It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011, 07:24 AM   #1
(female)

newtothis5 HB User
Missing work....does anyone else?

I am new to this and am feeling guilty for sitting here at home. I was just diagnosed with irritable bowel, diverticulosis, GERD, and Barretts esophagus. Does anyone else have this cluster of GI problems and do you miss work?

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: newtothis5
MountainReader (05-25-2011), worrywartmom39 (05-26-2011)
Old 05-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
(female)

willow71 HB Userwillow71 HB Userwillow71 HB Userwillow71 HB User
Re: Missing work....does anyone else?

I have Reflux and am on meds. I have a bout of IBS once in awhile but nothing else to speak of. Reflux gets the better of me some days, but I plug along and suffer in silence..need to keep my job...

The Following User Says Thank You to willow71 For This Useful Post:
newtothis5 (05-25-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi, Yes I Know how you feel. I have AR/GERD, HIATAL-HERNIA and DIVERTICULITIS, I'm sure all these things are connected. I don't work as I am now retired, but I do know one thing I could never go to work with these conditions. Half the time I would be in the Toilet and the other half, either in pain/nausea. Two years of this and it just goes on!
Don't get me wrong I'm a reasonably happy person and I don't let it interfere with my life (NO WAY..) I make the most of every day. Good Luck, Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
newtothis5 (05-25-2011)
Old 05-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothis5 View Post
I am new to this and am feeling guilty for sitting here at home. I was just diagnosed with irritable bowel, diverticulosis, GERD, and Barretts esophagus. Does anyone else have this cluster of GI problems and do you miss work?
I have extremely severe GERD/LPR. Ironically, I had a severe reaction to one of the popular PPI's and after just one week on it I developed IBS which I still have almost 3 years later. I also have diverticulosis as well. I had reflux surgery which helped, buy I never went off on high dose PPI's though because my GI doc said my stomach is overproducing acid so much that it has really impacted the rest of my digestive system.

I will say that at my worst, I've missed occassional days of work and more often I've gone in late. My IBS seems to be at its worst in the morning even on days I have all day problems. At one point, I was worried about the impact of missing so much work so I worked with my GI doc who completed paperwork for me to take intermittent FMLA at work. Basically, this gave me some job protection for as long as I had hours left.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
newtothis5 (05-26-2011)
Old 05-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
(female)

worrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB User

Don't feel guilty for missing a day of work. This stuff really makes a person sick as well as causing anxiety, and stress. Sometimes to alleviate symptoms relaxation is the key. I don't know how much relaxing you're getting done with worrying about your health but stressors from work sure won't help, although we all have to work to live. I hope you begin to feel better soon, though it could take some time, as all of us sufferer's are fully aware. I, myself am going to breakdown and go to my GP for anxiety medication. I really do need it. Hoping it will help as well. Again, many thoughts and well wishes

Old 05-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #6
(male)

refluxguy HB User

I use ManukaGuard Nutralize - all natural and found it in a pharmacy in New Zealand. Also available by website here in the US. I'm off the drugs.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:35 AM   #7
(female)

Baffled62 HB User

I have GERD and Barrett's. Also H-Pylori. Miserable, miserable conditions. I think if I could go back to my childbirth days and have contractions 24-7, I would prefer that to the symptoms I suffer now. I have missed quite a bit of work mostly due to doctor's appointments and related procedures. I am very fortunate as I work from my home so I'm not required to "dress up" and go into an office each day. You have my heartfelt sympathy. Hope you feel better soon!

Old 05-27-2011, 07:31 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi, I know how you feel. After treatment for H.Pylori two yrs ago Ive since had everything under the sun with my stomach and bowels.
Fortunately I am Retired now, so dont have to worry about 9-5pm anymore. I wish everyone well, Solofelix.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:31 AM   #9
(female)

Baffled62 HB User

Would you share with me what your dr gave you for the H-Pylori? My doc prescribed Pylera but with my throat problems and swallowing difficulties, I can't get them down. And you can't break, crush or "sprinkle" them. I can't swallow any pills that you can't do one of those things. He didn't give me anything else and is just waiting until my throat problems clear up but that doesn't appear to be anytime soon. And besides that, even before these problems started, I always had a really hard time swallowing pills. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I was given two types of Antibiotics and a PPI all to be taken for 7days. I remember one of the Antibiotics was in Liquid form, the others in pill form. If I remember right I crushed one and the other dissolved in water because I have difficulty swallowing pills.
It was the worst combination of pills I have ever had to take, the side effects (for me) were horrible. An Endoscopy some months later showed it had gone.
Hope this helps. Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
Baffled62 (05-27-2011)
Closed Thread