It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
(female)

tammykinz HB User
Nexium on as needed basis and gastritis

Hello

I suffer from GERD. I was prescribed nexium about a year and half ago. I used to take it daily and it totally took all my GERD problems away. Never had reflux or anything on it. I decided I didn't want to take it anymore and so when I went off it of course I had terrible rebound reflux. So then I decided I would just take it half a pill every couple days and that seemed to work. But then I got lazy and waited until I had GERD symptoms and then I would just pop one and then don't take another one again until I had GERD symptoms.

Well I am pretty sure I have gastritis right now. I had return of heartburn / acid reflux a few days ago and didn't take a nexium until today. My upper mid abdomen swelled up like a hard ball and I felt really uncomfortable and bloated and nausea. I know this is gastritis I had it before. So the treatment for gastritis often is an acid reducer or PPI. So I took a nexium again today.

I think I messed myself up by taking it on an as needed basis. I was turning my proton pump on and off / on and off. But when it started working again it causes hyperacidity, not just regular heartburn but mega heartburn. Then I was getting diarrhea and all sorts of cramps. So I think I will just take it daily again for awhile until everything heals. It got so bad that I am off work right now.

Has anyone else done this? Taken a PPI as needed and did you have a reaction like me ? This is all my theory but I think I was making things worse this way.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Nexium on as needed basis and gastritis

When I was tapering off Prilosec, for a while I took a pill every other day, but I found that made things worse for me, so I just quit entirely and used Zantac instead. (I was drug free and almost symptom-free for months, then stuff happened, now I'm back on.)

The PPIs are not an as-needed medicine. They can take days to start working, and once they are working, they're hard to quit. If you only have occasional symptoms, you'd be better off with an antacid or H2 blocker.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Nexium on as needed basis and gastritis

Hi, I almost went down the same route as you. I was prescribed NEXIUM for AR/GERD. I only took them for one week as a friend has been on them for almost two yrs and cannot leave them of or his symptoms are even worse. I didnt want that to happen to me. If I was you I would take them for a few weeks as prescribed and then half the dose for another few weeks and then try one every other day and see how things go. Good Luck, Solofelix.

Closed Thread