larynx is able to relax during this time. However, after a while I feel worse because of the resulting reflux.

"Do you ever get a feeling that your stomach flutters - almost tingles and then you get sensations in your arms or legs? "

Yes! again I have no clue what this is about but I do get this from time to time and kinda note it in my head like, "oh! well, that felt odd".

"Do you have constant burps - not the hard gross ones, but soft air pocket feelings just below the adams apple?"

I had that all day everyday my last LPR flare. It went on like that for a good 3 months and gradually dissipated. This time it happens rarely however, I'm sure we both have experienced shifting symptoms as we try to heal. But I want to say that is totally normal with LPR.

Thank you for all your words of advice. Its cool to see and read someone with these crazy symptoms went out into the world and had a good time!!

I really need to go back on something like Klonopin or Xanax. Until I got LPR I would never have taken them but I'm sure you would agree at times its the only way to get through the day. I was only on Klonopin for a few months 4 years ago. It was a situational need. I never became dependent nor would have wanted to because it makes you fell funny- duh! Also, I made sure to go off it gradually. I'm pretty sure I was on a very low dose too.

I'm going to have my breathing tested tomorrow. I so hope that doc will prescribe me one of those drugs, or one similar. Last time is was a psychiatrist (who I had been seeing to emotionally get through the physical discomfort and pain) did. I'm not sure if an ENT/ Pulminologist would. Do you think if I explain the physical and emotional toll it is taking they would? Like literally all the muscles and nerves in my neck are so tense/ swollen/ tightened I can barley move my neck. It radiates down my back and I contort my body to adjust to the limited air supply my larynx is allowing me to breath when inhaling. Last night I felt the beginnings of costochondritis but this time I know what it is. I did take a nasin (it's the only thing that helps, I know it's not the best with reflux) and put an ice pack on me. And I think the tightened neck is the reason for the breathing problems. I do think the breathing problems are a result of the body trying to protect itself from the acid coming up too. Its all connected into this lovely package. So, I need those meds and will only want to take them until I get a bit better. Those meds were made for times like these.

Yeah, I'm pretty certain this is NOT asthma. My family member has it. This is only trouble breathing when I inhale which is how VCD is not asthma. So, I will not take any asthma meds.

It's good to know you are NOW finally on PPIs 2xs a day. I think it will make a huge difference.

Hope today is a good one in terms of your recovery. I'd love be in touch since we have similar concerns and struggles.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
(female)

emwitty HB User

Also, do you have any suggestions on what brought yours on?
I was on for a while at the time a hugely friendly acid reflux diet. Not because of fear of refluxing but I was just trying to be healthy. So, I don't think diet was the culprit.

This time I think it was stress induced. That's not to say it was or is in my head because the physiological/ psychological are intertwined. I had for the past month been preparing my thesis and oral defense for graduation. The night before the oral defense I was SO anxious. I took NyQuil to go to sleep. I never do that ordinarily because that's a huge no-no. When I went to my defense I felt funny. I couldn't quite pin it down as LPR because it had been so long. I talked for 2 hours straight and go through it fine. However, I know my nerves we shot! My adrenaline through the roof. Its not that by knowing it was cause by stress I can magically undo it and fix it because now I must figure out how to heal, which on the inside takes time. But, it's good to consider so I can prevent it from the future.

Oddly the last time I had LPR it was around the same time of year- within 2 weeks. I'm not sure if I was stressed then. I don't recall that being the case however, the body sometimes knows what we don't allow our minds to acknowledge.

I heard many people have had colds or have been on antibiotics prior. Some say stress. Some don't have a clue as to why it came at a certain time. I'm interested in knowing your thoughts on how yours started.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I have some of the symptoms you two are describing: the belching, the difficulty swallowing water.

For me it's a little different, because I actually do have asthma, triggered by allergies and cold air. The reason I know it is asthma is that when I take my rescue inhaler, it helps a lot.

