It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
(female)

AnonHandle HB User
Do your symptoms fluctuate?

Background: I've suffered from what I thought was reflux for nearly two years and was put on 60 mg. Prevacid. During a course of antibiotics in February, my reflux came charging back, so 150 mg. Zantac was added. That made no difference so I stopped, but on my PCP's recommendation, I saw a GI doctor, who recommended an upper endoscopy. The UE was normal and the doctor that performed it speculated that I don't actually have reflux, and recommended getting checked for asthma as well as dealing with my allergies.

I've been taking Culturelle (probiotic supplement) for about three months.

A few days ago, I decided to start weaning myself off of my PPIs to see if I could handle it. I take two pills a day, but skipped my evening pill one day, took it the next, and skipped it yesterday. Two days ago I also took two doses of apple cider vinegar + baking soda, although have had none since.

Yesterday morning, after some initial post-breakfast discomfort, my reflux symptoms seemed to magically disappear. I have no clue if it's because my allergies are better, or because I gave up coffee/caffeine cold turkey two days ago, or because the wind was blowing from the east. I haven't felt this good in months - I've now eaten several meals with no consequences whatsoever.

Does anyone else have their symptoms come and go? Naturally I'm fearful mine will return, but for now keep I just inhaling sharply and deeply because I'm so excited to be able to do so without pain or the need to cough. I also indulged in some tomatoes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
(male)

miketx HB Usermiketx HB User
Re: Do your symptoms fluctuate?

Mine come and go with no apparent rhyme or reason. I'll go several days with no problems whatsoever, to the point that I wonder if I'm cured. Then I'll be symptomatic for a day or three.

Oh yeah, in the periods when I do have symptoms, my symptoms are always different. First it was a bad taste in my mouth, then the taste went away and I lost my voice, then my voice returned and my tongue became irritated, then my tongue healed and the top of my mouth became sore, then my mouth felt better but heartburn entered the equation...

I keep a tight diet, so it's not the food. Stress comes and goes at home and work but doesn't seem to correlate with my symptoms.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
(female)

worrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB User

My problems appear to come and go. The LPR I have been dealing with now (more so than GERD at this point) is new to the equation though. I have not had breathing problems in a long time but that is not to say it won't happen again. What I would say to you is to feel blessed that your body seems to have gone into remission from this disease, at least for awhile. You are a lucky one no doubt! Congratulations on feeling 100 percent once again! :-)

Old 05-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
(female)

AnonHandle HB User

Thanks to both of you.

worrywartmom, unfortunately I'm not symptom free anymore, but I'm not upset just yet. I'm busy weaning myself off my of Prevacid so I suspect I'm getting some rebound symptoms, and thus far they are unpleasant but tolerable.

It was so interesting how my symptoms tracked perfectly the prediction for pollen in my area - we had two days of low pollen and I felt like a million bucks on those days. On the third day, when the pollen count was back up, I had some symptoms again. I didn't feel different otherwise and would have sworn up and down that I was having no allergic reaction to anything, but apparently that wasn't the case. So, so interesting.

miketx - I don't know if it's the Singulair that I'm now taking, but the taste is my mouth is just awful at times, especially in the middle of the night. Not ideal, but I will take this over pain any day.

Closed Thread