It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
(male)

lexcorp HB User
Might I have acid reflux?

Hi,
I've pretty much never heard of 'acid reflux', but recently stumbled upon the term.

Occasionally, I get a very 'uncomfortable' feeling, usually at evening/night and after eating a meal.
Sometimes it feels like a strange burning feeling/senstation in my throat, and with experimenting, I learnt over the years that drinking milk instantly seemed to cure the feeling.

Sometimes its an even more uncomfortable feeling that I really struggle to describe. This happens less frequently. My chest and throat just feel 'tight'. I don't know how else to put it.

My parents always say it sounds like a little 'heart burn' and so i've never thought much of it. It always goes away after a while so no big deal.

Anyway, I've also had a yellowish tongue for AGES, and its been starting to bug me recently. I want a nice pink tongue, and, upon searching for cures/reasons for a yellow tongue, I discovered about acid reflux.

I could just be getting carried away with research but it seems to tie in with all kinds of symptoms that i've had for a very long time.

I take good care of my teeth, brush my tongue daily and use mouthwash and floss, dentist visits etc etc, but my tongue is always yellow, and I have pretty bad 'morning breath'. After I brushed my teeth and stuff its OK, but I soon get the feeling that my breath is deteriorating early in the day.
Again, I read this is another link.

I've read that anxiety can be a cause too? I am a very anxious/nervous person by nature. I worry alot about everything. I though this was an interesting link (anxiety/Acid reflux) even if unproven at this point(??)

So, does this sound like a possibility to you?
And is there a treatment?
From the TINY amount of information that I know about it, it sounds like an operation is the only cure as opposed to pills?

thoughts? Suggestions?

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Might I have acid reflux?

Well, you probably do have heartburn. However, almost everyone has occasional heartburn. If you have symptoms bad enough to bother you 2 or more times a week, then a doctor might say you have acid reflux disease.

If drinking milk helps, keep on doing that. You may find that very greasy or spicy foods, or just eating a very big meal are more likely to trigger it. If it gets worse, medications can help. If medications don't help, surgery is an option.

It does not sound like your symptoms are severe enough for daily medication or surgery, so for now, I wouldn't worry.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
(female)

Todd74 HB User
Re: Might I have acid reflux?

You are definitely describing acid reflux but an operation is only done in extreme cases when all other avenues have been used and failed.
I suffered severe reflux for many years and it was controlled by medication foe a long time very satisfactorily although eventually it did get so bad I could not keep any food or liquid down at all.
Initially if ipyoy only experience it occasionally you can try over the counter medications such as Gaviscon oe Rennies etc then I'd these are not working your doctor can prescribe something stronger.
Only then if symptoms continue or worsen would you be referred to a gastro doctor who would discuss further tests and possibility of an operation. It certainly is nor the only cure for reflux.

Closed Thread