It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
(female)

bimik HB User
Wink Manometry and 24 h ph testing for LPR !

Hi everyone,

I have been using this forum to diagnose my symptoms and decided to update my experience with the Manometry and 24 h ph study for those who are planning to undergo these procedures.

My symptoms

I have been having throat issues for more than two years now. I lived abroad before and used to work a lot. I had frequent flues and didnít take enough time to recover; as a consequence I developed constant throat issues. My throat symptoms were quite frequent and I also had lump sensation in the back of my throat (upper left side). Initially, I was diagnosed to have chronic tonsillitis. When I moved to US, my ENT diagnosed me with chronic tonsillitis as well ( I think he didnít take enough time to look at my throat and wrote done that I have tonsillitis as I told him so beforehand).

I got pretty sick during winter and had to take a course of antibiotics. I felt as if I had temperature for a month and a half and was extremely tired. My primary health care physician claimed that 37 C is not considered to be a high temperature. My urine and blood tests came back very well. Later, I started developing digestion issues. Once I overate and for a month and a half I could not eat normally due to digestion issues. I was very moody. I burped and belched all the time. I was feeling extremely bloated. I am skinny and never had a big belly but every time I ate, I would feel pregnant. I got stool test which turned to be ok. I stopped drinking coffee, eating chocolate and citrus. Iíd have throat mucus sensation which was very bothersome. Iíd feel the need to swallow but I couldnít I had very dry mouth and occasional acid taste. One day I had so much mucus I was afraid to go to sleep, I thought I will suffocate. I experimented with DGLs and Betaine H supplements for low acidity. Later I went to check my throat with several other ENTs who claimed that my tonsils are very small and donít look infected. Then I got a throat scope which showed that my larynx are inflamed. My ENT wanted me to drink PPIs for 3 months to see if my symptoms would improve. I hate drinking medicine if I am not sure what is causing so I was tested against gluten intolerance which turned out to be negative. I also got tested for H Pylory, hormonal imbalance etc.

Now I am feeling better digesting food and I am doing dancing, yoga, sauna to have better health. I still decided to get my symptoms checked out.

Manometry and 24 h ph study
I asked me GI doctor to schedule Manometry and 24 h ph study. I am undergoing these tests now. The funny thing is that for the last few days I have no symptoms. The only thing is my tongue is whitish. It has been like this for couple months now.Those tests are not too pleasant but Iíd recommend you to do them if you have been experiencing LPR for a long time.

I did not eat anything before the procedures. Manometry was not too pleasant. I got very nervous and thought I will pass out. So I asked the technician to give me a few minutes to relax. After relaxing I had no problem with insertion. I was also drinking water to help the technician move the tube down my throat. One thing Iíd recommend is to check which nostril is more convenient for you to pass the tube down. My left one was much more sensitive than the right one. Once the tube is inserted, I had to lay down and drink sips of water and some jelly. It was also important not to swallow in between drinking. During the first 10-15 min it was hard, I felt the need to swallow and she had to redo it. Then I was having problems breathing but after awhile I got used to it. Girls, donít put mascara My eyes would tear a bit. Also the technician was having problems attaching the tube to my nose because it was my skin was kind of moist.

24 h tube insertion was a piece of cake compared to manometry ! Of course it is not too pleasant to have it in the nose and throat. I am glad I cooked myself dinner before the procedure because it is not very easy to move around with this device. I came home ate some rice, salad and meat. I also had some coffee with chocolate. I donít know how convenient will it be to sleep with the device but I will go to bed really late to be very sleepy. My husband said he can sleep on the sofa if needed but I think Iíll be fine.
I am experiencing no symptoms such as sore throat, mucus or acid taste. I hope the test will be useful. The only thing is I donít see any PH numbers on my device. I read that a few of the other people who had the test done would post their ph levels in the forum. Mine only says recording , shows that I am in an upright position and has the options to record my symptoms.

I will update the results on the forum as well. I really hope to find some cure !!! I am tired of having to deal with health issues. Good luck to all of you guys ! And if you have questions, please let me know.

Best regards,
Bimik

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
(female)

Todd74 HB User
Re: Manometry and 24 h ph testing for LPR !