I've had reflux for a while, mostly just sore throats or burning belly during stressful times. I took Prilosec and watched my diet and rarely had bothersome symptoms. After I developed asthma last year, that's when the reflux got bad. I don't know if it was the asthma medicines (sometimes they mess with the digestive system) or the coughing and fighting to breathe or just the stress, but it hasn't quite settled down since.

Oddly enough, I was fine during the oral defense for my thesis. During my preliminary examinations, though, I was practically sideways in my chair from the stomach pain!

The following user gives a hug of support to janewhite1:
emwitty (05-16-2011)
Old 05-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #12
(male)

Quote:
Also, do you have any suggestions on what brought yours on?
I was on for a while at the time a hugely friendly acid reflux diet. Not because of fear of refluxing but I was just trying to be healthy. So, I don't think diet was the culprit.

This time I think it was stress induced. That's not to say it was or is in my head because the physiological/ psychological are intertwined. I had for the past month been preparing my thesis and oral defense for graduation. The night before the oral defense I was SO anxious. I took NyQuil to go to sleep. I never do that ordinarily because that's a huge no-no. When I went to my defense I felt funny. I couldn't quite pin it down as LPR because it had been so long. I talked for 2 hours straight and go through it fine. However, I know my nerves we shot! My adrenaline through the roof. Its not that by knowing it was cause by stress I can magically undo it and fix it because now I must figure out how to heal, which on the inside takes time. But, it's good to consider so I can prevent it from the future.

Oddly the last time I had LPR it was around the same time of year- within 2 weeks. I'm not sure if I was stressed then. I don't recall that being the case however, the body sometimes knows what we don't allow our minds to acknowledge.

I heard many people have had colds or have been on antibiotics prior. Some say stress. Some don't have a clue as to why it came at a certain time. I'm interested in knowing your thoughts on how yours started.
My theory is all of my issues were stress induced and then made worse by my reaction to them. I work in finance and things can spiral quickly (was at Bear Stearns when that one spun out of control too! but I survived that without any LPR? ha). From June to December last year things were very crazy at work. There were signs - some throat tightness, some difficulty swallowing, poor sleep, etc. I had never even heard of LPR... or GERD for that matter. I chalked everything up to being busy at work and would medicate with a Xanax and beer or vodka at the bar below my office. Long story short, closed a deal in December and released 6 months of stress in one big night of drinking with friends, work partners and clients... had fun, but the next day everything changed.

Started with burps (uncontrollable), then dry coughs and some choking episodes... about a month later TMJ, then ear pain and hearing loss, then pain in chest, then a bad EKG and night in the hospital (I am only 34!!!!), then throat pain, then vocal fatigue, then... couldnt breathe.

I think that my problems were building up over time.. and then exploded during one threshold event in late December. Since then, I think my anxiety and depression over my health has led to more problems... and frankly, a snowball effect. In other words, I caused all of this... and then made it all worse and worse and worse.

Last month I finally took a big pause and said I have to get this under control. Found a prominent ENT in the city (did every test I needed and started new medication - said I have LPR and vagal nerve damage), got a physical therapist for my jaw and pain issues (this has worked wonders on my jaw), went on an EXTREME anti-acid diet.. and started blogging to learn about how others are dealing with this stuff. Just today I booked my first appointment with another therapist to help me better deal with work stress, anxiety, etc. I sort of view the PPIs and Klonopins as a bridge over troubled water.. but I ultimately dont want to go through this crap again. My hope is that whatever I have done to myself - call it LPR or PVVN or whatever- isnt permanent. My next ENT chat is in one week.. looking forward to how things look after 2 weeks on the scope.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:53 PM   #13
(female)

emwitty HB User

gosh, school is one stressful journey. It seems some of us internalize all the stress to manage then this stuff pops up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
I have some of the symptoms you two are describing: the belching, the difficulty swallowing water.

For me it's a little different, because I actually do have asthma, triggered by allergies and cold air. The reason I know it is asthma is that when I take my rescue inhaler, it helps a lot.

