It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
(female)

RoxieHart HB User
Motility Testing: SCARED

My GI doc is scheduling an Esophageal Manometry test for me. I'm terrified. I'm also not convinced it's needed but if I do have it... how is it?

Things up my nose/down my throat are the worst type of test for me.
I barely tolerated the ENT doc putting that scope up my nose (to look down my throat) and during my endoscopy last Fall, I woke up as they pulled out the scope and choked! Then they knocked me out again. I still have nightmares, literally, from that experience.

The following user gives a hug of support to RoxieHart:
worrywartmom39 (05-16-2011)
Old 05-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
(female)

worrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB User
Re: Motility Testing: SCARED

I've never had this test your talking of but I can relate to your fears. I know alot of people have said the up the nose down the throat scope test is not bad but it terrifies me. Just the thought of up the nose......ughhhhhhh.......now for me an endoscopy is a piece of cake, at least the GI doc I had that did mine. I get scared too, well I get scared or anxious about everything in life.. Try not to be scared :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I've had 2 Manometry tests over the last several years. It is a useful test to find out how well your LES is functioning. I had mine in conjunction with 24 hr pH tests as well.

While I can't say I looked forward to them, I didn't find them too bad.

The technician should talk you through every step of the process. He will numb your nose and throat before inserting the probe. When the probe is inserted, he will have you drinking water through a straw. Your swallowing motions will help the probe go down easier and it will help with the gag reflux. What helped me was to just think about swallowing the water and not about the probe. It is something you do all the time.

I think the total process when the probe was inserted was less than 10 minutes. The thing that took the longest was waiting for the numbing stuff to kick in before the test.

The probe comes out quite easily.

I wish you well during your test.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
(female)

RoxieHart HB User

Thank you, MountainReader. Anxiety aside, I'm not convinced I need this test. I had a barium swallow where it was determined there was no motility issue. I think I just fall into this no-man's land category with my symptoms (I'll write the whole story in another post later today).
I've had so many invasive tests in the last two months I just don't think I can handle another - and this is by far the scariest. I honestly didn't think there was any other test they could do that would be "needed" or scare me more than the previous test. It just seems never-ending.

Should I decide to have the test (which may take months to book) I'll definitely reread your post to help put me at ease.

Last edited by RoxieHart; 05-17-2011 at 08:32 AM.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
(female)

RoxieHart HB User

Hi worrywartmom,

My first endoscopy was last Fall. I was *terrified* and freaked out the 6 weeks prior to the test. In retrospect, it wasn't bad at all because I was knocked out and felt great after. The bad part was, as I mentioned, waking up to the scope being pulled. That was terrifying, not being able to breath and not knowing what was happening. Thank goodness they knocked me out quickly again. But I do still have nightmares about it. My body relives it

But I'm glad someone can appreciate my anxiety (panic??). I haven't decided whether I'll do this test or not. I worry about the side effects, which would only make my original symptoms worse. What a dilemma!

Thanks again for your understanding

Last edited by RoxieHart; 05-17-2011 at 08:37 AM.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi, Ive never had the scope up my nose and down my throat. I know I myself would definitely not have that done. I have problems often with swallowing. My son recons he can hear me swallow liquids from across the other side of the room (Big Room). I always have a feeling of something stuck in my throat and feel I could choke easily. I have had three Endoscopies, they were no trouble as I was sedated, I don't recall them at all.
If you go ahead I wish you well, make sure you tell them your fears. All the best, Solofelix.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:37 AM   #7
(female)

neptunian808 HB Userneptunian808 HB User

a manometry is a piece of cake if you relax, if your are tense you are gonna gag a lot, the difficult part is not really the test but what comes later when the dr decides if he wants to operate on you or not, if you have gerd you'll probably have an abnormal test result and be a candidate for a nissen, good luck.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:54 AM   #8
(female)

RoxieHart HB User

Hi Neptunian,
Well, I can guarantee I'll be tense! They don't know what the F is wrong with me, forgive my "language". I'm just so over it all. I honestly don't think I need this test. I have acid reflux but never had symptoms. I had the barium swallow and that showed the reflux. Went on Prilosec for 2 months (20mg) and now on prescription zantac at 150mg 1x day. Since then I have had dry mouth, tingling and lots of belching. They are using those as symptoms and not side effects, and ordering test after test.

I've had 2 nuclear tests, x-rays, endoscopy, stress test, bloodwork, gastric emptying, barium swallow and the ENT putting that thing up my nose. Everything is normal except some reflux. Yes, I have difficulty in reflexive swallowing but it seems worse since being on medication.

Oral surgeon says I have "burning mouth syndrome" and need Klonopin. Gastro-doc doesn't think I need Klonopin and burning mouth doc doesn't think I need antacids. I told them both to talk to one another and in the meantime, I'm not having invasive testing done just to "rule out" stuff. Everything has been ruled out. The barium swallow showed NO motility problems. Endoscopy showed NOTHING, not even signs of reflux.

I'm perplexed.

And angry, can ya tell? LOL

I don't know what nissen is but just because someone has GERD doesn't mean they need surgery!

Old 05-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi, I think there comes a time when you say NO MORE!!.. This happened to me. I had every test under the sun. Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Cat-Scan, Ultra-Sound, Blood Tests, MRI-Scan, you name it Ive had it. I refuse now to have any more. And so I have all the Symptoms you have. I was diagnosed with AR/Gerd , Diverticulitis, Hiatal-Hernia.
I left of PPIs, made things worse and I am now learning to live with the symptoms. I now stick with a healthy diet, take OTC Antacids and also Aloe Vera Juice. I still have problems but so do a lot of others on here and they are on every type of medication.
The choice is yours, whatever you decide Good Luck. Solofelix.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
(female)

neptunian808 HB Userneptunian808 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxieHart View Post
Hi Neptunian,
Well, I can guarantee I'll be tense! They don't know what the F is wrong with me, forgive my "language". I'm just so over it all. I honestly don't think I need this test. I have acid reflux but never had symptoms. I had the barium swallow and that showed the reflux. Went on Prilosec for 2 months (20mg) and now on prescription zantac at 150mg 1x day. Since then I have had dry mouth, tingling and lots of belching. They are using those as symptoms and not side effects, and ordering test after test.

I've had 2 nuclear tests, x-rays, endoscopy, stress test, bloodwork, gastric emptying, barium swallow and the ENT putting that thing up my nose. Everything is normal except some reflux. Yes, I have difficulty in reflexive swallowing but it seems worse since being on medication.

Oral surgeon says I have "burning mouth syndrome" and need Klonopin. Gastro-doc doesn't think I need Klonopin and burning mouth doc doesn't think I need antacids. I told them both to talk to one another and in the meantime, I'm not having invasive testing done just to "rule out" stuff. Everything has been ruled out. The barium swallow showed NO motility problems. Endoscopy showed NOTHING, not even signs of reflux.

I'm perplexed.

And angry, can ya tell? LOL

I don't know what nissen is but just because someone has GERD doesn't mean they need surgery!

i've had all those tests plus more, the drs dont know what to do with me either (chronic laryngitis) i also took ppi's for more than 6 months, nothing happened, some drs say i have reflux (i do have it confirmed by MII testing) others call me crazy, others simply say "i dont know". If you have LPR an endoscopy is likely to "show nothing" so is the barium swallow, you need to get ph monitoring or go for something more precise (MII) there you can detect all kinds of reflux, liquid, solid, gaseous, acid, non acid, weakly acid, its an expensive test though but worth it to confirm what you really have.

Last edited by neptunian808; 05-19-2011 at 04:03 PM.

Closed Thread