It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
(female)

Cards HB User
Nissen fundo in 3 weeks - what to expect?

Hi everyone! I am finally having the nissen fundoplication surgery, to repair my hiatal hernia in 3 weeks. I was first diagnosed with it in 2003. But over the years my symptoms have gotten much worse (i.e. difficulty breathing deeply, horrible reflux even with meds, pain abdomen, etc.). So my gasteroenterologist suggested I have the surgery & I am all for it! I realize it may not cure me of the reflux, but I sure am hoping it relieves the pain & breathing problems. Can you all please give me some advice on what to expect for the latheroscopic surgery? Pain afterwatds, hospital stay, diet changes, etc. I heard I might lose a few pounds which couldn't hurt! Please help me I am in desperate need of advice! Thank you all so much! SO glad I found this forum!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2011, 10:57 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Nissen fundo in 3 weeks - what to expect?

I had a laproscopic Nissen Fundoplication in October of 2008. I don't have much time tonight, but I'd love to answer your questions. You can also feel free to read my posts on the acid reflux board prior to and right after October 2008.

My procedure was done as an "outpatient" one with 23 hours in the hospital. Healing was slow, but everything went well. I was basically "symptom free" upon waking up from the surgery. Great for me since my breathing issue had become severe.

Catch you more later.

MountainReader

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
(female)

Cards HB User

Thanks for replying! What types of breathing problems did you have? And what was your diet like after the surgery?

Old 05-19-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
(female)

Todd74 HB User

Hi there,
I also had a Nissan in 2008 and am more than happy to answer any questions you have.
The operation went well for me and I had a 360 degree wrap. The degree of wrap does have an affect on the symptoms too so ask your surgeon what he is planning to do.
After the operation I was not allowed to eat meat or bread for some time and was on a liquid diet to start gradually working up to soft foods.
You will find you can only eat tiny meals and you need to chew everything thoroughly before swallowing.
I did have some issues with swallowing occasionally this was often due to eating to fast. When you drink you will need to sip and not gulp or the swallowing be ones an issue.
I had severe symptoms before the op that had got so bad I cooky not keep any food down and had permanent reflux and sickness.
This stopped immediately after surgery.
Pain wise it was not bad the worst pain is the air in your shoulders but this is helped a lot by moving around as much as possible.
Burping was impossible but now I can do tiny burps and although being sick is not meant to be possible I had an illness and I was sick with it but that was severe heaving, I have had minor bugs which have made me heave ut not be sick.
I lost a lot of weight initially nearly two stone but this settled and I keep a consistent weight now.
I can still only eat tiny meals and find if I drink before I eat I vpcant eat a meal. It does change your eating habits but for the better I think.
I do not regret my operation one little bit and would not be worried if I had to go through it again. I have had lots of operations for various things and the Nissan was not as bad as others.
You will haw five little scars which heal quickly and fade to tiny little marks.
I wish you the best of luck and hope all goes well for you.
If I can answer any questions feel free to contact me or ask on here and I will do my best to answer them.
Take care
Clair x

Old 05-20-2011, 05:24 AM   #5
(female)

Cards HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd74 View Post
Hi there,
I also had a Nissan in 2008 and am more than happy to answer any questions you have.
The operation went well for me and I had a 360 degree wrap. The degree of wrap does have an affect on the symptoms too so ask your surgeon what he is planning to do.
After the operation I was not allowed to eat meat or bread for some time and was on a liquid diet to start gradually working up to soft foods.
You will find you can only eat tiny meals and you need to chew everything thoroughly before swallowing.
I did have some issues with swallowing occasionally this was often due to eating to fast. When you drink you will need to sip and not gulp or the swallowing be ones an issue.
I had severe symptoms before the op that had got so bad I cooky not keep any food down and had permanent reflux and sickness.
This stopped immediately after surgery.
Pain wise it was not bad the worst pain is the air in your shoulders but this is helped a lot by moving around as much as possible.
Burping was impossible but now I can do tiny burps and although being sick is not meant to be possible I had an illness and I was sick with it but that was severe heaving, I have had minor bugs which have made me heave ut not be sick.
I lost a lot of weight initially nearly two stone but this settled and I keep a consistent weight now.
I can still only eat tiny meals and find if I drink before I eat I vpcant eat a meal. It does change your eating habits but for the better I think.
I do not regret my operation one little bit and would not be worried if I had to go through it again. I have had lots of operations for various things and the Nissan was not as bad as others.
You will haw five little scars which heal quickly and fade to tiny little marks.
I wish you the best of luck and hope all goes well for you.
If I can answer any questions feel free to contact me or ask on here and I will do my best to answer them.
Take care
Clair x
Thanks Todd74, I really appreciate it your feedback. I am so glad that you are doing so well. I sure hope to have the same results I just feel as thought I have been dealing with this for so many years, I cannot wait to finally get some relief. The biggest problem that I have is the breathing. My breathing is too shallow, I can never get a deep breath. And it has really affected my physical activity, which is hard for me because I am VERY physically active. I have had a few panic attacks over the years because of this, it just really worries me and gives me anxiety. I hope it goes well for me, thanks so much for your support!!!

Old 05-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User

Hi you all talk of breathing problems. What sort of breathing problems are you all having?

I'm undergoing investigations now for what i thought was an allergy or post chest infection problems. The problem i have had apart from a bad cough and reflux of acid and sometimes food is that it feels like this has gotten into my lungs !

Ive just started Nexium and had an inhaler which im struggling to use. Im also having a CT scan of myt lungs and hopefully my upper stomach.

I'm just very interested in what sort of breathing problems others are having, to see if maybe im getting the same.
Thanks

Closed Thread