I've had reflux for a while, mostly just sore throats or burning belly during stressful times. I took Prilosec and watched my diet and rarely had bothersome symptoms. After I developed asthma last year, that's when the reflux got bad. I don't know if it was the asthma medicines (sometimes they mess with the digestive system) or the coughing and fighting to breathe or just the stress, but it hasn't quite settled down since.

Oddly enough, I was fine during the oral defense for my thesis. During my preliminary examinations, though, I was practically sideways in my chair from the stomach pain!

Old 05-17-2011, 12:09 AM   #14
(female)

emwitty HB User

Yeah, guess we're gonna have to take it easy. I too am young, 27, active (when not having this flare) and have a lot of great things in my life. I am also a type A personality and like things to be done right. I put a lot of unneeded stress on myself and I know I hold in the stress to achieve. I'm an artist so I really want to get back on my feet and be in the print shop or studio. That's physically demanding but, so rewarding.

I don't think it's acceptable to have to put up with larynx spasming 24/7. I have only read one other person thus far who has that experience (there are probably many people who do). But, it seems most people get little bursts here or there. Those are awful enough. But I never seem get a break from them. Gee! It causes me to have horrible posture and other symptoms previously mentioned. I had this the whole 6 months last time. That is mainly why was pretty much bedridden for 3 months. I will not have that this time. I just graduated, I have a residency/internship lined up in Chicago and I have a life to live. I read about botox injections that help with spasms and are given if they are sever enough. I think mine are pretty awful. Oh and now I can't swallow my food! Golden If nothing else I'll take a sedative.

Anyway, I understand what it means to be young in a big city and stuck in your body. It's what is referred to as a 'bummer'.
Your line of work seems totally stressful and the therapist seems a good idea. I'm sure you appreciate your job and it's what you are trained in! We just need a little guidance to relax take a deep breath, literally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclarklpr View Post
My theory is all of my issues were stress induced and then made worse by my reaction to them. I work in finance and things can spiral quickly (was at Bear Stearns when that one spun out of control too! but I survived that without any LPR? ha). From June to December last year things were very crazy at work. There were signs - some throat tightness, some difficulty swallowing, poor sleep, etc. I had never even heard of LPR... or GERD for that matter. I chalked everything up to being busy at work and would medicate with a Xanax and beer or vodka at the bar below my office. Long story short, closed a deal in December and released 6 months of stress in one big night of drinking with friends, work partners and clients... had fun, but the next day everything changed.

Started with burps (uncontrollable), then dry coughs and some choking episodes... about a month later TMJ, then ear pain and hearing loss, then pain in chest, then a bad EKG and night in the hospital (I am only 34!!!!), then throat pain, then vocal fatigue, then... couldnt breathe.

I think that my problems were building up over time.. and then exploded during one threshold event in late December. Since then, I think my anxiety and depression over my health has led to more problems... and frankly, a snowball effect. In other words, I caused all of this... and then made it all worse and worse and worse.

Last month I finally took a big pause and said I have to get this under control. Found a prominent ENT in the city (did every test I needed and started new medication - said I have LPR and vagal nerve damage), got a physical therapist for my jaw and pain issues (this has worked wonders on my jaw), went on an EXTREME anti-acid diet.. and started blogging to learn about how others are dealing with this stuff. Just today I booked my first appointment with another therapist to help me better deal with work stress, anxiety, etc. I sort of view the PPIs and Klonopins as a bridge over troubled water.. but I ultimately dont want to go through this crap again. My hope is that whatever I have done to myself - call it LPR or PVVN or whatever- isnt permanent. My next ENT chat is in one week.. looking forward to how things look after 2 weeks on the scope.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:35 AM   #15
(female)

emwitty HB User

Oh yeah, what does your "EXTREME anti-acid diet" consist of? And when do you eat an when do you take your meds?
What I am eating isn't anything that should upset reflux but i'm eating almost nothing because my taste buds are zapped and my breathing becomes worse later with any food. But I know various foods have the ability to help heal the reflux/ stomach problems so I should probably find a more consistent diet.

Closed Thread