Good luck with the test and hope you get some answers.
I have had the tests three times now.
The 24 hour test isn't too bad and sleeping with it is not too much hassle.
It does feel weird when you eat with the tube inserted as it tightens round the nose as you swallow which feels odd.
It is a very good test but make sure you fill in the questionnaire if you get one and if your symptoms were less severe than usual explain that when you go back to have it removed.
I think sometimes symptoms are different as having the tube inserted makes you eat less and slower which helps with the symptoms usually experienced but even so if the acidity levels are high then it is very accurate.
To anyone going for these tests don't be scared.yes it is a little unpleasant but definitely not painful.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
(female)

bimik HB User

Hi Todd. Thanks a lot for your promt reply to my post. I really hope that I will find some answers. I try to make myself eat and drink like normal. I already told the technician that for the lats few days I am almost symtom free but I guess you are right, if I have bad reflux, the study should detect it. I am feeling out the questionnaire.

Frankly, manometry was bad but 24 h ph is ok. In the beginning I had runny nose but I guess I got used to the tube right now and I am feeling fine. I do feel the tube in my throat though.

Thanks a lot for your msg. I feel like I am not the only one who has to go through this and it makes me feel that this is not too much of a challenge. Were you ever able to read the results on the device? Mine doesnt tell anything regarding ph levels. Do you think the technician will tell me anythin tomorrow or I should be waiting for my appointment with the GI who ordered the tests ?

Thank you
Bimik

Old 05-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
(female)

Todd74 HB User

If you press the symptom button it usually shows the ph levels at that time but I guess there could be different types of machine. Other than that it displays the date and time so you can record when symptoms happen exactly.
As to whether you get any input when you have it removed I was told to wait outside while they looked over the results to check it had been recorded ok and they then told me that yes there was a problem and my consultant would be in touch shortly.
So you might be told if they find a problem but again it probably depends on different doctors I would think.
P.s never feel you are on your own this forum is fantastic for help and advice from people who understand what you are going through. I am more than happy to talk if you need to.
Best wishes
:-)

Last edited by Todd74; 05-19-2011 at 06:37 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Todd74:
bimik (05-19-2011)
Old 05-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
(female)

bimik HB User

Thanks a lot for your support ! I think my device is a bit different. I hope to hear some feedback from my technician tomorrow, she was very nice. My appointment with the GI doctor is only on June 7 !

Yes, this forum is wonderful. If not this forum, I would have my tonsils removed and might have had worse problems with my throat. And there were times I was quite depressed but feedback from fellow members helped me a lot!

Wishing everyone good health and positive attitude

Old 05-19-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I've had 3 pH tests done. Ironically, despite severe symptoms of reflux, on the days of most tests I actually felt pretty good with fewer symptoms than usual. Despite that, all 3 tests confirmed severe or extremely severe reflux. This is to say that even if you have fewer symptoms than normal, it should still reflect if you are having a problem.

My 3rd test was for LPR only. I took it while actively taking Dexilant and Pepcid and it still showed reflux on average 40% of the time.

I worried about getting tangled up when I slept with the monitor, but I didn't have any problems any of the 3 times. I hope it goes well with you.

Keep us posted on how you do.

MountainReader

The following user gives a hug of support to MountainReader:
bimik (05-19-2011)
Old 05-19-2011, 09:58 PM   #7
(female)

bimik HB User

Thanks a lot MountainReader for your support ! I am sorry you had to undergo this procedure 3 times. I don't have throat pain or mucus today but I belched a few times. I have to do some studying today so I will go to bed late and hope to feel asleep right away. Can't wait until this will be removed ! In fact 24 h study is not too bad if I keep myself busy. Manometry was the worst for me I got very nervous at one point and was regretting that I am making myself go through it)

I'll be back tomorrow with updates

Old 05-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #8
(female)

bimik HB User

Hi guys ! My doctor just calle dme today and briefly told me about the results. I asked her to email me those. She sais that Manometry was fine, didn't show any irregularities. 24 h ph testing didn't show any acid reflux, however, it showed non-acid reflux. She said some that my indicator was on borderline (72). She said that PPIs won't help me and I should probably try baklofen. She also mentioned that baklofen might have side effects and not eveyrone tolerates it well. I am feeling not too good now, I can feel the left part of my jawline and the pain goes up to my wisdom tooth. I already don't know if this is tonsils causing or non-acidic reflux. The doctor mentioned that non-acidic reflux shouldn't make me feel tired and cause throat pain. She even said it shouldn't cause any throat pain at all. I also took a throat culture today, the primary health care physican said that it doesn't look like I have strep but she'll do the culture. I am going to hiking in a national park tomorrow, hope to my throat won't mess up my weekend. Those are my updates...

Closed Thread