It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
(female)

tammykinz HB User
GERD and bowel problems

For those of you with GERD or(reflux disease) and heartburn, I am wondering could this disorder cause bowels to act up. I seriously feel that when my bowels are acting up that I have this acidic burning throughout my bowels and my bowels get very very irritated. I often get bowel urgency, incomplete evacuation problems and small loose frequent stools which sometimes alternate with constipation. I was taking Nexium as needed but I think the turning my proton pump on and off all the time was creating lots of rebound heartburn and excess acid production. I notice that when I have my bowel problems that I also have GERD symptoms.

Can the excess acidity cause bowel problems like this ?

Also I notice that sometimes when I swallow food there is a sore spot somewhere in my esophagus, I can feel it as food slides past it and I think it is some kind of damage from my frequent heartburn.

I decided to just take my nexium as ordered and take it every day. UGH I am just at such a loss. I am off work and need to try and get stable enough to get back to work. This is rediculous.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:30 AM   #2
(female)

newtothis5 HB User
Re: GERD and bowel problems

I am having the same problems. I don't know if they go hand in hand or not. I am wondering the same thing. I was just doanosed with GERD, diverticulitus, IBS and Barretts esophagus. They did an upper endoscopy and colonoscopy (SP ?). You should talk to your doc. Might be something else wrong considering the sore spot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
(female)

willow71 HB Userwillow71 HB Userwillow71 HB Userwillow71 HB User

Oh boy - Gerd can cause ALLL kinds of symptoms including bowel problems because it is digestive after all. I have had most of the symptoms. My digestive system is all jacked up when my Reflux is acting up..

The Following User Says Thank You to willow71 For This Useful Post:
newtothis5 (05-25-2011)
Old 05-25-2011, 08:18 AM   #4
(female)

newtothis5 HB User

Good info willow71! What else is common?

Old 05-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi, I have all your symptoms and the sore area in my esophagus, I know exactly when food or drink will reach that spot. I believe I once had an Ulcer in that area as I had bleeding from there or my stomach. I have been diagnosed with AR/GERd also Hiatal-Hernia and DIVERTICULITIS. Have you had a COLONSCOPY, this is how my DIVERTICULITIS was discovered, and I had all your Bowel Problems and still do. Another thing you could have would be IBS. See your DR again, a COLONOSCOPY will show what is going on. Best Wishes, Solofelix.

Closed Thread